NCA KCCR Concord : car traffic inside the airport

dominique

There is a car traffic inside the airport (not airport vehicles, regular cars) near the control tower. This is not a bug as I suspect it exists in real life (a John Glenn Drive goes almost to RW 32) but the somewhat hectic nature of the FSX traffic makes the suspension of disbelief a little difficult  there  :wacko:  :)  (my road traffic is at 20%).

I know Glen Drive very well. Back when I was an active pilot, I flew out of CCR. I rented a tie-down space on the apron to the right of where the road turns left to begin its parking lot loop. For several years, got to see the traffic using Glen Drive at all times of the day.

With my auto-traffic set to 10%, I see the amount of traffic that was typical during the busiest times of day. The problem is that Glen Drive has a 25 MPH speed limit, and the parking lot the parking lot is slower (I believe 5 MPH). The high-speed of FSX ai-traffic does impinge on the “suspension of disbelief†at CCR and other places in FSX. I’d like to slow down all ai cars and truck road traffic, as well as ai airport-vehicle traffic.

I know this is an FSX issue. Is there a safe utility, or simple SDK editing instructions on how to slow down ai auto/truck and airport ramp traffic? I am leery about trying utilities or editing procedure that I found by Googling without having user feedback confirming the safety of these utilities and SDK editing procedures. Could the FSX team create such a utility?

Howard_S

Hi guys,

each time I'm re-installing FSX one of the first tweaks I do is to slow down the highway traffic. As Bruce states there's a good tutorial at Avsim and there are plenty of other descriptive threads such as http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/how-to-adjust-speed-for-car-traffic-in-fsx.13250/

Specific to KCCR I can remove the traffic vectors from the road next to the tower if you prefer; I agree it looks a bit odd even with slower traffic speed.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger, no traffic at this particular place would indeed be better than that we see today (except if Howard feels bad about it :)) ! And thanks to both Bruce and Holger  for  these tutorials I didn't know. I will get my traffic a little lower than 20%  but I want to see some on the three highways around Buchanan. That's integral part of the landing fun, right ?

Not only is “no traffic better than bad trafficâ€, but for Glenn Drive, no traffic is more realistic most of the time. This is a dead-end airport service road. When the airport businesses are closed, only cars with pilots and their passengers going to or from their aircraft use this street. The street is normally empty.

Even when the airport businesses are open, most cars turning onto Glenn Drive park at to one the large FBOs, businesses, or ramp parking located near the beginning of the Glenn Drive. Only a few drive all the way to the tower.

Thanks for removing the highway traffic and racetrack from CCR.

Howard_S

Update:

David "Opa" Marshall’s ai-traffic speed tutorial is no longer posted on Avsim, and too many links from http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/how-to-adjust-speed-for-car-traffic-in-fsx.13250/ no longer work.

I did finally find the tutorial at FlightSim.com, at: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=21665592

I just glanced over it, and see this is what I need, a clear and complete explanation.

I also found that FTX offers a program that does this, ORBX_SLOWER_TRAFFIC_V3. But I want to slow airport vehicles even more that auto traffic, so I’ll use the tutorial instead.

Thanks for the tutorial info. I’m sure others will find this helpful.

Howard_S

Archived