Different planes, different ways of flying?

miloguy

Hi guys

you know I love the Cessna Grand Caravan 208b, from Carenado..

any way every one has been raving about the A2A Cessna trainer..

struth, I thought I was a good pilot with the 208, but in this A2A,

I suck!!, Its like a whole new learning curve, from taxiing to take off , to landings

flying I'm ok , but boy, this has really changed my whole approach,

I'm not going back to the caravan or anything else till I can master or at least fly and land this

like a proper pilot..

any one else had a similar experience with going from one plane to another?

Hi, I don't get why the A2A 172 can be that hard to land or take off? I mean if they replicate the flight reality of a Cessna, any Cessna they are the easiest to fly in the real world. Low wing like a piper 160, even considered as a trainer are slightly harder to land (wing closer to the ground - ground effect) but are still very easy. I own quite a lot of FSX plane are only the fast one like the Milviz F-86 Saber give me a little more trouble to land or take off for that mater.  And good thing that they are harder. I mean they where harder to fly in real life. Lately Cera Sim or Aerosoft Huey give me more challenge in the sim. Even the lately aqquared Iris A-10 Warthog driver is one of the most easiest thing to fly in FSX.

Ben

Just like real the sim AC have a learning curve. One thing I have always wished for in sim aircraft was  that a  wild card flight characteristic could be applied so each specific model type with different liveries each livery would fly differently.  

Dreamer

Hi, I don't get why the A2A 172 can be that hard to land or take off? I mean if they replicate the flight reality of a Cessna, any Cessna they are the easiest to fly in the real world. 

Just like real the sim AC have a learning curve. One thing I have always wished for in sim aircraft was  that a  wild card flight characteristic could be applied so each specific model type with different liveries each livery would fly differently.  

Dreamer

Dreamer hit the nail on the head. A2A modelled the 172R beautifully but FSX doesnt simulate a bumpy day of flying. Or the wind gusts on final and as you flare. My flight training school had a couple of 172s models and some flew different than others (ex. one always turned slightly to the left if you let go of the yoke) 

Hi guys

you know I love the Cessna Grand Caravan 208b, from Carenado..

any way every one has been raving about the A2A Cessna trainer..

struth, I thought I was a good pilot with the 208, but in this A2A,

I suck!!, Its like a whole new learning curve, from taxiing to take off , to landings

flying I'm ok , but boy, this has really changed my whole approach,

I'm not going back to the caravan or anything else till I can master or at least fly and land this

like a proper pilot..

any one else had a similar experience with going from one plane to another?

i bought the A2A Cessna trainer during christmas, i was considering just giving it away on my youtube channel.

For some reason I found the c172 more intuitive when taxiing and what not than non a2a planes.

I think its just a matter of understanding the planes flight envelope and its systems, and your good to go. The C172 is slow but has good handling and with the depth of modelling its a dream to sim in. Lately Ive been fiddling with the auto pilot and have really enjoyed learning the true functions and behaviour of the autopilot.

Now that Ive added the trial for a third party weather engine the sim is just awesome. Real turbulence and wind and overall real weather properly simulated makes such a difference. Im using adn for p3dv2 and I like it so far, I wouldnt go back to default p3d no way.

I havent found any add on aircraft that work in p3dv2 as good as a2a planes

I also own the civ and mil P51s from a2a. Now those planes arent as forgiving and gentle as the c172. Ive killed myself a few times in the sim from pilot error whereas the c172 would have forgiven my mistake.

The one thing that strikes me about the A2A 172 is it is very accurate when it comes to flaring out for landing. If you are too fast you just float, and float, and float and that's what a real 172 would do. The stall characteristics are spot on. I have only flown real Cessna's and it's pretty close. If only it came with a motion cockpit...

I guess the question I'm asking is do you stay with a certain plane for a while before 

moving on to a new one? 

Yes and no. Everything always gets its run when it comes out but there are some aircraft for me that never get old and I always come back to.

Realair Legacy and Dukes I tend to fly a hell of a lot when it comes to GA trips, The Dukes are really the only aircraft I'll bother setting up autopilots and flight plans and ILS approaches, no more than maybe 500 miles, any more than that and also the tubeliners just bore me.

All of the A2A warbirds when it comes to flying "by the book" and when I feel like running through checklists, I especially love how it can take anywhere up to half an hour to get the B-17 even anywhere close to the runway holding point.

The Alabeo Extra 300 gets a pummeling when I feel like flying with complete disregard to any rules.

And since my recent investment of a Thrustmaster Warthog and the latest update to the Iris A-10, I never fly that thing more than a couple of hundred feet off the ground and rarely fly straight and level.

Yanking and banking with the weight of the Warthog stick and my head tilted to the side with TrackIR is awesome, I almost find myself making stupid grunting noises as if I'm actually pulling G's ::)

It's just a ridiculous amount of fun.

So yeah, different aircraft for different moods, different ways of implementing skills or just plain old goofing off and having fun, no consequences seems to sit right up in the front of my mind sometimes.

Never practice those habits in the real world though kids!

I do Milo.
I'm new to simming so I bought a bunch of aircraft to get a feel but got stuck on the Alabeo C172rg. I've tried a bunch but just really like the VFR flights and the simple mechanics, especially over PNW.
I bought the 172rg along with the Carenado C208 Crand Caravan EX and the Alabeo Extra 300S (really tough to land), and tried them all for a flight or 2 but I settled into the 172 and have been flying it pretty exclusively.

I'll probably switch to the Caravan soon since thats more my style but I'm the kind of person who likes to master one before I move to the next.
Might have to check out that A2A C172 after reading some of these comments though.

for those with the A2A 172 , I'm having trouble getting her to altitude, 

ie say I have set for 3000 feet but I can only get her up to say 1500 ,

if I try to push it I end up stalling her.. this with flaps at 1 notch at take off

and I do find the auto pilot a little difficult to master at the moment compared to the caravans set up

Don't know much about tubeliners but, as a long time commercial/instrument pilot, I feel FSX only approaches real flying.  Each company seems to have a slightly different take on flight dynamics then uses that take for all their models - fly one, you fly them all.  Without airflow pressures and real life forces of nature, it ain't real but definitely better than nothing.  For instrument procedures, it's good and equally good for other cockpit stuff but, airborne, I'm reminded of old time movies with motion backdrops.  Scenery is becoming the best feature so, for sightseers like me, it's holding its attraction.

if I try to push it I end up stalling her.. this with flaps at 1 notch at take off

and I do find the auto pilot a little difficult to master at the moment compared to the caravans set up

You shouldn't need flaps for takeoff unless you are on a very short runway that needs an STOL flap setting.

With regards the altitude issues, make sure your mixture is full rich and you are climbing at around 65-70 knots which is the optimal speed in a 172.

Forgot to add, remember the A2A 172 needs regular maintenance checks so make sure you don't have any issues before you fly. SHIFT+7 gets you access to the maintenance hanger.

Ideally she needs to flown according to a checklist.

Sim and all - it is a bit ridiculous to compare A2A and Carenado on anything other than looks.

I stick with a new plane for a while if it's worth it, i.e. if it's got something that needs practice to master. For example, while the Lancair Legacy is a very simple plane overall, it needs planning to get an approach right without having to use the air brakes, and get the speeds right on final. Other planes it takes some routine to even get the engine started... :-)

I flew the A2A Cessna for quite a bit, and still do once in a while when the mood takes me - but as I got a majority of my real life flying hours on that type, it's not that much of a challenge.

Just bought the A2A Cessna.
Huge difference from the 172RG, so glad I followed this thread. I was looking for another plane with the attention to detail that the Aerosoft DA-20 had.
Milo, I had no problem getting it to altitude on first flight, it went up much easier than the RG actually.
I'd say try HobNobs advice and do the complete overhaul.

and I do find the auto pilot a little difficult to master at the moment compared to the caravans set up

As simple as a 172 is, if you're getting the RPM's that A2A says you should on takeoff then with gradual mixture leaning, it should climb to around 12000 with a full load.  If departing from a higher field elevation, hold the brakes run it up and lean the mixture for max RPM.

Just bought my first A2 aircraft a P51 Mustang and all I know is throw everything you think you know out the window and be prepared to learn all over again.. What I initially thought was a pain end up being the best sim experience ive had for a long time..so now im a A2 Acusim fan and Cessna pack is my next purchase..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

also got another plane as per my other post ,but cant even get the avionics to work..

so frustrating arggg

also do guy guys have planes that you have bought, thinking that looks good

then dont like it for what ever reason after install and not use it?

also got another plane as per my other post ,but cant even get the avionics to work..

so frustrating arggg

also do guy guys have planes that you have bought, thinking that looks good

then dont like it for what ever reason after install and not use it?

The Grand Caravan EX doesn't work in P3D 2.2 for the moment. Avionics are sketchy for me and and even the control surfaces are erratic which is weird. But i think it has something to do with the coding for their AP module. Wild guess though.

I bought a bunch of planes when I first got FSX but I found i really like the planes with more focus on realism than looks. The Aerosoft Diamond DA-20 Katana and the A2A c172 trainer are my current favorites. I really love the 172.

I'd like to get the Grand Caravan working so i have a small commuter plane but I can wait. Having a lot of fun bush flying in the 172.

I might pick up the A2A Piper Cub next. Really impressed with their sim aircraft.

Yes, Miloguy.  I've a few like that.  The FeelThere Phenom 100 for example where the GPS stops working every few minutes.  The dirt on the windscreen of the Carenado Mooney  drives me potty and a couple of others I don't use simply because I prefer better vision or a little more speed.

John

Archived