HECA Airport elevation fix required

a340500

You'll have to fix that wtith the AFM tool.

This is similar to what I see with the default KLAS (Las Vegas) airport with FS Global Ultimate mesh + Vector.

The pre-release information published regarding VECTOR clearly states that the product will correct the elevations of ALL default FSX airports, to prevent them from sitting on top of Plateaus, or in deep canyons, but this does not seem to have been applied with KLAS, and HECA.

It is my understanding that the elevation correction BGLs are in the folder FTX_VECTOR_AEC. In my installation there are only 363 files in this folder, covering only a limited number of airports worldwide. If VECTOR does indeed pre-correct ALL default airports, should there not be many more than 363 BGLs in that folder?

I am aware of the AFM flattening tool, that came with my Global Ultimate mesh, but have been reluctant to run it on an airport-by-airport basis, as I understood that Vector would pre-correct all aiport elevations.

Jim Barrett

FTXG: FSS0224856

FTXVector: FSS0258398

Disregard... In the sticky "mesh clarification" post at the top of this forum, Stefan Schaefer from PILOTS posted that the airport elevation corrections did not get included in the initial V1.00 release of VECTOR, but that they will be coming with the V1.10 patch.

Disregard... In the sticky "mesh clarification" post at the top of this forum, Stefan Schaefer from PILOTS posted that the airport elevation corrections did not get included in the initial V1.00 release of VECTOR, but that they will be coming with the V1.10 patch.

I see! Than for some commercial reason they had in the end to release the product before it was ready. Not a wise move seen the many complaints.

Ciao

One reason they didn't release all the elevation fixes, is because they are based on the AFM flattening meshes that Pilots created awhile ago and are conflicting with new vector data. Those work great to flatten out the airport but induce other anomolies in the FTX vector data near the airport. Its a no win situation, so all airports that have elevation issues will need to be handled on individual basis. This could take awhile.

One reason they didn't release all the elevation fixes, is because they are based on the AFM flattening meshes that Pilots created awhile ago and are conflicting with new vector data. Those work great to flatten out the airport but induce other anomolies in the FTX vector data near the airport. Its a no win situation, so all airports that have elevation issues will need to be handled on individual basis. This could take awhile.

I was just on the main PILOTS web site, and saw a note on the AFM product page that the AFM included with existing installations of FSG 2010 and Ultimate should NOT be used with Vector. It didn't say why, but it makes sense now. I was tempted yesterday to try flattening KLAS with AFM. Glad I didn't!

No it should work ok for most airports in Ultimate, but after applying the AFM, you may notice anomolies around the airport perimeter, such as lakes on plateaus or in sinkholes since those are set by the new FTX Vector data. It is especially bad in mountainous regions. Each airport will need to be "tuned" when using the AFM meshes which is what I assumed was part of the FTX Vector package from the getgo. 

BTW...all the AFM is a .bgl file that is added to the Scenery Cfg. No big thing. Problems that I have found in the past, is the more of those AFM meshes you apply, the slower FSX load times become.

I don't have a major qualms regarding the elevation issues as its only 2 airports so far..(FSX Dx9 - KLAS and HECA)

I have FSGlobal 2010, FTX global and with vector. All the areas I have flown to in Asia and middle east seem to be fine.

I love the way the roads and rivers look from different altitudes especially at dawn or dusk.

Just a fantastic job.. It goes to show what years of dedication from ORBX can deliver.

Vector is tremendous hence the various issues from global users.

Considering all the good that has been delivered to date, the best way forward is to work with ORBX in a Positive manner so they can address most of the major concerns first then the trivial ones..

I am thrilled that John is direct with no minced words but most importantly has dedicated developers to listen and address our concerns.

Over time, I am confident OPEN LC will fix up everything.

Cheers.

Just for clarification: we haven't released the product without airport elevation corrections. However, we only adjusted airports where the elevation difference exceeds a certain limit in comparison to real wold data. For update 1.10 we will introduce a completely new concept that sets airports elevations to a value we directly grab from our mesh sources.

Please note, that AFM and Airport elevation corrections are two different things: AEC corrects airport elevations while AFM adjusts the mesh around the airport. The reason for this distinction lies in the flat airport concept of flight simulator: no matter how correct the airport.elevation is set, if the real-world difference between runway thresholds is too big, you will still notice plateaus etc, because FSX and P3D don't simulate the effect of different runway elevations (i.e. slopes.etc).

To minimize this effect, update 1.10 will have a new approach to this. We will decide afterwards if additional corrections to the mesh around airports are required.

Many airports may require manual corrections because the flattening polygons provided by MS / LM are way too big.

Remember: there's 24.000+ airports and there's absolutely no way to check every single one prior to release (with a loading time of 20 seconds, calulate how long it would take to do that). But we take your feedback very seriously and - as we do with update 1.10 and will with future updates - provide solutions (limited, of course, to FS limitations such as the flat airport concept).

Bernd

• 2 weeks later...

That is why I am reluctant to install again my FS Global Ultimate, now that I have reinstalled FSX with FTX Global and Vector alone....   i don't have elevation issues nos but if I reinstall FS Global Ultimate, I am sure I will start getting elevation issues with some default and also add-on airports....

Archived