Zip files wont open.

I just recently had to do a re install. When trying to download patches from the main server. I get a file error when I try to open it.  Now if I go over to Flight sim store and download airports or regions, if I use your default download server it gives the same error but if I use the cloud server there is no issues. A fellow simmer is having the same issue and I think it has been reported here recently. How can I get the patches. All other zip file open just not the ORBX ones. I have never had any issues before.   Josh

I use win rar. Everything opens fine it is just some things on the suport updates  page that dont work. Any other zips file from anyone else opens fine. Some work some dont as I downloaded sp for AU and it opens but the Tasmania Demo wont open. Now if I download from the FSS and use the cloud servers everything is fine but if I download from the Orbx servers or FSS they dont. I have most of the updates on my backyp drive so its no big deal. I know others are having this issue too and am just looking for a amswer or work around.  Josh

I haven't used Win RAR for a long time so I don't know just what it will and won't do.

When the download is supposed to be complete, the file should show a Win RAR or WinZip icon or whatever. If the icon looks like a text page then something went wrong during the download process and won't extract.

I have heard that 7-zip is a good freeware program that a lot of people use. Personally, I have used WinZip for a long time. I have been an avid FTX Orbx fan for a long time and only had a minor problem when I downloaded Southern Alaska. I just switched the mode in WinZip and it extracted just fine.

Another suggestion if you aren't already using one is to get a download manager program like Internet Download Manager (or IDM). Sometimes a file gets interupted or corrupted during the download. With a download manager program, you can resume the download at any time and the program picks up where it left off.

Problems with the ORBX server have been noted on these forums recently. ORBX recommends using a download manager to ensure you get the complete file. Sometimes the file is being truncated and is therefore corrupt and will not uncompress. Use the optional servers if you are having a problem with the main.

Bob

Sent from my tablet thingy!

I have been using Orbx products for almost 5 years and have bought most all of everything  about 40 titles and have never had any issues downloading anything so I don't need to purchase  a download manager. It is just some of the updates that have been the issues  and they can only be gotten from the main server.  Anyone from FSS or Orbx want to chime in here. ?

I have been using Orbx products for almost 5 years and have bought most all of everything  about 40 titles and have never had any issues downloading anything so I don't need to purchase  a download manager. It is just some of the updates that have been the issues  and they can only be gotten from the main server.  Anyone from FSS or Orbx want to chime in here. ?

This is entirely your call, but observation has been that downloads seem to break when not using a download manager.

I suspect the issue reported here, and by some other users is a corrupt download.  It is difficult to troubleshoot why these problems are occurring, as they can't be reproduced on this end with any ease.  There is nothing wrong with the files on any of the servers; they have been checked.

Advice is to use a download manager, which not only makes the download process more robust, but also enables faster multi-stream downloads to improve your download speed.

Echoing what Ian said, there are many download managers out there.  the most widely recommended is "getright" but there are many free options out there as well.  The files are so large that even a slight interruption on the servers at either end could mean you have a corrupt file and if you are in a country that has download limits, that is where you could get into some serious issues with losing your alloted download limit, hence using a download manager is the way to go as it will verify that it has all the parts of the download to make sure it is correct before completing.

Archived