Jeff's Round the World with ORBX (021)

jpreou

Jeff's Round the World with ORBX (021)

Leg 21 - Taipei, Taiwan to Beijing, China

Well, due to illness and family commitments, its been a few days.

I managed to find some time yesterday and today to jump from Taiwan to China. Most of this flight plan is from VOR to VOR. I'm still using the GPS (less management on my part since the A/P will follow the GPS but not the Nav). I am using the Omni guauge as well as a cross-check. I was expecting to run through to Yaoquiang, but was unable to land there and had to continue on to Beijing. More on that later.

Here's my flight plan for the next little portion of my world trip, taking in China, N. Korea, S. Korea and Japan.

5ga2.jpg

I made an early start out of Chiang Kai Shek International (RCTP) and hopped across the ditch.

byng.jpg

r0n1.jpg

3tym.jpg

Approaching China; these cliffs looked more impressive on screen.

4jgq.jpg

South China is actually quite rugged and eventually I was forced to climb to 7500ft to avoid turbulence.

piuw.jpg

My first actual stop after tracking five VORs is into Pudong (ZSPD)

xhzt.jpg

m5q3.jpg

Man, I got up at sparrow-fart and my compatriots still beat me here! What the...?! :wacko:

d4f2.jpg

The following morning I left Pudong heading for Yaoqiang (ZSJN) via the Yancheng and Linyi provinces.

The weather on the way out, frankly, was not good.

1lo3.jpg

This is my first waypoint at Yancheng.

6d2c.jpg

My join into the downwind at Yaoquiang (ZSJN). ATC is telling me the airport is IFR. Looks fine to me ...

c72e.jpg

I should have listened to them! Just about 500ft on finals I hit this! Total whiteout! At first I thought my TrackIR had gone screwy (it does that sometimes if the lighting is wrong), but no; this was obviously the IFR that ATC was talking about. For the first time *ever* I was completely disorientated in FSX with me 'believing' one thing, the view out the window telling me something else, and my instruments telling me yet something else. Honestly, it took a real effort to move to the instruments and get things sorted, and that *really* surprised me! Once I cleared through to 2500ft the view came back again, but by that time I was already following my track to Beijing having decided that Yaoquiang was not the place for me!

ijck.jpg

Ah, Beijing, China's capital. Heading for the airport, the cityscape was inviting even though there is a big area of restricted airspace over there. Ah well "its time to bust the tower!"...

jn8i.jpg

sdiw.jpg

The infamous square..!

ppbh.jpg

But wait, what's this! I'm sharing this restricted airspace with an eagle!

uaqh.jpg

Time to head for Beijing Intl (ZBAA)

m8u5.jpg

u4gf.jpg

Big airport!

slc4.jpg

The view when fuelling back up

myv9.jpg

So that's it. A slightly longer trip than expected. I usually only fly to half tanks in the RV, so I have plenty of diversion capability if I ever need it, and today I did.

As you can see from the plan the next legs take me across to N. Korea and then through S. Korea to Japan. But, looking at my world map, I decided it might be cool to go and check out the Gobi Desert in Mongolia first and then come back down to re-join the original flight plan. Time to dig out the charts and the paperwork and make that happen.

Until next time, thanks for looking.

Archived