[NCA] elevation files not turning off

DonK

Hi,

A friend of mine (Sam) from "alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim" has been asking this question but hasn't been able to find an answer. Sam is an 88 year old Marine veteran who has extremely poor vision yet still flys his FSX J-3 every day. He finds that navigating these web forums is too difficult so I'm posting his question for him. Any help will be appreciated.

Please reply here, and, if possible, to the "alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim" usenet group.

Here's Sam's question:

Orbx has obviously made some drastic changes here lately.  Previously,
when FTX Central was set to Default all of the elevation correction .bgl
files were set to off in Scenery/World/Scenery. After installing NCA all of
them were still turned off with the exception of the newly added NCA files.
After installing the latest ORBX Libraries, now none of them are turned off.
This means that any airport with elevation correction .bgl files will
display gross elevation errors when viewed in FSX Default. I discovered this
when I tried to view an airport in Default to compare it with the ORBX
version. I don't know what ORBX  has done here but I sure don't like it.
:-((
Sam

Thank you,

Don

Hi Don,

For all payware support an order number must be included as per this thread: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/1157-important-notice-please-add-your-order-to-your-sig-for-support/

Thanks Tim. My desktop computer with almost all my flightsim "stuff" died about a year ago. I'm currently using a laptop with only FSX and PNW installed. I don't think I have any way to access order numbers at this point.

If I give my personal info (credit card number, registration no., etc) can ORBX supply me with one or more of my order numbers? Alternatively, is there a way for Sam to contact ORBX directly by email so he can ask his question? I don't remember but I believe he said that he tried that and didn't receive any help. I really don't know, I'm just trying to help Sam a little. Sam is a very big PRBX fan, I believe he owns most if not all the ORBX areas.

Thank you for any help.

Don

Thanks Tim. My desktop computer with almost all my flightsim "stuff" died about a year ago. I'm currently using a laptop with only FSX and PNW installed. I don't think I have any way to access order numbers at this point.

If I give my personal info (credit card number, registration no., etc) can ORBX supply me with one or more of my order numbers? Alternatively, is there a way for Sam to contact ORBX directly by email so he can ask his question? I don't remember but I believe he said that he tried that and didn't receive any help. I really don't know, I'm just trying to help Sam a little. Sam is a very big PRBX fan, I believe he owns most if not all the ORBX areas.

Thank you for any help.

Don

If you purchased download versions of ORBX software simply go to the site you purchased from and access your account. All the order numbers will be available to you.

Ahh OK then, in future all you need to do is create a new topic here in the support forum Sam, keeps it clean and confusion-free

Regarding the elevation files not switching off - do you have 'Hybrid' ticked in FTXcentral, if so this is the correct behavior as it allows you to have all your regions active -with- FTXglobal for the rest of the world

Untick 'Hybrid' and your elevation files will switch off when in [Default/Global] mode

Thanks Tim,

I don't have Global on my computer. Just the NA areas only.  This situation began when I installed NCA. Before that the .bgl files were turning off when FTX Central was set to default. Since installing NCA and the latest Libraries they remain on.  That is  the cause of my concern.

I didn't create a new topic on this because I haven't yet figured how to do so.  AS  Don stated, I am legally blind,20/200, and I have great difficulty in navigating web forums. 

Thanks,

Sam

At first it was only the NCA files remaining on. After I installed the latest Libraries then they all remain on in Default. This is the first post I have ever made to this forum because this is the first issue I have had with ORBX that I couldn't solve for myself. I'm afraid that I will need some help on this one.

Thanks

Sam 

Hi Sam,

this can happen if you install an older North American FTX region or service pack after NCA because it will include an older version of the control file that lets FTX Central know what airports to switch on/off. Re-installing NCA would fix that but that's a pretty big installer. I see that you also have SAK and PNW and their latest service packs also contain the correct control file. Thus, installing either PNW SP8 or SAK SP2 should do the trick.

Cheers, Holger

Ok, Holger, I have installed both of those updates and reinstalled NCA. These were all done with FTX Central set to North America. Now the only files turned off when changed to Default are two VicPlus and one VanPlus files in PNW. All the rest of them remain on. Next move?

Sam

Hi Sam,

hmm, it seems we've fixed one issue but you may now have the problem first noted here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/67218-pnw-blue-corrupt-scenery/?p=640844

I'm still not sure why this happens for some people without FTX Global in the first place but it's on our to-do list for the next round of FTX Central edits, which will start soon.

Just to double-check: after installing NCA did you also re-install the current libraries? It shouldn't be necessary in this case but who knows...

Cheers, Holger

Yes, I downloaded and installed the latest Libraries after installing the updated PNW  and Sak patches and reinstalling NCA. All of the ADE files except the 3 I mention in my last reply still remain on and active in Default.  I never fly in ORBX areas with FTX Central set to  default, anyway, so I didn't discover this issue until I changed back to default to compare the default KCPU airport with the ORBX version. It doesn't really cause a problem, otherwise. I just turned that one airport off Manually by typing .off after it for that occasion. I can live with this issue until you get it fixed in the next patch. 

BTW, unrelated to this topic, I thought I'd mention that I also have Tongas Fjords installed on this computer. They are located just below the FTX regions in the FSX scenery library. Thanks for your help.

Sam

Archived