Help Please

shaneo17

Gday All

My name is Shane, and I need help. I was directed to this forum by a friend who told me that you guys are the ones to go to for scenery based problems in FSX. It's probably just a trivial problem, but I am not exactly what you would call proficient at dealing with FSX outside of the user interface.

I bought FSX in late 2006, and until a few months ago, i was completely happy with the way my scenery looked. But after installing a new graphics driver, the ground textures are very bad quality and autogen scenery has a very small loading radius. I've pretty much eliminated it as a driver problem, and concluded that it is more likely a settings problem. Some settings (such as AA and Anistropic filtering) are forced on my hardware (Nvidia 7900GT) and work fine, plane and building textures look great. I cant work out what the problem is, considering that most of my scenery settings are very high, if not maxed.

Thanks, Shane

FTX looks great btw  ;D

Easy fix.  ;D

Delete your \Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG file and then re-start FSX. If you are running Vista, the fsx.cfg location will be different. Google it ;)

Exit FSX, then add the following entries to the fsx.cfg at their respective sections:

[Main]

DisablePreload=1

[DISPLAY]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1000

Then set your in-game FSX sliders as per my topic here: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=861.0

That should sort you out :)

Easy fix. 

Delete your \Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG file and then re-start FSX. If you are running Vista, the fsx.cfg location will be different. Google it

Exit FSX, then add the following entries to the fsx.cfg at their respective sections:

Just to make sure you don't mess anything up...

I'm pretty sure John should have added:

Exit FSX(If running)

Then delete the file John pointed out

Re-start FSX and then Exit

Add the lines John wrote in his post...

Thanks guys, that did it  ;)

From one problem to the next though. Upon installing new aircraft from Iris payware and some freeware items from secondary websites, the aircraft show up in the 'change aircraft' section with incorrect pictures. When the aircraft maufacturer is selected in order to narrow the selection, many aircraft do not show up, and when 'details' is selected, only one aircraft from the different variants is available.  ???

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks, shane

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. In the main 'change aircraft' section, with 'show all variants' ticked, many aircraft are missing, and all are labeled incorrectly ie. the pictures do not match the aircraft names, as if there were not enough spaces to show all aircraft.

Also, when the manufacturer is selected, the aircraft selection area is blank, and when 'details' is clicked, one variant shows up in the details section. This is the only avaliable variant, as the field is blank and the others are unable to be selected.

Sorry if I confused anyone  :-\ :)

Thanks

Sounds like you then really have an issue on your hands there shane,

sorry to say that of the top of my head I wouldn't know what you have messed up in your install but if the Aircraft don't show up properly then start taking out all the ones that you have added, this to determine if in one of those is the culprit, also check if you don't have a folder called Aircraft in you main fsX folder, if so, move the aircraft in there to a separate storage folder for later use and delete that Aircraft folder.

now start you fsx and see if the stock Aircraft appear properly in the menu, if not ..... well I'm sorry to say it's back to the drawing board,

questions I still have is, wich OS do you have and have you installed sp1/2 or fsX acceleration ?

also what CPU and RAM do you have ? from a mention of a 7900GT we can't guess what you have for a system and if it is capable of running fsX properly

I'm running Vista 32 bit, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1 Gig RAM w/ FSX SP1 and Acceleration installed. The problem began after installing the Aerialfoundry F/A-18 and the Iris F-15 Eagle. Both these aircraft take up so many spaces in the Aircraft menu that it seems like there simply aren't enough spaces for all aircraft. However, that doesn't explain the fact that these aircraft don't show up when their manufacturer is selected.

Upon installing new aircraft from Iris payware and some freeware items from secondary websites

I wasn't aware that the Aerialfoundry F/A-18 was freeware. Even though Aerialfoundry appear to have closed up shop I think the F/A-18 is still a payware FS2004 product? I would hope that by secondary websites you don't mean pirated torrent sites?

Also the IRIS F15 Eagle is not compatible with FSX:ACCELERATION.

Have you raised these support questions with Simmarket or IRIS?

It might be appropriate to lock this thread. Anybody who wishes to discuss further please PM me.

I had purchased the Aerialfoundry hornet early last year, and have done everything necessary to make it compatible with FSX including acceleration. The same goes for the F-15.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that although the problem began when these aircraft were installed, they did not cause the problem. I recently did a total re-installation of FSX including SP1 and acceleration, and had this problem beforehand, without the hornet and F-15 installed. I believe that this problem is FSX based, and not caused by the installed aircraft.

I am unlocking this thread now so Shane may continue to seek an answer to his problems. If anybody has any thoughts please continue to assist.

Archived