Need advice on new HDD

Ryan Mason

Hey guys, due to a downturn in finances lately (good old US economy!) I am not going to be able to upgrade my whole computer so I am looking at getting 2x7200 rpm 160GB HDD to put in Raid 0 plus going to 4gb memory and vista 64 bit, its not the best option but it will have to do for now, I am a total novice on these things and wanted to know if this was an ok drive for my gateway FX - P171 model laptop (1.83 Ghz, 3GB ram T555 core 2 duo) as I wouldnt know the first thing about what is compatible and what is not.  I am also looking at getting someone to try and overclock the CPU as far as it can go being stable, maybe 2.4 Ghz? So could someone tell me if this is the one(s) I need?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152129

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

AC

Hi Ryan,

O'clocking a laptop is a bit of a dead road, for the very simple reason that cooling the thing is problem numero uno, I know there are sort of docking stations for laptops that "allegedly" provide extra cooling but can't tell if that is wise, putting in two extra HDD's in RAID 0 would bring a bit of speed to the read/write capability of the system, as for Vista 64 I do not know how that plays out with your current CPU.

Most Lap Tops you can't have more than one HD internally as there just isn't room.

Besides this RAID0 is not much faster than a single drive and has NO redundancy as the term RAID name suggests.

External for backup and a decent internal drive is IMHO your best option. Never run programs from a USB Drive either as the USB Port is just too bloody slow for live program execution end of story.

With Notebook Drives they get bloody hot the faster they run, other than loading I see absolutely NO advantage in any drive faster than 7200.

I'd just get a 500 Gb unit and back it up regularly with Acronis or GHOST or similar to an external Backup drive.

As you know I'm not and have never been a fan of overclocking, even more so with a Laptop get a faster Processor to start with is my advice.

must concurr with the Mozzmann,

when you can get that 2nd HDD in there, I'd say move fsX to it or do a complete fresh install of it and clean out your C drive to bare essentials, this will allow the OS to run faster~smoother and with sitting fsX on it's own Harddrive will suffer from the same improvement ;D

update, I may have found a place that can upgrade my chip from a T5550 to a T9300 which should at least put me somewhere around 2.4-3.0 GHz which with the upgrade to 64 bit and 4gb of ram should at least make some improvement.

Well the second HDD is only $50 so I guess I cant complain about the price and maybe making it the FSX only drive will help but how will that benefit me in speed if both are still running off the same slow a** processor?

Warning Will Robinson!  If the laptop's RAID is software based (like the Intel software-RAID on my Dell), then you may want to avoid Vista64 and RAID.  I installed V64 + s/w RAID and it completely foo-barred my FSX installation during a commercial demo. Could not have been worse timing. I went back to XP Pro SP3 and FSX sitting on a seperate 200GB 7200RPM HD on its own. Has been rock solid since.

Thanks for the feedback John, I am thinking I will use the other HDD as just a separate FSX drive, my only question with that is, isnt FSX C drive bound? I thought I read somewhere here of people having problems if FSX was on a dedicated drive other than C? I thought it was a FSX.cfg issue that was the main problem?

Archived