FTX Central and scenery library

andiflyit

Hi all,

every time I activate a region, i.e. NA region, the FTX Central activates every Orbx product

in scenery lib which is installed on the system. At this moment this is around 65 gb size. 

In my experience it can be a disadvantage if a very big amount of scenery files is activated,

because this can cause issues loading files. The cpu always struggles searching those files it needs.

I've watched this with photoscenery when activating more than 30 gb simultaniously and it causes blurries.

So why does the FTX Central activate all AU and NZ files while I only want to fly at NA? I assume if I had 

installed the whole Orbx England it would activate this as well.    

Cheers 

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

if we didn't activate all regions then people wouldn't be able to fly between them. In any case, FSX will not load files that are far outside the location of the user airplane. Instead the FSX terrain "engine" uses a pretty clever nested-grid system along with standardized file headers. If you run ProcessMonitor logs alongside FSX (with a filter to only include FSX.exe related file ops) it's easy to see which scenery files FSX touches during a flight situation; sometimes you'll notice a file from the other side of the globe in the list but usually it's only a quick file header access rather than the file itself.

In short you can rest assured that FSX will not attempt to load simultaneously the 65GB of Orbx files in your library.

Cheers, Holger  

Hi Holger,

what I expierenced using photoscenery is that the cpu is wasting time and resources while searching for the appropriate files

in the scenery files indexes. If I activate 50 gb photoscenery I'll have some blurries, if I only activate 20 gb  I'll never have this.

So it takes too much time for the cpu to find the files to load. It's not that FSX is loading all activated files,

but the cpu is always searching for the files to load in this large scenery lib. This problem is known by most users of photoscenery,

so I wonder if this happens using Orbx scenery files as well or not.

I will do some more testing while deactivating and activating some folders manually.

Cheers, Andreas 

Archived