Vans hard starting

texerrn

I could use some tips on starting this thing. Tried giving the primer three pulls, have fuel on board, ignition is on, but have never once got it to catch. Will run, If I try a default like the 172 then change planes, sometimes. So I have flown it. And it will start after a landing but never on a first try. This is in both FTX and P3dv2.

Go into the maintenance control panel and just make sure everything is green. I found once I didn't have oil, or something. Cant remember as it was a few months ago on version 1. If in doubt, perform and overhaul and oil change / top up ; it doesn't cost anything! ;)

It's also importaint to make sure the "Loggerx" module installed properly. To check follow these instructions.

1: Open the following folder:

FSX: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

or

P3d: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

2: Check for the presence of the filename: dlleditRun.txt

3:  If it is not present the executable wasn't called correctly from the installer. This is a known issue from v1.0 that has to do with permissions settings. You will need to run it manually by double clicking the file: AddLoggerDllXml.bat It's important that you run the AddLoggerDllXml.bat not the AddLoggerDllXml.exe

Thanks Jared for the reply. I followed your instructions. The file was there. I ran the bat again. I was so hoping you are on to something. Still will not start. Needless to say I am becoming very frustrated. It feels very much like a fuel starvation iissue. Even when I start with another running aircraft and switch to the Van, the engine runs for a few seconds and than seems to run out of gas. On rare occasion I have stated the flight new with engine running, then give it full throttle and it would stay running. I am unable to always duplicate this. Thanks

• 5 months later...

I'm having the exact same issue...exactly as texerm described. I did the 3-4 primes, and then tried the auto priming pump as well....no dice. dlleditRun.txt is there ...it only contains a single "0". Everything is green in the maintenance screen. All option buttons in the maintenance screen are disabled. This plane just won't start for me.

No I ever never been able to get it to start. Not since the day I purchased it. Does not seem to to anything when you ask for an overhaul either. I just gave up on this thing ages ago. Wrote to FSS but got no reply. I have been able sometimes load another aircraft, which starts right up then switch aircraft and fly around some. After you land and switch off it would never start again. Of the several hundreds of third party planes I have this is one that just has not worked out well. As far as I am concerned it was never resolved by support or by FSS.

Well, I got it to start. In my situation it seems scenery related. My home airport is KDEN, and I use Flightbeam's KDEN over top of FTX Global and Vector. I can't start the RV-4 there. With the plane loaded, if I move it from KDEN to another airport, it starts like a champ.

Now to figure out why that is......

gtrbarbarian,

that's likely to be altitude related rather than scenery related. If memory serves me right, KDEN sits at something like around 5'500 feet high, so without leaning your mixture seriously, I doubt you'll get it to start there.

Cheers

Jack

no dice. I tried all manner of mixture from 0 - full, with auto-mixture off, then on. This won't start at kden for me. I also tried disabling flightbeam kden, as well as disabling fsuipc just in case it was influening mixture. Even at the default kden, it won't start. Hopefully ORBX will take a look at this issue...because every other aircraft I own, well over 100, starts at my home airport, with no problems.

I was hoping you might find the problem. I know I have wasted a lot of time on this. Maintenance interface error maybe. As I have never been able to do an overhaul either. I also tried all manner of mixtures and combinations to no avail.  For me it will not start anywhere on the planet

It's not a defect, it's a feature! Personally, I have 20 years in software development starting in cobol, then C, C++, java, .net and all of the web skills. I try to be proactive when a user encounters a defect to help them help me identify the issue so they can get back to the work at hand. I'm _hoping_ that ORBX doesn't continue to..ummm.... not respond to this thread, and instead works with us to help identify the issue. 

Archived