FTX Global Base - complete failure to install?

Pod

Please help. Spent all of yesterday on a fresh install of FSX, Restarted after and completed Acceleration as well. Restarted again and installed FS Global Ultimate mesh, with a restart in between each. Then loaded the sim to confirm the mesh was working. Test flew a couple of regions, with no problems. FSX loaded and ran well, the mesh looked good.

I had decided to treat myself and bought FTX Global Base. Downloaded from the Flightsimstore (order FSS0271609). I also downloaded the Global Base patch 120 from the Orbx website. Once downloaded, I extracted them and installed each in turn.

Loaded FSX and it just hung for a long time. Took c. 2 mins to change aircraft and then fell over (not responding) when I tried a free flight. I've rebooted many times, to no avail. Now FSX doesn't work and I'm pretty frustrated. Have spent the money and all day trying to sort this out.

I tried uninstalling Orbx, rebooting and re-installing Global Base. No change. Can anyone help?

Other info: I'm running Win 7 64bit ultimate, i5 3570k, 16GB 1600RAM and EVGA GTX650ti 2GB. 

Couple of things to kick this all off.

Have you got FTX central on your desk top,and if yes have you opened it and selected the area you want .

Have you installed patches correctly..I see there are 2 patches for global.

You say you are using FSX..I think global installer comes with options to load LM Prepar also..did you select FSX and point it to

the drive you have FSX on ?

Hello Pod,

You might try reading this document (The Definitive Guide to FTX Products - The Go To source of FTX information) to see if you have missed anything important with the install of FTX products).

The document can be found in this link: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74347-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

Thank you for the responses.

Kiwi Stu - I have FTX central on the desktop, and the region is set to Global (it's the only one). I also own FTX England but haven't tried to re-install that yet (it previously worked fine.) I definitely installed for FSX not prepar, and pointed the install at C:/FSX. I have only installed one patch for it which was the 1.20 version patch I believe.

Just defragged the drive as well but no difference. I don't have the shortcuts for the Orbx day and night lighting which I was expecting. When I launch a flight the screen goes blank, and I get 'terrain loading' but it never goes past 0% and the HDD goes on whirring forever.

Jeff - Thanks for the guide. After reading it I note that I don't have a download manager so I guess that means I should get one, re-download the package and re-install?

Appreciate the help.

Hi Pod,

• Can you confirm that you have extracted the Package to a Temp folder with 7Zip or WinZip and have these files, and that they show the right size's this will determine wether you have a complete download,  and extracted the package effectively. 
  • OrbxFTXGlobal100.zip should be 4,380,449 KB

OrbxFTXGlobal100.exe     506,345 KB

OrbxFTXGlobal100.2         512,000 KB

OrbxFTXGlobal100.3         512,000 KB

OrbxFTXGlobal100.4         512,000 KB

OrbxFTXGlobal100.5         512,000 KB

OrbxFTXGlobal100.6         512,000 KB

OrbxFTXGlobal100.7         512,000 KB

OrbxFTXGlobal100.8         512,000 KB

OrbxFTXGlobal100.9         290,196 KB

Important Read Me!.txt      1 KB

Also have you

• Installed on your PC  .net 4.0  or .net 4.5.1
  • executed the installer OrbxFTXGlobal100.exe, As administrator (Right Click on .exe  select ) and that you have Full permissions over your FSX Main folder.
  • Installed FTX Global 1.10 patch along with the 1.20 patch
  • A green tick on the Global Icon within FTX Central, and have clicked on the Apply Button.
  • Installed the Latest Orbx Libraries 140201 after you installed FTX Global & or 1.10 1.20 patches. 

Cheers Jeff

Hi,

I have OrbFTXGlobal110, unzipped into a new folder. In the folder are 11 files, including the readme. 9 of them files are an identical 512,000kb,

except  10.10 which is 236,237kb,

and the application itself which is 506,296 kb.

All your other points I have covered Jeff, with the exception of the library update. I was planning to install FTX Eng before doing this as it's supposed to be last I believed. 

I will install it now.

Thanks Pod.

Right. I have installed 1.20 and the library update. Now the sim has booted into the default flight, but all the nearest tiles are black, with the autogen on top. Further away the scenery looks to be the right colour. I tried a couple of locations and it was the same. Rebooted and tried to select another aircraft and it is hanging again.

PC I think the Installer has been updated as I have the FTX 110 rather than 100 installer, which might account for the file size differences. Have now downloaded it with a download manager and it is the same size...

Pod.

Also there is green where there ought to be sea. The sim will change aircraft but it hangs for  long time. The terrain is really all to cock. 

Thanks for the help so far - I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Pod.

Hi Pod,

Yes you are right FTX Global with 1.10 incorporated would be different size to the 1.00 version, I am out of Ideas at the moment why your sim is hanging, maybe its time for a Developer to respond.

If you chose the option to backup your default FSX textures when the installer prompted, maybe you could try uninstalling FTX Global reverting your sim to default textures that might reveal something.

Cheers Jeff

Hi Again Pod,

This is a long shot, but have you updated your Graphics drivers recently, some users have experienced hangs, freezes, and graphic anomalies, with the latest Nvidia driver reverting to the previous driver made things all better again. And then there are those who have no problems at all. Just trying to see if that might be playing a part in your issue.

Cheers Jeff

Jeff, thanks for all your ideas. I have the latest Nvidia drivers. Still no change. I also used the uninstall script as mentioned above, and reinstalled with the version I downloaded withe the download manager and updated the library.

What do I have to do to get someone from the team to help me?

Hi Pod,

What I meant with the Nvidia Driver, was to say the new one has caused issues for some users not all though, and that if you have the latest one you might try going back to the one you had previously. any way that's all for now I am out of ideas.

As for Team members responding, I'm sure they have been watching and will reply very soon, they are very busy with projects ATM and will reply ASAP.

You could always "Bump" your post to the top of the list just type the word (bumpnothing else, in the Reply panel of this thread and click post. this usually gets the Thread viewed again it is a "filtered search term"

Cheers Jeff

Yes, I have been watching and you have been given all the advice I would have given.

I am not a developer, as you can see but here is my advice.

I suspect that now your terrain.cfg file has become corrupt.

I would suggest that you visit flightsim.com, for example and search for

mod_terr.zip.

This is a default FSX terrain.cfg file.

Rename your terrain.cfg file, which you will find in C:\FSX and then put the downloaded version in its place.

To start with, do not touch FTX Central but run FSX and see if it will then work properly.

Okay so I have now resolved this issue.

I tried to replace the terrain.cfg file with a fresh copy. Rebooted, but the problem remained. I did the same with the scenery.cfg file, again with no joy.

Finally figured - what the hell and uninstalled Orbx and Acceleration. Ran the FSX repair utility, and re-installed Acceleration. I the. Installed the FTX Global 110 installer, but this time I used a copy which I downloaded using a download manager. It worked perfectly. I think that by not using a download manager I may have used an installer which had errors in it.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me on this issue. It was reassuring to have people trying to help out. This was my first foray into the forums, and was quite positive!

Hi Pod,

Glad to know that your back on track, so there was some kind of corruption in the FSX it would seem, only revealing itself when FTX Global was installed.

Though it was a great idea to Remove Accpack run Repair then reinstall from that point, you may be right about the original DL of FTX Global being somehow corrupt, this is the reason why its recommended to use a Download manager, particularly with Installer packages over 500Mb where a Internet browser's DL Tools will not cope very well with a timeout situation, and deliver a corrupt or incomplete Download.

I am happy that you had a positive outcome, welcome to the Orbx Forum. Next step will be to install FTX England I imagine. Just remember to always finish with "The latest Libraries" and check from time to time at Fullterrain.com  support for any updates for your products, Ed will post update announcements also in the,  Forum "Release Announcements" section .

Cheers Jeff

Archived