Is this a good move?

cyberpilot

Got a new pc recently to take full advantage of FTX and REX.

The specs are: Intel quad core Q9550, 12mb L2 cache, 1333MHz FSB-45NS system, Intel EP45gb mobo, 500 gb SATA 2 7200rpm HDD, 512mb ASUS 4870 DDR5 PCI E graphics card, [2x4] 8gb 800 MHz DDR11 ram, 24inch lcd monitor, screen resolution 1920x1200x32, Vista 64.

FSX runs very nicely (apart from some occasional micro stutters) with most sliders pretty much to the right, autogen dense and frame rates unlimited.

Haven't done any tweaks and I'm getting fps from low 20s in places like Coffs to 60s plus in areas with low autogen.

YMML is another story, of course, and I'm down to 10/12 there.

Now here's the rub.

Being a perfectionist I have since decided to lash out on a GTX 280 gpu, thinking that this would be the icing on the cake.

Read some really good reviews and thought it would make a significant improvement, notwithstanding the cost.

However, I have since come across some pretty critical comments on the 280 which say, in essence, that while it's the top card for most games it is no better (if not worse) than the 8800 GTX for FSX and is not worth the money.

It seems much hinges on what drivers you get for it.

So....the question is: have I made a costly decision that I'm about to regret?

Will the GTX 280 make any significant improvement on my system to my enjoyment of FSX, FTX and REX?

It's due to be installed in the next day or two and I'm getting very nervous!

Please don't spare my feelings ... tell me straight whether this is a bad move or not.

Thanks.

Frank 

Guest cirrusnature

I'm thinking of replacing my 8800GTX with the GTX260/Core216 or the 280 myself. Be interesting to see what sort of reply you'll get.

Hi Frank,

I had a 8800GTX with an EP35 Gygabite Mobo, E6600 cpu; and upgraded to a GTX280 (when they first came out) with an EP45 Gygabite board and an E8500 cpu, and had a significant improvement in smoothness and FPS.

Since then I have put in an ASUS Striker Formula II board with an E8600 cpu and the same GTX280 and it is exceptionally smooth - with FPS a steady 26 over capital cities (ML,BN,SY), but have not reloaded ORBX ML yet to see how it handles it. I've also been experimenting with two GTX280's in SLI in another machine with a Q9550, running three 22" LCD's. None of these cpu's have been OC'd

Can't say how the 280's compare with a 4870, but I'm very happy with their performance in my rigs so far, and will certainly be using 280's when I upgrade. One of their attractions for me is that they run very cool as well as perform .    ;)

Frank,

Just yesterday,after a fresh install of FSX and rebuild of FTX stuff on my HDD, I installed a new GTX 260 in my system, replacing my venerable 8800 Ultra. My CPU is a Q9450, very close to your CPU, and along with the 8800 I had enjoyed pretty much the exact same performance and smoothness that you have with your current system. That said, with the GTX 260 in, it did improve results on my system noticeably. FPS at YMML is still in the teens, but if the actual main terminal structure at YMML is not in my view then my FPS jumps up into the high 20's around the rest of YMML. Over Melbourne and other largecityscapes, my FPS jumps to the low 30's. When leaving large cities and beyond, my FPS jumps up into the 50's and above. Now those frames were with no weather in a default FSX Cessna, with my FSX settings sliders just about exactly as Orbx suggests in the YMML and YSCH manuals. Further, I have applied the same tweaks to the FSX.CFG as suggested in the Tips and Tweaks sticky post in these here forums. I run FSX on a 22" widescreen monitor, in 1600x1050 resolution.

Next, I tried stressing my system some more. I then tried the same flights, in the same locations, with the same default Cessna BUT with a severe thunderstorm in place. This had the effect of dropping FPS around YMML into the lower teens, over large cities into the low twenties, and beyond that it did not effect it enough to notice. I then tried the same exact setup, with no weather, but instead of the default Cessna, I loaded up Captain Sim's C130X v 1.3. For those that don't know, that aircraft puts a fair amount of stress on the system. The results were similiar to the thunderstorm effects as far as FPS goes.

I did NOT yet see what effects would be with the same setup as above, with the C130 AND a thunderstorm (it was getting late). With the 8800 Ultra, a C130 flight out of YMML was not possible on my system, using the same FSX settings as above.

To sum up, my personal testing on my system shows that the GTX 260 definately improved things for me. I get better FPS, my flights appear much smoother, and of special note, the graphics LOOK better (sharper images, and more vibrant colors). Also of note is my card is an EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked edition. Using the EVGA Precision software that works with all EVGA cards, and comes shipped with this card, I have O/C'd the card a little bit, with lots of room to spare. The Precision software is exceptionally simple to use. The FPS readouts I used as references above are from the Precision sofware, NOT the FSX FPS readings, which are inaccurate. I

If I can offer up any more info for you, please ask. I am definately happy with this card!

Greets,

Landon

Archived