Windows 8.1

I have no problems with the ORBX products I use. I need to use 8.1 for reasons other than simming. It does in fact have useful changes under the hood most people just see the metro UI differences and dont like it from that. There is important architectural changes, especially in kernel and filesystem areas. BTW this is common to the server product line too.

I have been having issues with flight controller hardware but frankly Im not sure if its P3D or MS and I suspect its P3D as other apps I have no controller issues

I run my Flightsim PC on Win 7 64 and a gaming general use PC on Win 8.1, before the .1 free update I was not too happy with Win 8 and went out of my way to make it more like Win 7, with 8.1 you dont need to do that, you can boot to desktop and never see that awful (IMHO) Metro interface ... as has been mentioned Win 8.1 has some useful stuff under the bonnet and I suspect its a slightly faster OS than Win 7, not worth switching to on my FS rig IMHO but if I was buying again I'd not hesitate to go Win 8.1 for FSX now.

The only casualty Flight Sim wise I've heard of is the WW2 sim IL2 Cliffs of Dover and that was for vanilla Win 8, but there was a workaraound and if you use the Team Fusion Mod (essential IMHO) that will fix that problem too.

I know I am late in posting this but I do run FSX in win 8.1 and actually have no problems with it now...yes I do admit it took me about 3 refreshes to get it right but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me. I did install the global base and had no problems with that..although with vector, I not only had the spikes but it looked like as if I was flying over a WWI battlefield, so I took it off for now. And yes I did it get to run out of the Program files folders.

Archived