Question about FTX England/London and OOM

sagginb

I have been working on this area for a while now to see if I can stop my OOM on every flight around London.

I have now got a couple Orbx/FTX airports (EGTR & EGSG) I would really like to use in that area. I have "no" other addons/airports etc. in this area. (except for FTX/EU England).

I can't make it from either airport to say London City airport without OOM.

Have tried other larger cities like say Manchester and such and my memory seems to hold up fine.

Tried a couple US cities...like St. Louis & New York city today with global/vector and all things loaded up (traffic autogen etc.) and got great FPS and memory held up real good.

The only other serious issue (in this region) is when I try to use EGHI and fly out around Southampton and Portsmouth...if I can get away from EGHI fast enough sometimes I can get my memory a little stable and keep from OOM....it's no as bad as around London.

I have been working at everything lower LOD 3.5....lower autogen..no traffic....autos/ship off...textures set @ 1024...also spent a couple days with DX10 and set it up using advice from things/post found in that forum here ( I could play with this option more in the future).

Nothing I can find seems to help me in this area.

It's hard for me to fly around places like New York city and have it work so well.. and come to my nice region in England (London/Southampton area only) and not be able to use it and the airports there.

I guess any advice or thought would be great...I love Orbx airports but I really am worried about getting more if they could create more OOM for me in other areas.

I was thinking about getting PAEN next...but don't want to create the same thing around Anchorage like in London.

I have not tested in all my regions...all cities and areas. Maybe more common for my setup...can't say for sure.

One thing for sure I am worried at this point about getting more airports....talk me off the ledge..hahahaha. ^-^

Again any thoughts would be welcome...maybe something I am missing or doing wrong.

Thanks Shawn

Thanks for the reply spirit_66.

I don't have a lot of problems with my rig..in fact I have another pc right at my desk i7 3820 clocked @ 4.6 ghz and this i5 @4.2 ghz run fsx better for me.

Yes I use FSUIPC and the IPC:024C (S32) to keep track of my memory....I get OOM's at about the 300000 and below reading...pings about 250000.

Well I just came from 2 trips....

Trip #1: All around the Cardiff area...I had zero trouble...memory stayed around 800000 and above...and FPS were never slow (maybe lower 20 at worst).

I went like this for like 30+ mins. (reminds me how much I love fsx and orbx)

The trip #2: Started @ EGTR...1300000 reading (in FSUIPC)..was down to 700000 when I started getting near the city of London....600000 when I made a turn @ Big Ben....500000 as I went down the Thames.

....400000 as I turned along beside the Millenium Dome.....300000 when I got to London city airport...froze...but no CTD...210000 when I got going again....one ping from FSUIPC and OOM.

It makes me feel a little better that it will do this every time for me...I hate it when it does something one time...and not the next.

I was looking to see if anyone else has this..or just on my end.

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

well, I never had OOMs or maybe only once during using FSX/P3D for a longere time so it's difficult to give advice. I only know, that I always start FSX, chose the aircraft and location etc. and fly. If I want to change the aircraft, location etc. I always end FSX and start new.

Did you already check FSX if it's using 4 GB, normally this bit should be set with FSX Acc.

Do you use a very "heavy" airplane for your flights?

Sorry not to know more for you.

Spirit

Spirit,

I have in the past worked at setting DX10 up in FSX...and did so again a few days ago...using some thoughts/ideas posted by Paul J at this forum..in DX10 section here.

While it worked ok for me....seems as always to me about the same as DX9. I just can't seem to get a lot better out of DX10. I still had this happen around London.

Yes seems to be using 4 GB...Using both Process Explorer & Windows Task Manager get the same reading...start flight around 4.2 GB...and just keeps going up.

When I get OOM or CTD it's well over a 5 GB reading.

I have a similar start up thought as you...do as little a possible in FSX before hitting fly. I even tell myself to slowly count to 3 or 4 between hitting any button...seems FSX like it better if I go a little slower hitting buttons.

I have been using Aircraft like Waco, Carendo 185 &182, Twin Otter Extended and this morning..A2A Spitfire both versions 2 and 3.

To tell the truth...if this didn't happen to me every time around London I might just not even think about it.

I'm going to fly some more bigger cities in England and see what I get later tonight.

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts...

Shawn

Ok I have found "my" fix for the London area so I can at least use my Orbx airfields when I fly through London.

It was just me being pig headed...

I would switch autogen down to "dense" and then "normal" and still get OOM's and CTD'S.

It really is just the area from Heathrow to London City that is killer for me.

I just flew a lot of cities around England and didn't have much problems...so I went back to London.

I was doing the same bleeding memory...so in flight I paused and switched the autogen down to the "sparse" setting!

This change got me out of the area and was able to turn autogen back up as I left that area and seemed to be stable enough for me to keep going to my airport.

I will keep this in mind before I buy airports near bigger cities.

Thank You spirit_66 for taking time to reply. ::)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post can be marked "Answered" if you like.

Thanks...Shawn

Hi Shawn,

I've got an i5 2500k, 3.2 gig, not over clocked, 2gb. ATI card, 16 gig ram, overall slightly less powered than your system, I've got all Orbx airports and sceneries, and up to last week I've never had an OOM in FSX, but I've just started to get into the PMDG 737 again re: FMC use age, and I now get occasional OOM's on approach to Heathrow!

Sometimes I get a pinging sound, I take it that's a warning from FSUIPC? I don't use FSUIPC, It's only the basic one, installed by a previous add on, I don't even know what it does, or to set it up!

Anyhow I've now idea why I've suddenly started to get these OOM's it must be the use of the 737 over London, my auto gen is usually set to dense!

Cheers,

Mal.

PS. Can you check your VAS settings, on the fly, with FSUIPC?

Hello Mal.

You can have FSUIPC setup to show you your level while flying.

Open FSUIPC and then Logging tab...Specific value checks set...Base-IPC...Offset-024C...Type-S32

and at the bottom select FS Window...to get a reading in a green bar...FS Title to get reading in windowed mode only in the title.

I found if I'm in this area I just have to pause the game and change my autogen setting all the way down to "sparse" and seemed to be able to stop the memory crash...when I got a little out of this area...pause and reset autogen back up and all seemed to work fine...Traffic @ Heathrow can also be a killer.

Shawn

Spirit,

I have in the past worked at setting DX10 up in FSX...and did so again a few days ago...using some thoughts/ideas posted by Paul J at this forum..in DX10 section here.

While it worked ok for me....seems as always to me about the same as DX9. I just can't seem to get a lot better out of DX10. I still had this happen around London.

Yes seems to be using 4 GB...Using both Process Explorer & Windows Task Manager get the same reading...start flight around 4.2 GB...and just keeps going up.

When I get OOM or CTD it's well over a 5 GB reading.

If I may....FSX as a 32 bit programme in a 64 bit OS cannot use more than 4096 mb of VAS, more commonly referred to as 4gb.

The only figure relevant to VAS in Process Explorer is Virtual Size and if you monitor this, you will always see it fail at 4096mb.

Correctly set up, Dx10 will typically use 300-500 less mb of VAS in a given situation than Dx9.

Also, it will continue to work right up to this limit which is usually enough to get through what would have beaten Dx9.

Other than reducing the settings in FSX, a very effective way of reducing VAS usage is to load only the scenery that you plan to

fly over, particularly if you have large amounts of photo scenery.

Flights over London, even with every complex addon enabled and in a complex aircraft can be achieved but even Dx10 can be beaten

with over ambitious settings and/or too much time spent in spot view.

@anfield ace.....I believe that FSUIPC has to be the registered version before the VAS monitor can be set up.

If you can do it, be aware that it monitors the VAS remaining, unlike the Virtual Size reading in Process Explorer which monitors the VAS used.

Regards,

Nick.

Shawn,

I'd been having the OOM's in the same area, and just spent a couple of days setting DX10 up correctly. I can now fly over London in the RealAir Lancair Legacy, with scenery set on extremely dense and autogen on dense without getting any OOM. I can really recommend going to DX10, but it does take some careful reading to set it up properly.

Cheers

Jack

Yes Nick your right...those 4.2 gb  to over 5 gb was the reading in Windows Task Manger not Process Explorer under Virtual Size. Now I see that it is best to watch in Process Explorer.

Thanks

Nick & Jack...yes it's true I didn't get my setup with DX10 all sorted I only spent a couple days fooling with it. (most of it flying).

I will try again I'm sure...It did work ok..just might not have got it setup proper so it could be better than dx9.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Shawn!

I have the same problem with EGHI, EGTR and England-London Area. A flight with a Carenado C172 from EGTR to EGHI is not possible with Extreme Dense Autogen, although I can fly through all other areas (KORS to KSEA) with the same settings and have no OOMs. And this with the A2A C172 which is almost like the PMDG 737.

I think the mixture of England/London, EGHI, EGTR and Vector is the reason? I hope there will be a "performance Update" for this region in future.

Unfortunately at the most postings about OOMs I miss the Autogen Setting Values (Dense, very dense...). In my case it helped to lower the Autogen setting to dense.

Regards,

Martin

• 1 month later...

I just spotted this post and concur that I get close to OOM in and around London area. Specifically London City airport.

I find the NGX 737 has an additional effect also. The aircraft model frequently uses more than 1000mb more than a "basic" FSX coded aircraft.

Remember NGX uses custom code!

I am wondering if Canberra City Scape and Canberra airport (AU) has the same OOM issue? The detail would appear to just as great in Canberra?

Cheers

David

Archived