Jeff's Round the World with ORBX (003)

jpreou

Leg3 - Norfolk Island to Lord Howe.

As it turns out I could have flown direct Kaitaia to Lord Howe given the endurance of the RV but I still think it is better this way.

Pretty much the whole trip was done on GPS, though the auto-pilot in the RV doesn't actually track the GPS, only heading (at least, I haven't worked out how to do it!). The first couple of hundred miles weren't too bad as I could monitor the outbound radial from the Norfolk VOR, but after that is was just the GPS. Had the GPS failed at any point without having Lord Howe in sight, I would have to turn back to try to pick up that VOR again. As it was, from a fuel perspective I was practically on top of Lord Howe before the point of no return (fuel wise, that is). On this leg I had a ground speed of around 150kt and a cross wind from the left the whole trip of 23 kts, only dropping away as I came in to land.

A dawn start this morning in good weather (and why would I have left in anything but?!)

kdrq.jpg

ykqo.jpg

wijl.jpg

9u1m.jpg

t9zs.jpg

Finally, I spot Lord Howe in the distance and the pressure eases a little.

4h6e.jpg

xnfo.jpg

w56a.jpg

b7tc.jpg

6jpw.jpg

ewrd.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Great shots, may I ask were you got your plane from, and is it available?

That would be the Baytower Vans RV-7 / 7A from http://www.baytower.ca/

There's a purchase link on the website (from Flight1) and the plane is great but the registration / license side of things is annoying if you ever need to re-install (hint: keep the original download, not just the file that gets extracted from it!)

I also enjoy the Vertigo Studios Vans RV-8 / 8A

I bought the RV8 because I was once building one before it became a casualty of a marital separation.  (www.vansaircraft.com)

I bought the RV7 because if I ever get the chance again, that is my current choice (mostly 'cos my new wife insists on sitting beside me instead of behind me!)

Cheers

Hi Mate,

Thanks for that, my friend and neighbour also built an RV (not sure what model) and still fly's it out of Wickenby Airport in Lincolnshire UK, (an old bomber base from WW2)!

Good luck in any future flying you may do, and thanks.

Mal...

Sweet! If I'm honest, I prefer the Vertigo Studios RV-8. Slightly better performance and better visibility from the tandem / centerline seating.

Like I said, I fly the -7 since if I build again and can afford one, that would be my current bird of choice. Big if, but you need dreams :)

Enjoy the -7

Archived