Orbx not seeing FSX in registry when installing

I'm impressed with the quick response.

The first option didn't find the file.  The second option produced this but I'm not sure what I should do with it.

Registry Key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\

Registry Value 

SetupPath

FSX Folder Path in Registry

c:\Program Files (x86)Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

Should the two match?

Alan

Hi Alan,

the registry key is correct. The important line is the folder path listed: is that the one where your FSX.exe is located?

Which tool did you use? I find the third link (Softpedia) has the most intuitive user interface as it lets you search for the current value before changing anything.

Cheers, Holger

Using the Softpedia link as recommended, you can generate two reports.

I have underlined the FSX location reported, yours may not be the same,

however both entries must exist and the locations should match each other

and the actual location of your FSX installation.

X2iU7.jpg

mWtNU.jpg

My file is in:

FSX Folder Path in Registry

c:\Program Files (x86)Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

Perhaps a re-install of FSX into it's own folder as yours is shown might be the answer.  I'm sure that I read somewhere else that this is a better way to do it.  After the event of course.  >:(

Thanks for your help.

I have re-installed FSX into it's own directory and things now appear to be working.  Unfortunately before de-installing FSX, which was an epic in itself, I failed to de-install the demo.  In my defense that was because I didn't think I had successfully  installed it in the first place.  When I did run the demo de-install there was an error because the original folder no longer existed.  I suspect that now I have remnants of the Orbx software on my drive. How do I now get rid of these files?

I don't know where the responsibility lies but this is not a user friendly process and I am unimpressed.  Regardless if I can get rid of these files and the scenery lives up to expectations I will purchase.

If the demo did not uninstall correctly, you will have your original FSX folder at c:\Program Files (x86)Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\.

An uninstall of FSX removes only the files that were installed in the first instance and any addon files will remain.

If you check and there is no folder at that location, there are no ORBX files remaining.

Cheers.  The Microsoft Games Folder is empty so that looks OK.

My next problem, sorry to be a pain, is that the Orbx software appears to be doing what it says on the control panel.  It prompts me to click North America and Apply. and says you are now ready to fly.  When I load FSX and select the relevant airport, KHQM, the scenery is not enhanced and the choice does not appear in the "add on scenery" displays as I would have expected.

You're missing a backslash between "Program Files (x86)" and "Microsoft Games" in your registry path so if that's truly what you're seeing under SetupPath I would look for a folder named "C:\Program Files (x86)Microsoft Games" (all one word) and that's probably where you'll find the demo has installed itself (which won't work obviously). Delete that folder as it has no purpose, then fix the path in the registry with the TweakFS tool Holger & Nick mentioned and try installing the demo again. Orbx sceneries will never show up in "airport search > addon scenery" BTW, that's a backwards compatibility holdover in FSX, any FS2002 scasm based sceneries will show up there if you have them installed, anything Orbx is more advanced than that and will show up in your normal "select airport" menu.

Jim

The missing \ was a typo error.  I've now uninstalled FSX and re-installed it into C:\FSX which has solved the registry errors.  I have also de-installed and re-installed the Orbx software.  The splash screens, icons and menus now seem to work.  I select North America and click apply.  It says you are  now ready to fly but when I select KHQM in FSX and start a flight the scenery is still default FSX scenery.

I'm losing the will to live with this and I'm seriously considering getting the other simulator, X-Plane, which apparently has improved high definition scenery as standard.with no frustrating messing around like this.  I'll give it a little longer to find a solution as I already have FSX but I'm losing patience ans the price difference is probably small.  Is all of this because FSX is getting on a bit now?

Problem solved.  Because I de-installed FSX and re-installed it the settings defaulted to the lowest resolution and I didn't think to check that.  Stupid man.  Me that is.  Thanks everyone for all your help.  I'll try it out for  few days and then probably place an order as it is very impressive even on my mediocre laptop and makes flying far more interesting.

Archived