Way too many trees in US Great Plains (Kansas and CO)

jalbrech

Hi,

I tried searching the forums and other forums on line and can't come up with anything.

I have FSX installed with FTX ORBX + Vector.  I also run with UTX (have all the regions). I also use Scenery Tech Landclass (have the globe).

I notice when flying in western Kansas USA (vicinity say around 37-40N 98-103W) that the US Great Plains are forested. In reality, trees are scarce - only seen in cities.  I tried moving the ORBX LC NA from the top to bottom of the priority...no change.  DIsabled it, no change.  I'm wondering if it is the textures called in that region?  Anyway, anyone else notice this problem? 

Thanks

Jalbrech

Hi Jalbrech

Welcome to the best forum there is! :)

I went and had a look around those coordinates, which seems to be about 10nm west of KPTT and area, and here a couple of shots of what I see. This is with FTX Global 1.2, and FSGlobal2010FTX mesh only.

Ncfdp.png
evljb.png

Is this a more accurate representation of the area then what you are seeing?

Cheers

Hi Doogles,

Thanks for the reply. If you go even a couple degrees farther west (to say Colby KS or just West of Limon CO), I am seeing a very forested area.  It should be treeless or nearly treeless plains. The problem is not with the Scenery Tech Landclass or UTX.  I noticed this only after Vector 1.1 and FTX Global (latest patches installed.  It is almost like the wrong textures are being called.

I'm trying to post a screen shot.

I need to get more info on what type of image I can save.

jalbrech

Hi Doogles,

Thanks for the reply. If you go even a couple degrees farther west (to say Colby KS or just West of Limon CO), I am seeing a very forested area.  It should be treeless or nearly treeless plains. The problem is not with the Scenery Tech Landclass or UTX.  I noticed this only after Vector 1.1 and FTX Global (latest patches installed.  It is almost like the wrong textures are being called.

I'm trying to post a screen shot.

I need to get more info on what type of image I can save.

jalbrech

Here is a good step by step on posting screen shots.   http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/   the BBC code is what we use that works best. Because this is a very visual based hobby, lots of good screen shots are always helpful. :)

I will go and have another look out of curiosity but not sure I could be of any other help...but surely someone else more knowledgeable than me will comment. :)

OK, ya here we are just NE of Colby KCBK and my FS shows a few trees, but Google Earth only show trees lining some of the groups of buildings. I like lots of trees hahaha :) What is the airport designator for Limon?

0KbxR.png

Does your KCBK show more trees than this?

OK, ya here we are just NE of Colby KCBK and my FS shows a few trees, but Google Earth only show trees lining some of the groups of buildings. I like lots of trees hahaha :) What is the airport designator for Limon?

0KbxR.png

Does your KCBK show more trees than this?

It looks about like mine ...  and it is way too many as mentioned earlier (look at google earth or maps). This seems to be related to fs global or vector.  Not realistic at all for the whole region of the central and southern US Plains. 

I'm trying to see how to resolve the issue (if I can) or to see if there is a patch planned to take care of it.

Thanks,

jalbrech

It looks about like mine ...  and it is way too many as mentioned earlier (look at google earth or maps). This seems to be related to fs global or vector.  Not realistic at all for the whole region of the central and southern US Plains. 

I'm trying to see how to resolve the issue (if I can) or to see if there is a patch planned to take care of it.

Thanks,

jalbrech

Limon CO is KLIC.  jalbrech

I noticed when I first installed FTXG  , flying from Fargo ND to Bismark ND,  that it is just the same.   Waay too many trees.  I would imagine that the fault lies with FSX and the way it calls the landclass.  I.e.,  no help until OpenLC comes out

Archived