Bug found in airport installer (replaces PNW files with old versions)

JimmiG

So I'm re-installing everything after building a new system, and I had some problems.

After installing all my FTX airports and scenery, I had weird problems at some airports - these were all related to exclusions, flattens etc. I managed to fix my problems at Diamond Point/Olympic Field by re-installing FTX PNW, but this instead messed up S45 and 74S (bumps, flickering textures etc.).

So I went to find the root of the problem. I re-installed P3D from scratch (I don't know if this problem applies to FSX but I guess it does) and installed all landscape addons. Then I installed everything carefully, one airport at a time.

After these airports were installed without seeing any problems, I made a complete backup of the P3D folder:

2WA1

S45

74S

OS9

1S2

1WA6

3W5

At this point, WA45 looked good:

olympic.jpg

I then installed the rest:

CZST

KBVS

KCMW

KORS

PAKT

W52

WA56

WA79

OG39

2W3

KSFF

77S

Now my flatten problems at WA45 was back! One of the above airports messed it up. Unfortunately, I don't know which one, since I didn't check between each (I thought the problem was solved by starting again from scratch).

wa45.jpg

However, a WinDiff between the OrbX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW* folders of the backup with only the first 7 airports installed (and without flatten issues) and my now broken installation (with the second batch of airports above also installed) shows this:

failedy.gif

As you can see, lots of files were replaced with older versions during the course of installing the second batch of airports. Some were actually replaced with newer versions.

I immediately suspected cvx_FTX_PNW_airfields_and_flattens_WA.BGL, so I copied the more recent version from my backup back to my now broken installation:

copylb.gif

Voila! WA45 looked normal once again. As you can see, the correct file is from 2012-03-27. One of the airport installers in the "second batch" above, copied an older version from 2011-04-19 back into my FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX\Scenery folder. The same (or another) installer also replaced a number of other important PNW files with older versions.

These were all freshly downloaded installers from The Flightsim Store. I don't even know why the airport installers are touching the PNW base scenery folder. If they do, shouldn't that be included in the FTX Libraries or rolled into a PNW Service Pack, so you always have the latest version of the files, regardless of the order in which you install your FTX airports?

Hi Jimmi,

good bit of sleuthing. We try to avoid altering core PNW files in any airport add-on packages for that very reason but in a few cases we couldn't provide an updated PNW service pack at the same time as an airport was ready to be released. There's a simple fix though: if any issues like yours appear, re-install the current region service pack over the top of your region and airport add-ons. For example, the "cvx_FTX_PNW_airfields_and_flattens_WA.BGL" you mention is included in PNW SP5 in its correct version.

Cheers, Holger

Unfortunately, I found the PNW SP5 was only available as an FSX installer, not as a native P3D installer. Re-installing the entire PNW package with SP5 integrated on top of all the airports etc, as I said, seemed to mess up some locations while fixing others.

My solution is to just keep the "pure" FTX PNW SP5 folders as a backup, and do a Windiff to find and replace any outdated files. I have now combined the most recent files from both folders above, and checked the majority of FTX airports I have installed. Everything looks fine now :) I do wish this was documented better, though. Would have saved me one day of frustration and hair-pulling  ;D

Archived