Jeff's Round the World with ORBX (031) [dark, dark Alaska!]

jpreou

Jeff's Round the World with ORBX (031) [dark, dark Alaska!]

Leg 031 - N.Alaska

Cruising around northen Alaska with Opus real-time weather and REX4 textures = wow!

This trip was:

Wainwright (PAWL) to Barrow (PABR)

In real life, I'd stay on the group, but this is sim, so here we go! :)

It's looking pretty serious as I leave Wainwright: don't be fooled, this is 10 o'clock in the morning!

Viz is down to less than one mile horizontally and about 300ft vertically from the ground.

2xgp.jpg

uetv.jpg

Leaving the moon behind!

8kec.jpg

Making the turn over Atqasuk

dkqd.jpg

This was great. I think this is the first time, ever, I have had to shoot an ILS approach and not a visual. Oh, I've done ILS approaches before, in rain and poor viz, but I could still see the runway lights from way out. This time is was about three quarters of a mile and 250ft before I caught the lights. The ILS was also off, so I quickly disengaged the AP and flew the last few seconds on manual.

... which is when I discovered the plane had developed quite a remarkable left turn (and no, it wasn't a fuel imbalance; I'll need to investigate this one before flying again ... out with the inspection mirror and the toolkit I think!).

Anyway, made a safe landing, went and toped up the tanks (I was down to 16%) and then parked up. I'll settle myself down and then look into that control issue before I fly again.

22g5.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Archived