I'd like to be a fly on the wall…

DocBird

… at the offices of Orbx:

They are (among others) the beta-testers for the P3D 2.0 with all its new DX11 capabilities and other big improvements over FSX. JV confirmed it in a post here in the P3D-section (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65210-prepar3d-v-20-in-beta/). 

The list of features is posted in another forum (http://www.simflight.de/2013/09/23/prepar3d-v2-0-ist-in-beta/#comments).

My impression is that the developers are very quiet since a couple of days: Only few posts and no new Preview screenshots. I assume that they all sit in front of their computers with a big smile on their face looking at the new world flight simulation.

Enjoy it Orbx-Team! You have certainly deserved it! 8)

Sounds great but will they ever allow it to be used for entertainment purposes?

As I have stated in the P3D-forum linked above:

I hope that MS will waive its objections since they have finally left the business of flight simulation. So they are no longer a competitor of LM in this field so why should they bother...

But I think we should refrain from any discussion on their licence policy and see what comes across!

IMHO, no they will not.

We are all students of aviation in some way. LM have given us everything we need with the current Eula and have made it very clear with their support of Fsx developers.

For obvious reasons, it will never be on the shelf in GameStop or best buy.

LM are actively encouraging you to use it so why get hung up on being an armchair lawyer?

Things are moving in the right direction for sure, although I'm not sure P3D 2.0 will be a revolution. P3D will remain a tool tailored towards professional users and not casual simmers, hence we will not see P3D transform into FS11 just yet. Still, any improvement is better than no improvement, so hats off to Lockheed Martin.

In the meantime I've bought the Outerra demo (Anterworld) and aerofly FS to support the ongoing development in these two alternative platforms. aerofly FS had so many great features, and I can't wait so see what those guys can do in aerofly FS 2.0 which will be open to external developers!

IMHO, no they will not.

We are all students of aviation in some way. LM have given us everything we need with the current Eula and have made it very clear with their support of Fsx developers.

For obvious reasons, it will never be on the shelf in GameStop or best buy.

LM are actively encouraging you to use it so why get hung up on being an armchair lawyer?

Glenn,

Don't get me wrong. I'm not being an armchair lawyer at all. In fact I would love to one day download a copy and check it out. I guess the only issue is that there are developers out there (one in particular) that develop quality aircraft that simply just don't work in p3d.

I suppose that should it become the new replacement of fsx with all developers producing software for the platform then it's a no brainer.

You can use it to learn and practice flying. You can do this at home, that's pretty legal and nobody will tell you that you don't be allowed to have fun too.

Spirit

Archived