What to Do?

Guest boeingqa

Guest boeingqa

Guys l have a e8500 and was thinking of either getting new mem, MB and a i7... or building a system just for all my programs to run off and use this computer

e8500, 3 gig mem, 9800gtx + as my fsx system... Is the i7 worth the upgrade?

Thx Paul

I am betting that everyone with an I7 already will say 'YES' (including me) and everyone that says 'NO' does not have an I7 system. ;D

In my experience, FSX (with all FTX addons) runs MUCH better on my I7 940 system versus my older Q9450 system. It's not even a fair comparison really. It looks better, flies smoother, loads faster...all around better. And, I used the same video card in both systems  (nVidia GTX 260). And when I say better, I'm not talking just a few frames....I mean significantly better.;)

I bought an i7 920 as I could do nothing with my old system in the way of upgrade....I do mean nothing. I did not want to put my money into the 775 stuff as the 1366 is what is going to be around for a few years anyway. I went ahead and got the 6 gig of DDR3 1600 RAM so as not to have to buy RAM again in a year from now when I go to WIN 7 and upgrade my CPU. Plus they are supposed to be coming out soon with the dual i7 CPU M/B. If that happens I will get another 920 and have a true 8 core system. Lots of possibilities there. Had I been able to plug in a new CPU I would have done that....but I was stuck with an antique. I tracked and still do track the price of the Q6600 and other CPU's. They are not going to come down in price...imho.....as most people think. The Q6600 has only dropped 5 or 6 bucks in the last few months. I feel they will just sell them until the inventory is gone. Now..if you are going to do this as Uhu_Fledermaus said...we all are on a budget...but I would not get the 920 if I could afford the 940. There is where you will see a huge impact on FSX. You will find articles...and videos all over the NET about clocking a 920 to 4GHz and it being as good as an 965 and how you can save 1000 dollars by doing that. Nothing could be further from the truth. The 920 gets very hot....more so than the other i7 series and the chips are just not the same...period. I have clocked mine at 3.6GHz but on air with a good cooler it is pushing the temps. You are going to have people tell you to push it to 4GHz on air and it will do fine....beware. At 4GHz you will see a great performance increase in FSX but for me it is too risky. The 940 however is far easier to get to 4GHz safely and had I had the money that is the way I would have gone.....plus you will not have to clock the 940 to see FSX close to what we all want it to be. I will also tell you I have tried the WIN 7 BETA and if MS does not mess it up before release it will make an i7 and FSX a whole new ball game. I had to uninstall it as an issue with video drivers. While this has been long winded I wanted you to hear from someone who owns the low end of that chip. But I would still so the same.

Regards

at the end of the day it's what you want to spend on a system, you are the one that knows how far your budget stretches or not.

Budget. phooey!

If you have a credit card, buy what you want and worry about paying for it later.

At my age, I can't afford to worry. Let the bank do the worrying.

No rude remarks please. I know all the anti's.

e8500, 3 gig mem, 9800gtx + as my fsx system... Is the i7 worth the upgrade?

Paul

Word is there's a better and cheaper chip in the offing (as always) and the i7 may not be final solution - so my decision has been to stick with technology similar to what you have now, as mine runs FSX quite acceptably, and to watch the development of the i7 vis a vis subsequent directions the technology may take. In other words keep my cash in my pocket till i7 is proven. Having said that I also see the merit in jgruschow's philosophy (above) which is great if it is the BM having sleepless nights and not you, depending on your temperement  ;)

Archived