FTX Global Lights Configurator query

Adam Banks

I'm a little confused with the progress in the more recent lighting changes in FTX areas and, more specifically, whether FTX Global Lights Configurator will work on (or do harm to) my system.

I'm wondering whether some kind soul could put me out of my misery!

Firstly - my setup:

1) FSX running DX10 + Steve's Fixer.

2) *No FTX Global*

3) A mixture of FTX areas - old and new - including NZNI, NZSI, AU, ENG and various US areas (PNW, PFJ, NCA).

4) I fly mainly in NZ, but venture out occasionally to AU, ENG and the US.

5) Other than the odd bit of FTX compatible freeware (in NZ), I don't run any other sceneries from any other developers.

I understand that NZ still has the old lighting system, whereas AU and many of the US areas (particularly NA California) use the new system.

If I leave well alone, I suspect my lights will work as per normal. In my DX10+Fixer setup, I've had no problems at all.

What would/could happen if I installed and ran the Global Lights Configurator? Would it affect (or stuff up) lighting in:

a] My OLD FTX areas

b] Places in the default FSX world (outside currently installed FTX regions)?

My FSX install is HUGE ... and running really well, so I'd hate to have to start again from scratch if I mess up.

Final point: does the Configurator give me features over and above (or better) than those I already have in the Fixer (where I can tweak halo effects etc. to a certain extent).

Sorry to be so long-winded, but it's a complicated question :lol:!

Adam.

Hi Adam,

the old and new lighting systems are completely independent and have nothing to do with any FSX default light model or textures either meaning you can install and run the Global Lights Configurator without any problems. You may need to re-run the DX10 fixer after running the FTXG Lights Configurator but I'm not sure about that, perhaps someone using the DX10 fixer can confirm.

The FTXG Lights Configurator allows you to change hues, effect size, brightness, and long-range visibility of our new lighting system, it doesn't affect anything else.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks, Holger - that's very helpful indeed 8)^_^:D:) .

I was a bit worried in case it was a bit of an irreversible process - rather like installing/overwriting water animation textures with REX and forgetting to make an original backup.

I'm not sure how these topic "labels" get set, but this one can be flagged as "Closed/sorted" - many thanks!

Adam.

Archived