What would happen if I moved FSX out of Program Files (86)

NeilG

Dear all

Now, my gut feeling is that this is a mad question, but I would appreciate advice from those out there who are more technically aware than I am - i.e. everyone. I realise that installing FSX outside of Program Files (x86) folders is better than installing it in it, because this prevents slow downs that result from anti virus scanning. However, during my last re-install I didn't make sure that this was the case and of course FSX automatically installed in Program files. By the time I realised this I was well under way with add-ons' as well and really didn't feel like uninstalling and starting again. By now I have all my FTX stuff re installed and that took hours. But It has occurred to me that though it seems that to cut FSX out of program files, and then paste it outside program files, might create havoc, I didn't entirely know why or whether the difficulties that it did incur could not be relatively easily addressed. Would be grateful for advice again guys.

Thanks

Neil

Do you also have yhour add-ons in the FSX folder Addons? If so you have some problems ahead of you as the scenery.cfg will point FSX to the "old" location. 

You can and should move FSX out of the Program Files (86) folder and IF possible to another HD. BUT you have to edit in the registry so it tells other programs (installers) the new location of FSX.

My suggestion is to do everything all over again and install FSX in a rootdirectory. I Have mine on the D-drive in a folder callled FSAX, simply.

Related question on the subject for ORBX development. 

Will the Reistry Fix Tool, available on the support page, "fix" the registry entry if you simply move the FSX files to another location, as NielG wants to do, and run the tool afterwards?

If so it would be a big time saver.

Greetings,

Assuming the Registry Fix Tool works anything thing like manually editing the Windows Registry, then in theory it would work. It would just be doing an automated search and replace to change the appropriate registry keys from c:\Program Files (86)\ Microsoft FSX to (for example) d:\Microsoft FSX.

I would imagine it is easier than migrating from FSX to Prepar3D via registry editing. I've had plenty of practice with Regedit disinfecting PCs and laptops for the local Library patrons.

Respectfully,

Brian

thanks for the replies all

JJ, yes I have other aircraft add on's and Antarctica from aerosoft. But I think your right that the best way would be to reinstall all over again, it is just that the prospect of the time it would take doing that ....well, you know what I mean. I've just done a reinstall and its taken me days. I love my flight simulation but I spent far more time tinkering than flying.

Neil

NeilG!

I fully understand what you mean. I usually reinstall once a year. It´s a nightmare but everytime, when I`m finished I´m glad I did.

As for other add-ons than ORBX, you don´t have to reinstall them!!!! Just go to the FS scenenry-library after you have started your FS and type in the NEW location for every scenery. That should save you a lot of time.  ::)

JJ,

question, I usually install my addon scenery (third party) in the FSX\Addon Scenery folder inside its own folder.

Example:

FSX\Addon Scenery\3RD PARTY TITLE\scenery

Wouldn't this allow the scenery to show up after I used the Fixer Tool to rewrite the registry for FSX?

I realize that if you put your scenery elsewhere then a re-install or at least modifying the Scenery Library location per your post would have to be done.

My suggestion is to do everything all over again and install FSX in a rootdirectory. I Have mine on the D-drive in a folder callled FSAX, simply.

That's absolutely not necessary.

Example ONLY:

1. Move content of    C:\Program Files (x86)\FSX    to   D:\FSX

2. Remove directory C:\Program Files (x86)\FSX

3. Start command prompt with admin priviliges

4. Type: MKLINK /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\FSX" "D:\FSX"

Done, life can be that simple.

In a nutshell absolutely nothing, just tell the OS what your doing with the Registry edit tool   You could copy and use hard links as well 

The question remains why was it there in the first place.  

There are VERY few programs or applications then MUST be installed either on "C:\" Drive or in the Program Files Folder's  I don't have a  Program Files (x86) folder and seriously doubt I ever will either but that is another story. 

In a nutshell absolutely nothing, just tell the OS what your doing with the Registry edit tool   You could copy and use hard links as well

Don't spread false information or make suggestions that can truly mess up his installation.

^^ If you believe that then go right ahead, My statement above is true and correct.  Windows doesn't give two knobs of goat poop where programing is installed as long as it knows about it . 

Greetings,

Maurice, I believe Johanson is cautioning about using Regedit unless you know what you are doing, ;) rather than the lack of need for the C:\Program Files\ directory. As you well know, tis rather easy to really screwup the PC if one fouls up the Regedit. And unfortunately, those are the same individuals that tend to NOT backup as they should...

On a similar note, if the FS world knows the \Programs Files\ is bad juju, then why do so many addons want to put their software there by default?

Respectfully,

Brian

Archived