FTX Global

robertg102

Hi Folks:  I just installed FTX Global on FSX.  Looks as if the install & activation went perfectly.  Is there a way to be sure that Global is working?  I'm assuming that it's just plug and play.  I took two quick text flights but I can't actually tell if Global is working or not.  Is there a way to check to be sure Global is active and working? 

Thanks for your response Gandy.  I just realized that when I open FTX Central, I only see two icons.  Defualt & North America.  Shouldn't I also see an icon for FTX Global as well in FTX Central?  I did see something about activating lights.  I'm in the process of reinstalling Global now thinking maybe something went wrong the first go around. 

Hi Rob,

Make sure you have the latest libraries installed, after that is done you should have Global and North America in FTX Central. The lights do not need to be activated with the exception of vector road lights which are enabled through a checkbox when Global is selected.

You can post a screenshot for us to check out to see if Global is installed: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Cheers,

Alex

Where can I find a PDF for FTX Global Uers Guide? 

Hello Alex:  Thanks for your help.  I'm in the process of re-installing Global now.   I did not see the FTX Global in FTX Central.  Is there a Global User Guide PDF that you can send me please?  I can't find one anywhere on line or in the forums. 

To your point, how do I make sure that I have the latest libraries installed? 

Thanks again for your help!

Alex, I just finished the re-install.  When I open up Central, there are two icons.  One is Default and the other is North America which is checked.  Why is Global not showing up?  (I'm running ORBX's PNW & Northern CA).  Something is not right.  

Hello Alex:  When you say Libraries, do you mean patches?  I'm updating patches now but I'm not sure wha tyou mean when you say libraries.  Could you define please? 

Thanks for your help.  I'm anxious to get this fixed. 

I see a patch for Global but it says NOT to download it unless you have Global checked in Central.  Since Global doesn't show up at all should I still download the patch? 

Not to bud in on Alex's turf,

Rob.....The libraries Alex is mentioning are not patches.  Go here http://www.fullterrain.com/support.html, then scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see "Obx Libraries 140601" for each, FSX/P3Dv1.x and P3Dv2.x.  Download and install the libraries for your sim.

Hopefully this helps.

Safe Flyin'

Rod

Hi Rob

Go to top left of the main Orbx page and click the Orbx logo. This will take you to the page required.

Now look for the support button just down from the top of the page and scroll down to either third or fourth from the bottom where you will find the Libraries button.

Make sure you load the appropriate one depending on whether you use P3D or FSX.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Ian

Thanks for all the help on this guys.  Greatly appreciated. 

Okay, so I found and downloaded the ORBX library file 140601 for FSX.  Then I re-booted my PC.  But, when I open FSX Central, I still don't see the FSX Global icon.  Just "Default" & North America".  I've installed Global twice so far but still can't get the Global logo to appear.  What's wrong and how do I fix it? 

Thanks again for all the help! 

Hi Rob

Here is something to read.http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

This tells you all you need to know about Orbx products and how they work.

To get the FTX Global PDF file, go to your Microsoft Flight Simulator X file on your computer and open it. Then click on ORBX entry and then User Documents. You will find the FTX Global User Guide there.
I do hope all the above helps

Kind regards

Ian

Hello again Rob

Just another thought.

To check if Global has been installed, go to FTX Central and open it. 

Now click Tools, Reports and FTX Products Installed. You should see an entry like this 'FTX GLOBAL BASE PACK - Version 1.20 December 2013' along with an entry for Libraries and Pacific Northwest.

These entries are a sure indication that they have installed correctly

Kind regards

Ian

Good Morning:  Ian & Alex, thank you so much for your help.  Ian, I did find the report section in FTX Central last night and it confirms that Global did not install properly.  There's no sign of it in reports nor does the icon appear in FTX Central as it should. 

Alex, I did succesfully install ORBX Libraries 140601 for FSX last night but that didn't change anything either. 

Here's the bottom line, I've tried twice to install Global directly from the disks (FlightSim Order # FSS0293066) twice now and in both instances, it appears to have installed properly, but never appears in Central.

At one point, I did see a check box in Central that references "Vector Read Lights" but after the second installation, that's gone away.

Would installing the two patches for Global help?

Is there anything else that I can do or try to get Global to work? 

I really appreciate everyone's help and anxious to get this fixed! 

Hi again Rob

Noticed you mentioned installing from Disk. FTX Global is a download and if you get this program on disk to save you downloading, I think you still have to extract to a file before running the installation program.

When you thought you loaded it at first, did you have to insert your order number and registration key. If not then your problem lies with your method of installation.

Kind regards

Ian

Hello Ian.  Yes, Global came on two disks (I like having the physical disks on file).  About half way through the installation process (I simply followed the prompts) I was prompted to enter my Order Number & a Registration Key that I was given by FlightSim.  Both were accepted and the installation continued to progress.  In fact, the installation finishes completely.  The only visible issue is that Global never appears in FTX Central or the in the Reports as you mentioned. 

Also, I did make sure that User Account Controls are set to off on my PC based on the link you sent to me earlier. 

Do have any ideas as to what I should do next?  I'm really at a total loss at this point.

Hi Robert,

Still some things we can do to see what's up. First, are you installing into your FSX folder? No symbolic links or junctions? Also where is your FSX install located? If it is inside of Program Files (x86) it's possible the installer could be running into a permissions issue.

It's very strange that it would complete with no error messages noted and then not be installed. Does the popup asking for you to back up your default FSX textures appear? Something else to check is if you have a folder located in "Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX" called FTX_OLC. That should be created during the installation process and is telling if anything is getting installed.

Hello Alex:  Glad to have your help.  I'm jsut following the standard prompts of the installation process from the two disks.  Yes, there was an option to back up files during the installation process which I also did.

I'm not super technical but tell me exactly what you need to know regarding my set up and I'll answer the best I can.  Note that the other two ORBX products (PNW & N CA) installed on the same PC without any issues whatsoever. 

Alex: I do not see the FTX_OLC file in the same folder where my FSX.CFG is located.  Is that the right folder I should be looking in?  If not, can you give me the exact path I should follow to get to the right folder please?  I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place. 

I also search for "FTX_OLC" from my Start Menu and it doesn't show up at all. 

Please tell me specifically what to do and where to look and I'll see what I can find. 

Alex, I tried re-installing Global for the 3rd time.  Well into the second CD, I cancelled the backup it suggested and after starting the "Ready to Install" process it gave the following path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X \

Shortcut Folder:  Orbx

Is this the correct path?  If not, what is the correct path and how do I change it? 

This is very frustrating and I've spent hours, not to mention $100 USD, trying to get Global to install.  I'm using the (2) disks I purchased from FlightSim thinking this would be an easier process.  I'm simply following the prompts as they are given to me.   

After each installation, FTX Central shows no signs (icon or in the reports) of Global being installed. 

Please help me get this fixed.  This is really getting frustrating. 

Hello Ian...thanks for your response.  I know the path to where my FSX.CFG file is located.  It's as follows: 

C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX

But is that what your looking for?  If not, can you guide me as to how to give you the right info / path you're looking for please sir? 

Hi Rob

It is your main Microsoft Flight Simulator folder that i was asking about.

When Orbx loads, it produces it's folder containing all it's files in your main FSX folder called ORBX. Alex asked you if you had a file called Ftx_OLC and you should find this file in the main Orbx folder.

Do you have these folders

Hi Rob,

The easiest way to find out where FSX is installed is by right clicking on the desktop shortcut (if you've still got it), and going "Open File Location". This will open up the folder that contains fsx.exe.

In the folder that contains fsx.exe, you should see folders like SimObjects, Effects, Gauges AND a folder called "ORBX". You should find the "FTX_OLC" folder inside the "ORBX" folder.

Also, did you run the installer as an administrator (i.e. by right clicking -> run as administrator)?

Good Morning Guys:  Thanks for hanging in there with me.  I really appreciate it and would love to get this fixed. 

Ben, I assume you mean the FSX icon?  When I do right click on my FSX icon on my main screen, then click on Open File Location I'm in a Games.  I see the FSX logo but when I click on that icon it simply starts FSX. 

When you say "did you run installer as an administrator, I purchased Global on diskettes from FlightSim.  It comes on two disks I simply followed the prompts starting with Disk One. 

One thing that seems very strange is that in my main folder Computer / Local Disk C:, I see hundreds of these .AGN .BMP icons that we're there before I installed Global.  When I click on one of them, it says Windows can't open this picture because the file appears to be damaged or corrupted.  I've deleted all of them.  Does give you guys any indication as to what's wrong?

Please let me know what i need to do to get this resolved. 

Hi Rob,

OK, so here's another alternative method:

If you have the FTX Central icon on your desktop, can you right click on that -> properties. Then, it should have a box labelled "target:", can you please paste all of the "target" in here?

Were these files in your root C:\ directory? (i.e are they in the same folder as "Windows", "Users", "Program Files"?)

One more thing guys.  I noticed that in "Computer / Local Disk C / Users / Rob" The folder called "Rob" had a padlock icon next to it.  After deleting all of the .AGN & .BMP icons (there were a thousand plus) the lock icon went away.  

Sounds like we're starting to get to close the issue here.

Thanks again for your patience and hanging in there with me.  Greatly appreciated. 

Hello Ben:  Thanks for your help as well. 

Here's the string I get from the "target" box in FSX Central as per your instructions:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\FTXCentral.exe"

All of those .BMP & .AGN icons were located in "Computer / Local Disk C/ Users / Rob" 

The .bmp and .agn files being incorrectly placed might be the reason for the issue you're having. Ed (or Alex) might be better suited to reply on what's happening here.

However, we can still run a check to see that you do in fact have the FTX_OLC folders.

The following commands will list all of the folders inside your Orbx folder.

First, you need to start up command prompt, you can do this by pressing Windows + R then typing cmd followed by enter.

Alternatively, you can go Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.

Then, type (or copy and paste) in the following:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX"

This command will change the directory of the command prompt to the Orbx directory.

Then:

tree > files.txt

This command will list all the folders inside your Orbx directory and save the results to files.txt. It is normal to see nothing inside command prompt as a result of this command.

Finally:

notepad files.txt

This will open up notepad with the file you just created. Can you paste the contents of the file in here?

I've attached an example of what it looks like on my computer.

post-18382-0-76972400-1404311814_thumb.p

Correct, the commands you should be entering in order are:

1. cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX"

2. tree > files.txt

3. notepad files.txt

And then either paste or attach the zipped up text file here so we can comb through it. 

Here you go guys.....does this give you what you're looking for? 

Folder PATH listing
Volume serial number is 6E06-6D96
C:.
ÃÄÄÄFTX_AU
³   ÀÄÄÄFTXAA_ORBXLIBS
³       ÃÄÄÄScenery
³       ÀÄÄÄTexture
³           ÃÄÄÄ365f MAS
³           ÃÄÄÄ365f Vicpolpvd
³           ÀÄÄÄ365f Vicpolpvg
ÃÄÄÄFTX_NA
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_AA_3W5
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄTexture
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_AA_KORS
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄScenery
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄTexture
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_AA_S43
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄScenery
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_NA_NCA05_SCENERY
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄscenery
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄtexture
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_NA_NCA06_CVX
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄscenery
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄtexture
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_NA_NCA07_MESH
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄscenery
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_NA_NCA08_CUSTOM
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄscenery
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄtexture
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄscenery
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄtexture
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_NA_PNW06_CVX
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄscenery
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄtexture
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX_NA_PNW07_MESH
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄscenery
³   ÀÄÄÄFTX_NA_PNW08_CUSTOM
³       ÃÄÄÄscenery
³       ÀÄÄÄtexture
ÃÄÄÄScripts
³   ÃÄÄÄAero
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄBackup
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄFSX_SP2_Originals
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄSource
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄDefault
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄScenery.World.Texture.detail1.bmp.Coarse
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄScenery.World.Texture.detail1.bmp.Cracked
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄScenery.World.Texture.detail1.bmp.Fine
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄScenery.World.Texture.detail1.bmp.Soft
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄTexture.runway18.dds.1024
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄTexture.runway18.dds.2048
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄTexture.taxiway_marks.dds.Yellow1
³   ³       ÀÄÄÄTexture.taxiway_marks.dds.YellowBlack
³   ÃÄÄÄBackup
³   ÃÄÄÄCustom.au
³   ÃÄÄÄCustom.eu
³   ÃÄÄÄcustom.gb_base
³   ÃÄÄÄcustom.gb_hybrid
³   ÃÄÄÄCustom.na
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄOFF
³   ÃÄÄÄFTX Global
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄBackup
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄCustom.au
³   ³       ÃÄÄÄCustom.eu
³   ³       ÀÄÄÄCustom.na
³   ÃÄÄÄFTXCentral
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄInstallBackup
³   ³   ÃÄÄÄRegions
³   ³   ÀÄÄÄWork
³   ³       ÀÄÄÄImages
³   ÀÄÄÄLights
³       ÃÄÄÄ04
³       ÃÄÄÄ05
³       ÃÄÄÄ06
³       ÃÄÄÄ07
³       ÃÄÄÄ08
³       ÃÄÄÄ09
³       ÃÄÄÄ10
³       ÃÄÄÄ11
³       ÃÄÄÄ12
³       ÃÄÄÄHalo.1
³       ÃÄÄÄHalo.2
³       ÃÄÄÄHalo.3
³       ÃÄÄÄHalo.4
³       ÃÄÄÄHalo.5
³       ÃÄÄÄHalo.6
³       ÃÄÄÄOFF
³       ÀÄÄÄON
ÀÄÄÄUser Documents
    ÀÄÄÄVersions

I've got the file that I can send to you but I'm not sure how to copy / paste or attach it using this forum tool  Like a paper clip icon to attach files with? 

You guys are awesome and I really appreciate ALL of your help! 

Yes, thanks for posting the folder structure. You are indeed missing the FTX_OLC folders which tells us that the installer is not completing, or completing into the correct directory. 

Now... a few things to try. First, let's see if the registry entry for FSX is correct. Download the registry fixer, run it, locate your FSX.exe which should be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\" and update the registry entry.

Next, when installing right click on the executable and select "Run as administrator". If those don't work... I'll have to find some more tricks to try

We're on a roll now Alex.  I found the registry fixer on your website and will download it now. 

Two quick questions:

What do yo mean by "update the registry entry"?

When you say "installing", installing what?  ('m familiar with run as adim) 

Just want to make sure I'm doing exactly what you want me to do. 

Success!  I was able to update the registry as per your instructions. 

Only question left is the last part of your last post:  When installing what?  Do you mean FTX Global?  Remember that I'm using the 2 disk set for Global and just follow the prompts.  How do I tell it I want to run it as an Admin? 

Sounds like we're getting close my friend! 

Ian, it's been a pleasure my friend.  Greatly appreciate you jumping in. 

Ben & Alex have been awesome and it sounds like I'm getting close to getting this resolved thanks to everyone's help. 

Ben, thanks for the clarification and I'll do that now and let you guys know right away. 

Ben, after I hit open, there are 13 files listed on Disk one but nothing says "Run as Admin". 

Never mind, I just found it.  Installing now.

No go guys.  I did a fresh re-install, as administrator, from the disks.  The install seemed to go fine but this time it didn't require me to enter in my order number or date which seemed odd.

I did allow the install to create a back up directory as it suggested.

After the install, I re-booted and opened Central (as Admin) and there's no Global icon.  Also, when I checked Reports, it only lists

Libraries 140601

North CA

PNW

Could I possibly have a bad set of installation disks from FlightSim? 

Sorry for the bad news.  I really thought we had this fixed.  Please tell me what to do next!

By the way, it once again dropped all of these .BMG and .AGN icons in the following folder:

Computer / Local Disk C

That obviously doesn't seem to be right or normal. 

Archived