Should I buy and install FS Global 2010 FTX mesh?

hwh86

I am a very happy owner/user of FSGlobal2010FTX, and I have FTX Global and Vector 1.1 installed. FSGlobal2010FTX was a huge upgrade improvement to so many areas of the world that had absolutley no character in stock fsx form. Yes there are anomolies...but there are anamolies in every other piece of software on the market as well, including FSX and P3D all versions (part of the hobby IMHO). For me the improvement far outweighs the minor and few anomolies that exist. Personally I prefer the be a part of the development and solutions concept... instead of misssing out because of unrealistic expectations from software developers. Lol ^-^

I suppose that mesh is like any geophysical data set and it needs to be scrubbed.  It can also be called 'ground truthing' IMO  

That said I may use it if is available for cleaned up regions that jive with ORBX regions like PNW.  

Problem is that data cleanup is expensive with all the people hours involved.

Cheers

jja

Mesh is all about personal preference, folks, and like most scenery addons thee will be tradeoffs. No opinion is right or wrong. Some people feels it adds significantly to their immersion, while others just don't like the plateau anomalies (although I understand FSGlobal has a utility that fixes those). I used FSGenesis in FS9 and really liked it, although I personally hated the plateaus. Now that I use P3D exclusively, I haven't felt a real need for mesh as I feel the default mesh is much better than FS9 and FSX (I had a brief moment with FSX.... very brief). I'm content with what is there. It's all about your individual priorities and what you want from your sim experience. Tim's experience and wants and my experience and wants are different. Neither of us is right or wrong.

Todd

Todd, are you sure, the default P3D2 Mesh being different from the FSX default Mesh? As far as I recall, P3D1 took most geographical data (except landclass, which was enhanced, if I am right) straight from FSX (ESP), and P3D2 has just a (magnificantly) updated rendering engine.

For what it's worth, I see a huge difference using Pilot's Ultimate Mesh in P3D2 (with all its Pros and Cons). Just compare the mountains north of Vancouver around Capilano lake.

Kind regards, Michael

Mesh is all about personal preference, folks, and like most scenery addons thee will be tradeoffs. No opinion is right or wrong. Some people feels it adds significantly to their immersion, while others just don't like the plateau anomalies (although I understand FSGlobal has a utility that fixes those). I used FSGenesis in FS9 and really liked it, although I personally hated the plateaus. Now that I use P3D exclusively, I haven't felt a real need for mesh as I feel the default mesh is much better than FS9 and FSX (I had a brief moment with FSX.... very brief). I'm content with what is there. It's all about your individual priorities and what you want from your sim experience. Tim's experience and wants and my experience and wants are different. Neither of us is right or wrong.

Todd

FSX and P3Dv2 are almost twins in every respect. The biggest change made to FSX/ESP is visual. Going to a DX11 shader to offload some rendering work to the GPU which in turn introduced visual updates like Volumetric clouds, more customizable shadows (huge fps hit when used), ambient lighting and so on. A big thing that also changed was Autogen fading in further out from you to eliminate popping of grouped autogen. The autogen thing is my favorite change. So much more on the ground and way further out from me.

There was an interview on AVSIM with LM developers and was explained that there has been no change to most everything else.

- It is still 32 bit

- the mesh is exactly the same out of the box

- the airport and navdata is exactly the same out of the box

- the weather engine is exactly the same out of the box

- the overall ATC and AI is exactly the same out of the box

- affinity mask behaves exactly the same (they changed nothing in multicore handling of code)

- flight model mechanics are exactly the same out of the box

- overall fps at similar settings is about the same as DX9 but some report smoother

- you can still get OOM's and moreso now on 2.1

I couldn't fly without good mesh these days, depending on where you fly you could get away without it though ... where I lived in W Germany for three years in mid 70's was almost completely flat for example but back home in N Scotland and near the Highlands and Cairngorms the difference is massive with good mesh over stock FSX.

Sure the anomalies are a pain, but they are not nearly as prevalent as some might think, for example we have one user in this thread who has used Genesis mesh for years who has never seen them and I know they exist with that program because I used to use it too, also the screenshots shown of these errors tend to show extreme examples (But I've seen worse  8)  ) most of the time its no big deal.

FSX and P3D V2.1 are far from perfect in many area's and I don't just mean scenery, I've learned to live with many of their idiosyncrasies now ... do any mesh vendors offer any trial software? that might be a good idea for those sitting on the fence.

Todd

Well said.  Some people like myself are willing to put up with the anomalies as a tradeoff for more detail mesh, others are not.  That's all I was trying to point out with my posts in this thread is that if you do want that extra detail, you have to put up with the potential anomalies and that all mesh products are going to be prone to them just due to how FSX works.

Since several have been asking for photos here's a quick couple with just Pilot's FS Global 2010 FTX installed no Vector as of yet!

2014-3-8_16-19-47-81_zpscf394487.png

2014-3-8_16-29-27-956_zps504c9bb0.png

2014-3-8_16-23-49-114_zps2bda4885.png

I have elevation issues at pretty much every AP I've been to in FSX (Default or Add-on). Currently, I'm still waiting for many of the bugs in elevations too be fixed in Vector before I purchase. For now FS Global 2010 is deactivated in my scenery library.

I just had to buy Global FS 2010 and see for myself. And, as far as I'm concerned, it was money well spent. Very well spent, in fact.

I have been trialing P3Dv2 (with both Base and Vector installed) and apart from the welcome shader improvement, I won't be leaving FSX DX10 for a while yet, not until P3Dv2 has as many available add-ons as my FSX has! So the Global mesh (P3Dv2 seems to have a decent mesh, but not as good as Global FS 2010) has breathed even more life into my sim. I love flying around fjords and mountains, so FS 2010 is an amazing extra to have. The huge amount of extra contours (and extra shadows due to the contours) literally make Global Base/Vector look as good as a full fat region. Well, to me, anyway.

Here are a few screens just outside Sion, Switzerland. Yes, this is FSX combined with Global Base/Vector and FS 2010........oh and a few graphical mods thrown in.......who needs P3Dv2 when FSX can still look this good? ;)

fj8pd.jpg

kNPW.jpg

O7fGM.jpg

Very Nice PICs!

Do you have Ground Shadows Enabled in DX10 and what's the performance hit?

IIRC in DX9 it's recommended to keep Ground Shadows OFF due to the large performance hit and poor rendering of the actual shadows...

Very Nice PICs!

Do you have Ground Shadows Enabled in DX10 and what's the performance hit?

IIRC in DX9 it's recommended to keep Ground Shadows OFF due to the large performance hit and poor rendering of the actual shadows...

No, I don't have ground shadows enabled. The performance hit is one problem, the other is the fact that, for me, ground shadows cause flickering anomalies. I'll be honest, as good as the dynamic shadows in P3Dv2 are, you don't really appreciate them when actually flying around, unless you're really low. The pictures I posted are running simple SweetFX and Shade settings. Together, with baked on shadows here and there, it looks as good as any flight sim. 

With the new version 2 of the DX10 fixer, I now have shadows enabled in the PMDG 777 VC, so I agree with Storm, who needs P3D :)

Yeah, Steve is doing a great job updating his DX10 fixer tool. Excellent product and definitely makes DX10 FSX the best choice now.

I don't enjoy reading posts like this. You are being a gentleman about it, Bladderboy, but, as far as I'm concerned, you have been deceived by Orbx and Pilot's. Either company will no doubt state otherwise, but such an important problem (and it is a problem, no matter who or what is to blame) should be made very, very clear by Pilot's before purchasing. Not making this significant information transparently clear is plain wrong. 

Come on now. There are people out there who actually were aware of those issues. I've been simming for about 10 years and the flat airport concept leading to plateaus with high resolution mesh was old news to me.

Come on now. There are people out there who actually were aware of those issues. I've been simming for about 10 years and the flat airport concept leading to plateaus with high resolution mesh was old news to me.

+1

What a ridiculous comment. Most people in the UK know that a built up area with streetlights generally means that the road is a 30mph speed limit, but we still have signs telling us. Maybe we should remove all of the 30mph signs and just expect every driver - including new - to know these things. And when they get caught speeding we can all say to them, "we knew, why didn't you?". 

If an add-on has a detrimental effect, then it should be made completely clear from the outset. Just because some people are aware of potential problems, it doesn't mean we all are, does it? Not informing a customer that this or that add-on will cause this or that problem is bad customer service.   

Archived