Flush Scenery indexes

FireRx

Hey Fellow Orbx owners, 

Every so often I'll get floating houses in the Orbx Scenery.  What I would do is to shut down FSX, go into central , Flush the scenery index and allow it to re build again then next time I ran FSX.  Now Mind you I've only done this twice since owning Orbx FTX. My Question is, will this do any harm to my installed scenery?is there a better method to deal with the floating houses?Thanks in advance. 8)

Hi there,

there's absolutely no need to flush the scenery indexes. In fact, in most cases you can return the floating buildings back to the ground during your flight. Either select World > Scenery Library and then simply click on "OK" or assign a key combination to the "Refresh scenery" event in the Options > Settings > Controls menu (Buttons/Keys tab); I use Ctrl-Shift-S but any unassigned combo will work.

Cheers, Holger

the continuing "Hot" item with fsX is to get the max out of your system as fsX is a CPU hungry beast, so the less stuff is running in the background the less resources will be used, ergo they will be available for running fsX also keep in mind that fsX has a maximum on addressed memory = VAS 4096

I always recommend to pay a lil visit to => http://www.blackviper.com

via this you can switch off all the not really needed paraphernalia that runs in the background and eats up resources we so much crave for with fsX,

as example I have a grand total of 36 running processes on my by now outdated contraption here, just hit CTRL+Alt+Del and see how many you have running, you'd be surprised ;)

Hi there,

actually, this particular issue doesn't seem to be tied to resource exhaustion rather the likely cause has to do with how FSX loads terrain mesh in the mid to far distance. For some reason, and usually in specific locations, the sim places a group of houses above the surface instead of onto it.

If you slew quickly across a mountainous landscape you can see how the autogen in the distance gets loaded in blocks and then, occasionally, one block sits higher than it should be. The thing is that in the distance FSX always loads a much lower level of terrain resolution data (=LOD) and some of those lower LODs may have spurious values due to interpolation errors from the high-resolution source. Also, I've noticed that the likelihood of these issues seems higher with terrain-mesh add-ons installed (including our regions), which points to perhaps occasional confusion between loading different file sets for the same location.

Cheers, Holger 

Hi there,

there's absolutely no need to flush the scenery indexes. In fact, in most cases you can return the floating buildings back to the ground during your flight. Either select World > Scenery Library and then simply click on "OK" or assign a key combination to the "Refresh scenery" event in the Options > Settings > Controls menu (Buttons/Keys tab); I use Ctrl-Shift-S but any unassigned combo will work.

Cheers, Holger

Yep! I just had to do this yesterday flying NCA in relatively sparce autogen areas in the north of the territory at one AP. Works every time I need to do it. I pause the sim and go the Scenery Library and hit OK. I took some before / after screenies to confirm what was going on. Also checked VAS useage in Process Explorer and it was only around 2,600,000 so I wasn't pushing the envelope. I've been able to get to 3,600,000+ in the past before FSX flatlines.

My first guess is always that it's a mesh issue, but it never is.

Holger suggesting a scenery loading issue seems spot on from my experience.

I've had few issues in the past doing a scenery reload except with a few planes with very complex and highly detailed systems that don't like being (re)loaded on top of themselves. The result could be a lockup or CTD. But one generally can't fly those planes low and slow into tight valleys with 2,000 foot runways to land on  anyway :wacko:

By the way, NCA is a treat, don't miss Yosemite Valley. Every time I think Orbx can't make the next region they release more awesomer, I'm wrong.

Archived