PNW Blue Corrupt Scenery

Pil

I have had an issue with the PNW scenery and after three fresh FSX installs and new file downloads from the Flightsim store I have the same issue.  I first install FSX then Acceleration.  I then install FS global 2008 followed by ground environment x.  I then install PNW Blue i believe it is version 1005 then load the latest library files.  When I swith to North America via the control panel everything is fine.  When I switch back to default and run FSX is when the issue starts.

X6kvC.jpg

X6kvC.th.jpg

The airport in those images is KPAE there are also a few others that look like that also like CYEG. I used winrar to unzip the wrapper and also had my antivirus turned off and the UAC is also off. I am running windows 7 64 bit Ultimate edition.  Any help would be appreciated as this is becoming very frustrating.

Thank you for your assistance,

John

My order info is Flightsim store

Order Number: FSS0102018

Order Date: 2011-03-18

Hi John,

Are you saying the issue is once you have reverted to [Default]?

If so the elevation adjustments might not be getting turned off, try right-clicking FTXcentral >> Properties >> Compatibility >> and ensure the checkbox "Run this program as an administrator" is ticked

Hi Tim thank you for your suggestion.  I did change the compatibility to run this as admin but had the same result.  Yes the issue occurs when reverting back to the default.  Any other suggestions ?

Thanks for your help

John

Cant find the post, but I do recall its to do with windows permissions on the FSX folder

To check this right-click on your main FSX folder >> Properties >> Security >> then make sure for all the users that Full Control, Modify, Read and Execute, List Folder Contents, Read, Write all have a tick next to them

Once done you'll need to reboot the PC, and see if it works

Also turn off your antivirus while operating FTXcentral, or 'exclude' the FSX folder from the antivirus completely

Effectively what FTXcentral does is accesses your FSX folder and renames those files to have a .OFF ending (which disables the file from being read by FSX) unfortunately this action is viewed by some antivirus programs and windows security as a threat.

Hi Tim I tried your suggestion but it actually made the problem worse.  Before it was just 6 entries that would be left behind after setting back to default now its all 95 and that is just for PNW I still have 4 or 5 other orbx sceneries that I have not loaded back on yet.  I am running Norton Antivirus but I always disable before running FSX and the exclusions for the FSX folder were made a while back.  Not sure where to go from here.  I appreciate your help.

John

Hmm, not sure how that could be, but the combination of this ownership issue and the NortonAV its obviously affecting the operation of FTXcentral somehow

With all due respect Norton is quite well known for causing headaches for simmers, most folks I know myself use MSE (the free Microsoft AV)

Hi Tim I removed Norton Antivirus and still had the same issue without.  So I decided to do a whole reinstall of Windows 7 with no antivirus installed FSX to my D: drive then loaded ORBX PNW still have the same issue with a clean install.  This has really got my at a loss for words.  Not sure what to think at this point.

John

I have just been speaking to Holger about this, and it is most certainly to do with permissions issues within your windows

When you reinstalled windows did you re-preform all the steps, turning UAC off, setting the FTXcentral icon to 'run as admin' etc?

Hi Tim yes first thing I always do is turn off UAC and I did set all the programs to run as admin.  I even did not install any antivirus or malware programs.  I see Holger is my neighbor living in Sidney.  I live a few minutes away in Victoria.  I made sure that admin and users had full privileges to the FSX folder also.  It seems strange that FTX central will change all the files from off to BGL when I do a fresh install of PNW but will only turn two of them off when I switch to default.  Not sure how that can be a permission issue when it will change it once and partially change them off.  It appears to me like it can access the scenery file just fine,  however I am known to be wrong from time to time.

John

Hi "neighbour" John,

the thing is that all those file renaming actions are handled by the .rgn files in \ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Regions (you can open them in Notepad or Wordpad to read the respective file lists) meaning if one gets properly renamed so should all the others unless an outside influence blocks that process. I assume you've checked that you don't have any duplicate files with both .OFF and .bgl extensions in \Scenery\World\scenery, which would be the only other reason I can think of other than access permission issues.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger I did a quick test with the Southern Alaska scenery and I have no trouble with it all the bgl's  turning on and off with FTX central.  I have left all of my other North America areas out for this test.  So I am not sure if this rules out permission problems.

John

Hi Holger and Tim I have finally figured out what the issue is and I am not sure what the fix is for it.  When I installed southern Alaska I did not install the latest library file.  After I installed it everything stopped working again.  Hope this helps.

John

Hi John,

it seems that your FTX Central is exhibiting the new behavior for FTX Global users, namely that the elevation adjustment files remain active in FTXG "hybrid" mode, which is meant to enable transcontinental flights between our regions. You don't mention FTXG though so I assume you're not using it. It would be interesting to hear from other users without FTXGlobal installed whether their FTX Central exhibits the same behavior.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger no I am not using FTXG.  Is there a fix for the issue or work around.  The only reason I am using the latest libraries is that when you install PNW with service pack 5 you have to have it or FTX Central gives you error messages.  Its a little frustrating to have a few hundred dollars worth of scenery that I am not able to use properly at the moment as I own most of the NA area scenery.

Thank you for your assistance.

John

• 1 month later...

It has been over a month and there has not been any sort of resolution to the issue that I have been having with the NA Orbx scenery.  Is there a way to get a download of the original PNW 1.0 without all of the patches rolled into it.  The issue that I have been having is a result of the last few Orbx library updates which are required to avoid scenery error messages in FTX Central from PNW patch .05.  Whatever library is included in the Southern Alaska area works just fine as soon as I update the library to the latest the issue is back.  It would be nice to be able to use the Orbx scenery as it is a few dollars sitting on my hardrive that is not useable.  Unless there is a fix for this problem that I am not aware of it would be nice to get the original version 1.0 of the scenery areas so I can use them again as I seem to remember up to patch .03 for PNW I had no issues using the scenery.

Thank you for your assistance.

John

Hi John,

just reading this thread and I want to say that I don't have FTXG too but I've the Iceland OFF freeware installed so my FTX central has also the FTX Global icon. I never had problems with PNW or any other ORBX scenery after installing the latest ORBX library.

Maybe you can try Iceland too if it helps?

Spirit

Hi John,

if I understand you correctly the issue is not that our Orbx products don't work correctly while active in FTX Central but that you can't fully revert the PNW coverage area to default state due to the issue with airport elevations?

We don't have a solution for that yet (and older versions of PNW are no longer available) but a work-around would be, after switching FTX Central to Default, to move all "ADE_FTX_{region}_{ICAO}_elevation_adjustment.BGL files, located in \Scenery\World\Scenery, into a temporary holding folder.

Cheers, Holger

Archived