Ultra High Def 65" TV - worth getting?

Vonduck

Hi guys,

Just saw my first UHD TV in a store today ..it was though a 50" res at 3840x2160.... better than my 2 x 27" monitors at home! No pixelation at all...even sitting at less than 2 feet form the screen!

It was expensive...does anyone have any comment of they are worth it?

Cheers

Most definitely they are worth getting. Not only for the OLED tech, insanely high resolution, but if placed on a desk you get an amazing sense of immersion particularly if you have some panels and yolk in front of the TV.

Question though: do current GPUs support the HMDI 2.0 standard needed to push 4K signals to these TVs?

Thanks for the input chaps...JV...don't know mate! Will need to investigate that...

As to immersion I see what you mean... I have a 3D HD tv at home *samsung 55") and we thought it was amazing when we first got it... but this UHD TV, well its almost like 3D in 2D mode! Unbelievable realism!  

Most definitely they are worth getting. Not only for the OLED tech, insanely high resolution, but if placed on a desk you get an amazing sense of immersion particularly if you have some panels and yolk in front of the TV.

Question though: do current GPUs support the HMDI 2.0 standard needed to push 4K signals to these TVs?

Thanks John - Yes, I will have to look into this also. I have two Titans so I'll find out more about that side of things.

Cheers,

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

You guys make me sick!! I have a 23" with 3 large scratch on it! :lol:

LOL!

You make me feel like i should donate you one of my unscratched monitors... :-[

Actually... if i dropped $8000NZD on one of these for my monitor...i would be sleeping on the couch for...well...infinitum!! Until i win the family over that is ::)

LOL!

You make me feel like i should donate you one of my unscratched monitors... :-[

Actually... if i dropped $8000NZD on one of these for my monitor...i would be sleeping on the couch for...well...infinitum!! Until i win the family over that is ::)

:lol:  Please do send it...I can pick it up at either CYOW or CYUL to make it easier for you! 8)

Interesting post .. I love PC hardware.

For flight sim I'm currently using one 30" Dell U3011 2560 x 1600 16:10 ratio monitor as opposed to the more modern 16:9 standard, my original thoughts were to go for 3 x 1920 x 1200 LCD's (also the ideal 16:10) but I soon learned my then current GTX570's in SLI doubled up still only gave me 1.3 GB vram usable and were not up to the job.

Now with my single Dell 30" that is many gamers and simmers choice because of its high resolution 2560 x 1600 and 19:10 ratio, vram on my GTX 780 3GB is a bit of a problem at times again ... lord knows what problems a 4k monitor will produce ... but I've seen three screen guys of lower than 1920 x 1200 res have to lower settings accordingly depending on the cards they use.

But if the question was, go for a TV 4K to use as a dedicated monitor too, I might do that with a GTX 870 next year.

To use a current 4K dedicated PC monitor ... be prepared to ask for a bank loan unless you are very rich.

I recently ran my GTX780 through my living room modern 60" TV at 1920 x 1800 with Rise of Flight and it was pixel city for me, no use at all ... all mileage may vary of course, but running normal blu ray films was fine at the right distance.

The prices for 4K are dropping as we speak, its the way of the future for sure.

Archived