KLAS still on a Plateau after Vector

JRBarrett

For the past 2 years I have been running Pilots FS Global Ultimate terrain mesh (all world regions) on my FSX installation. After installing the mesh, many airports - especially add-ons - were sitting up on plateaus. I clearly understood that this was due to errors in the airport elevations in the default FSX airports, brought to light with the addition of the higher resolution, more accurate Ultimate mesh. I have been "living with" this issue, hoping that eventually a product like Vector would come on the scene which would correct all the default airports in one go.

A couple of months ago, I purchased FTX Global base. I had been a previous user of GEX, and found the FTX textures far superior. FTX, of course, did nothing for the airports on plateaus, (nor did I expect it to).

One particularly bad airport in terms of being "elevated" above the surrounding terrain is KLAS, Las Vegas McCarren airport. Approaching runway 25L from the east is like landing on an aircraft carrier. The entire airport appears to be on top of a flat-top mesa, elevated about 100 feet above the surrounding city of Las Vegas. (It only does this with the Global Ultimate mesh. With default FSX mesh, KLAS looks normal in relation to surrounding terrain.)

Unfortunately, after installing VECTOR, nothing has changed. KLAS is still on top of a plateau. I have verified that VECTOR is definitely working in other regards in this area... the layout of roads, railroads, highway interchanges etc was notably improved after Vector was installed. The two VECTOR entries in scenery.cfg are present, and in the correct positions within the CFG file.

Where are the airport elevation correction files found?I was under the (perhaps incorrect) assumption that they were in the folder FTX_VECTOR_AEC. On my installation, there are only 363 files in this folder... far fewer than the 24000+ airports in FSX, and of those 363 BGL files, it appears that only 8 of them relate to airports in the US - specifically KABQ, KMCO, KMHN, KOMA, KORD, KPHX, KSEA and KSGU.

The installation of VECTOR was done as administrator, and appeared to complete without error, but am I missing files?

Thanks,

Jim Barrett

FTXG: FSS0224856

FTXVector: FSS0258398

Where are the airport elevation correction files found?I was under the (perhaps incorrect) assumption that they were in the folder FTX_VECTOR_AEC. On my installation, there are only 363 files in this folder... far fewer than the 24000+ airports in FSX, and of those 363 BGL files, it appears that only 8 of them relate to airports in the US - specifically KABQ, KMCO, KMHN, KOMA, KORD, KPHX, KSEA and KSGU.

I have the same question. I was under the impression that the Vector product would fix the airport elevation issues for all 24K+ airports while using mesh. I have only had time to fly around Colorado and its a mess. Even KDEN is on a plateau. That doesn't even include the deep cavernous sinkholes through the mountains and sporadic needles pointing to the heavens. How can we possibly post every error when, Colorado alone is a mess. This is going to take too much effort on the part of the customers to fulfill what was initially advertised.

I have the same question. I was under the impression that the Vector product would fix the airport elevation issues for all 24K+ airports while using mesh. I have only had time to fly around Colorado and its a mess. Even KDEN is on a plateau. That doesn't even include the deep cavernous sinkholes through the mountains and sporadic needles pointing to the heavens. How can we possibly post every error when, Colorado alone is a mess. This is going to take too much effort on the part of the customers to fulfill what was initially advertised.

I was just re-reading JV's initial post from September 12 announcing the upcoming release of VECTOR. In the included FAQ in that announcement, it was stated that the airport elevation corrections would be an "optional install".

When I ran the the VECTOR installer, it never asked whether I did (or did not) want to install elevation corrections. I know that JV's initial post was made several months ago, when the product was in beta, and that something might have changed since then...

I'm not at my FSX computer right now, but later today I will visit the US airports that DO appear in the folder FTX_VECTOR__AEC folder (ABQ, MCO, SEA, PHX among others) to see if there are any cliffs or canyons at those specific locations.

Bernd stated in a previous post (regarding missing golf courses) that the courses were present in the OSM source data, but something evidently went wrong in compiling this initial VECTOR release, and the golf courses did not appear in the final files. Perhaps something similar may have happened with the elevation corrections.

Just read Stefan Schaefer's post (pinned at the top of this forum) regarding "mesh clarifications". In a response written earlier today, he said that the airport elevation corrections did NOT make it into the initial V1.0 release of VECTOR, but that they will be included in the first V1.10 patch.

So, my question is answered. I have no problem waiting, I was just concerned that something might have gone wrong with the installation of VECTOR.

Just read Stefan Schaefer's post (pinned at the top of this forum) regarding "mesh clarifications". In a response written earlier today, he said that the airport elevation corrections did NOT make it into the initial V1.0 release of VECTOR, but that they will be included in the first V1.10 patch.

So, my question is answered. I have no problem waiting, I was just concerned that something might have gone wrong with the installation of VECTOR.

Yes, many things are becoming clearer. Fact is, why not wait for realease then?

Ciao

I wrote this in another thread but I think I know what is happening in regards to this issue.

One reason they didn't release all the elevation fixes, is because they are based on the AFM flattening meshes that Pilots created awhile ago and are conflicting with new vector data. Those work great to flatten out the airport but induce other anomolies in the FTX vector data near the airport. Its a no win situation, so all airports that have elevation issues will need to be handled on individual basis. This could take awhile.

Archived