National Airways Corp call sign

Mickel

Folks

Wiki says the call sign for NZ NAC flights were 'National' and 'New Zealand'. Does anyone know:

When the call sign may have changed?

Whether 'New Zealand' was actually used, since it would clash with ANZ? It might have been used in the TEAL days I guess.

I can't find anything else on the web that shines any further light on it.

I'm trying to get my call sign in FSX right, naturally enough.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike.i got the answer for you.My Dad was a pilot for NAC and just confirmed to me that the call sign was always...National....followed by the flight number.

I started working for Air NZ about 6 months after the NZ government closed down NAC and Air New Zealand took over the domestic operation...I started December of 1978 and the call sign was then New Zealand.

The call sign changed on the official date that Air NZ took over all operations..you can google that I guess..it will be early 1978 sometime.

Cheers Stu

Thanks Stu! I figured someone here would have access to a primary source. I did suspect that was the case and that Wiki has incorrect info. Now I can happily set up the call sign. Thanks again.

April 1 '78 was ANZs first day of operation domestically. Last flight was National 434, Welly to Aucks in a 737, Cptn EB Kirk, FO P Kelly, hosties S Gear, M Don & H Skene. Useless information for a Monday night. Have you got The Illustrated History of New Zealand National Airways Corporation 1947-1978? Great book to skim through. Mine is looking a bit second hand...

Cheers

Mike

Archived