Are these textures ok? (NCA)

AndreaD

Hi Andrea,

I recognize that area as the tank farm near the eastern end of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. Take a look in Bing -- http://binged.it/1hxaZte -- to see how it looks in reality. It's not one of our photoreal coverage areas meaning we had to represent it with "generic" landclass. I also remember trimming our coverage of the refinery class a bit because otherwise there were lots of tanks half-floating on the steep slopes.

In short, yes, that texture is OK.

Cheers, Holger

Ah ok, thanks Holger. And re: the autogen, I have buildings on dense and veggies on normal: I want >20 fps everywhere with my A2A 172

Anyway, I have a feeling that Australia has better textures (and I know it should not be the case). I also reinstalled everything and that got rid of the stutters I was experiencing. I am just a bit perplexed with the general feeling ...

Bye

Andrea

I think part of the issue of that industrial texture is the unevenness of the land around it. The effect of terrain textures on uneven surfaces is that they stretch, producing some warpage  (actually quite amazing how well the elevated rim matches the landclass.)

The Au textures will not be better in this regard, although the detail of Australian mesh doesn't allow for details quite like this in the terrain.

I appreciate the desire for smooth flight, but I think at this altitude any texture will look odd with low autogen settings due to flattened building footprints and in this case, terrain stretching.  Industrial landscapes are pretty grey and featureless without buildings.

Might be worth taking a look at the area with the autogen settings at Ex Dense (temporarily) for comparison, remembering that the junction between landclass and the surrounding terrain (in this case bright green grass!) is always a compromise.

Archived