My other hobby

Kilstorm

I've been flying a remote control quad Phantom 1 for about a year now and recently got the Phantom 2 with its longer flight times more range and better lifting capacities.  I've also added a few new items to it which is a iOSD mini (On Screen Display) showing me my important info in the video feed I get to the goggles I wear flying it first person.  Such as height, distance, speed, v/s, battery life, flight mode, amount of GPS signals, where home is, artificial horizion plus a few other things.  That and a I added a FlyTrex which is a flight data recorder which allows one to then take the data and upload your flight after you land to their site like I did with this flight:

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-takeflightcinema-take-flight-16047/

And heres the video taking that data and using Dashware to provide visuals for the info on top of the video I recorded on my GoPro while flying:

>http://youtu.be/JFagpHnijaw

Finally this is one last thing you can do with that data to allow a 3d look at the flight in google earth by exporting it as a kml file. (Its cool in GE cause you can pan around and zoom in very Matrix like)

p2_zpsda32288b.jpg

Heres the great thing, in this video I only went about 1,200feet from my take-off point or me with the controller.  This thing has a range of 3,200 feet and a failsafe system where if you go out of range or loose connection with it, it uses its onboard GPS to return home and auto land!  I've gone that 3,000 feet or 1000k or .06mile on another flight and it really gives you a feeling of range and not being restricted to flying locally.

Pretty cool Nate.  I remember your first vid when you first started messing with those. I to enjoy this kind of stuff. I'm having a company called Eagle360 that is doing the STC and building a GoPro camera pod and an airborne sensor pod for my Liberty XL2.  After 10 years in the middle east I want to get into the business of aerial photography, aerial video, photogrametry, and eventualy I want to do LIDAR and aerial geo spatial stuff.

Good stuff Nate!

Yeah brother but you only have one of the greatest sim cockpits ever made though too!  We are going to have to coloborate on this UAV of yours.  I'm interested in it and may be able to put it into a business plan with the aerial photo stuff I want to do.

That was such a cool video brother, I'm gonna watch it again!

Thanks Jason! Dude they are about to release some amazing hardware! For about 12K USD you could get a S1000 with a 3 axis gimbal that can transmit 1080HD video (no noise and you can watch your flight live on a HD TV with all the flight info of alt, distance etc) using a DSLR  and the ability to focus and zoom up to a mile away! Two pilots..one can fly the multi and the other can operate the gimbal.  Yeah its ground floor for this new business for anyone wanting to get going on an untapped market.  For myself..Im not interested that much (yet) just enjoy the hobby and my own flying.

Archived