VOR-stations

Medtner

Hi,

I am wondering if I'm the only one who isn't finding the VOR-stations when I fly over them? I haven't seen them in any of the FTX-regions I own... I can navigate via radio-towers and many other landmarks on my VOR-charts, but the VOR-stations themselves seems to not be there...

But a VOR-station is just a landmark - a simple building. All the antennas, dams, POIs, and so forth seems to be included. Why would the rare, but very specific VOR-stations be more consuming? They are relatively far in between, but they add to the immersion, and if they are not there they actually take something away - when doing VFR flying they can be useful landmarks to search for.

• 1 month later...

I don't get this.

Isn't this an update of the data and the courses of the navaids?

I'm looking specifically for the visual building in the landscape - it's not very immersive to fly VFR towards a VOR station and not actually seeing it in the scenery. The Orbx-regions seem to lack many of them - I have indeed not seen any at all...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Should this work with ORBX scenery as well?  If so would you explain some trusted steps? I am cautiously optimistic and would greatly like to know the process before I get in and do something wrong.  Please advise. 

I would also like to know how this works with all of the FTX custom airports and enhanced airports.  If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rob

I'm sorry, but please have a read at what it says on the web page:

The FSX/P3D World Navaids package will update FSX and Prepar3D navigational aids (VORs, NDBs) in selectable world areas (worldwide coverage). Corrections were performed by decompiling /recompiling stock BGL files. A multi-platform installer is provided and all original files are saved and can be restored. A PDF documentation is included. Be aware of some limitations/problems that may occur for those still using FS integrated flight planning (obsolete) or map view. See chapter 5 of documentation for details.

Notes

1) These updates are for FSX and P3D only

2) In Europe region (see map), all data (VORs, NDBs, ILSs, runway identifiers, approach lighting systems, PAPIs and optionally intersections) are corrected; in other regions, only VORs and NDBs (NVX* BGL files) are updated; consequently, in those regions, a few NDBs (those that are embedded in airport BGL files) will remain untouched resulting in a very few discrepancies

3) All VOR and NDB station declinations are set to their published values (and not to current 2010-2014 magnetic variation)

4) Updates include navaids that are referenced by the latest aeronautical databases and AIPs; consequently, it may occur that a few are missing or differ.

you can restore back to the previous so, it eludes me what the issue is

I'm sorry, but please have a read at what it says on the web page:

The FSX/P3D World Navaids package will update FSX and Prepar3D navigational aids (VORs, NDBs) in selectable world areas (worldwide coverage). Corrections were performed by decompiling /recompiling stock BGL files. A multi-platform installer is provided and all original files are saved and can be restored. A PDF documentation is included. Be aware of some limitations/problems that may occur for those still using FS integrated flight planning (obsolete) or map view. See chapter 5 of documentation for details.

Notes

1) These updates are for FSX and P3D only

2) In Europe region (see map), all data (VORs, NDBs, ILSs, runway identifiers, approach lighting systems, PAPIs and optionally intersections) are corrected; in other regions, only VORs and NDBs (NVX* BGL files) are updated; consequently, in those regions, a few NDBs (those that are embedded in airport BGL files) will remain untouched resulting in a very few discrepancies

3) All VOR and NDB station declinations are set to their published values (and not to current 2010-2014 magnetic variation)

4) Updates include navaids that are referenced by the latest aeronautical databases and AIPs; consequently, it may occur that a few are missing or differ.

you can restore back to the previous so, it eludes me what the issue is

I was just curious as to how it works with FTX regions and airports.  I wasn't sure if you guys change any of this stuff in your regions or airport addons.  If you do, I see no point in installing this as I only fly within FTX regions.

Thanks,

Rob

I must still ask if you have understood what I was initially asking about:

I'm not after updated VOR-information, that is frequencies and such. What I am after is the actual physical building in the terrain. They are not only useful for navigating via the VOR-instruments but also by confirming their presence in the terrain when flying over them. In many of Orbx's full fat regions they are lacking, contrary to many other landmarks. I'm just wondering why? 

Sorry, I didn't mean to give that impression, but rather to highlight my point - which I have made several times; that while modelling every building out there goes outside the scope of any reasonable update, it is weird that important landmarks like VOR-stations are not modelled. Many other things like antennas, dams, and so forth are modelled. 

I'm simply asking why? It doesn't make any sense, since every other detail is so magnificent. :)

Fair enough - I'm getting what I'm getting, and you have your reasons. 

As a customer however, I'm confused as to why other posts regarding "missing" landmarks are being met with enthusiasm and a note that you will look into it (while not promising anything), but when I'm mentioning the VOR-stations, crucial landmarks as they are, I'm getting beaten down and left dangling.

That's not a good experience for a loyal customer, who is just curious.

• 1 month later...

Medtner's interest is the lack of actual visible VOR structures on the ground ( the actual buildings ), the position of which should be in accordance with what the radio nav aid instruments are showing inside the aircraft. I agree with him - it would be very nice to have. Unfortunately, the thread has become confused with people talking about an update to the Navaid database itself. 

Medtner's interest is the lack of actual visible VOR structures on the ground ( the actual buildings ), the position of which should be in accordance with what the radio nav aid instruments are showing inside the aircraft. I agree with him - it would be very nice to have. Unfortunately, the thread has become confused with people talking about an update to the Navaid database itself. 

Thanks for the understanding! It's not as if I'm asking for custom made objects - rather just to have the standard FSX VOR-buildings sitting where they should. I can't think of a simpler way of describing what I mean - and I would fix it myself if I knew how... :-D

I tend to agree with Medtner. If default scenary shows VOR bulidings, it would be nice for 3rd Party Scenary to show the same. VOR placements not only aid game immersion but is useful for VFR navigation.

Regards

Chris.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm interested on the ifr nav-aids update.  I installed this update http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html and all the freqs were correct, but after installing several Orbx products, the Orbx scenarios with the default nav aids info (the wrong one) have priority.  How could I fix it? Even one by one if necessary. Aero sors includes a tool to identify the conflicts with nav aids.

Thanks,

Carles

My details:

- FSX Steam Edition, with REX 4.

- my Orbx receipts Id. 5a00483614a8c   and    5a1de587cf9ec: Base, Vector,  trees, Europe 

LC and Ireland

-My Computer details:

Laptop Toshiba Satellite (2015). 

Graph card AMD Radeon R7 M260, and Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

Processor Itel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz

RAM 8,00 GB; HDD 1TB

Windows 10 Home. Processor and S.O. 64 bits

Archived