FSX landclass battle

domfliss

Thanks for a very telling review  I've little doubt that an OrbX scenery does a good job but FTX-G actually brings up another issue : which product is better where there's no OrbX scenery.

The TrueLandscape/UTX + FTX-G comparison, for France was very interesting for that matter. But what about some forsaken (not by me :) ) places like PNG or the Solomons, the Aegean islands or the Middle East . Away from my gear for a few months I will follow with interest any feedback on Cloud9 vs Scenerytech .

I have got to ask.What is the go with Caps? is it a sign of arrogance or something,I personally do not care but I am not that up there with Computer politeness if that is the obvious point! And remember please be un arrogant in your response if you can help yourself

Hi Spok

Caps in computer speak indicates shouting and is considered impolite.

Obviously, in the interests of good English grammar you can use them as I've done here.

John

Unsurprisingly, the dedicated FTX England regional scenery looks far more accurate than everything else except photographic scenery.

This comparison also shows why I'm not that excited about FTX Global. Yes, the textures are pretty, but without a good landclass to tell the sim which textures to place where, it will be just as inaccurate as default scenery. So that farmland you see in the sim where there's a supposed to be a medium sized town will look pretty, but the town will still be missing.

I really hope FTX Global won't mean the end of more accurate FTX regions, which are the only ones accurate enough to enjoy low and slow VFR flights, IMO.

Unsurprisingly, the dedicated FTX England regional scenery looks far more accurate than everything else except photographic scenery.

This comparison also shows why I'm not that excited about FTX Global. Yes, the textures are pretty, but without a good landclass to tell the sim which textures to place where, it will be just as inaccurate as default scenery. So that farmland you see in the sim where there's a supposed to be a medium sized town will look pretty, but the town will still be missing.

I really hope FTX Global won't mean the end of more accurate FTX regions, which are the only ones accurate enough to enjoy low and slow VFR flights, IMO.

Let's see it a more positive way ;) , it may encourage renewed efforts to make new landclass products or improving existing ones. They are sorely missing from the FSX landscape (pun intended) for certain (a lot of) regions. And anyway, FTX will never, or let's say in a very long time, cover the whole world (today PNW, tomorrow THE WORLD :D )

Let's see it a more positive way ;) , it may encourage renewed efforts to make new landclass products or improving existing ones. They are sorely missing from the FSX landscape (pun intended) for certain (a lot of) regions. And anyway, FTX will never, or let's say in a very long time, cover the whole world (today PNW, tomorrow THE WORLD :D )

Possibly. The thing is, these large-scale landclass products use mostly automated procedures for converting raw data into FSX landclass. The FTX regions have a lot of manual adjustments and corrections, that just wouldn't be possible in a large-scale product covering an entire continent or more.

A landclass tile is always a 1x1 km square. This makes it impossible to accurately re-create the shape of a city or neighborhood. it will always be one or more 1x1km square. With FTX regions, many cities have been manually "drawn" as polygons to accurately depict the actual shape of the city. For example, the edge of the city might be defined by a river, but with regular landclass, that river might cut through a 1x1km square, causing the city to continue on the other side of the river.

Absolutely right. Technically.  But you're not gonna see these handcrafted Orbx sceneries for every region, aren't you ? So even a coarse landclass + FTXG should be better than the default anytime. Case in point was the first FSGenesis landclass (landclass not mesh) for the CONUS in FS9 (or was it for 2002, I dont' remember, ?) . It was not perfect by any stretch but shaza'am !  the flying experience was magically different. 

So coming back to the OP review, it is a fairly good idea to compare C9 and SceneryTech.

I have got to ask.What is the go with Caps? is it a sign of arrogance or something,I personally do not care but I am not that up there with Computer politeness if that is the obvious point! And remember please be un arrogant in your response if you can help yourself

Hi Spok,

You know, I was on the iPad and just highlighted the text from the title in the review and copied and pasted it.

http://simmerhead.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/review-fsx-landclass-battle/

I did it quickly otherwise I would have forgotten to post it; LOL.

Guess it's the price one pays :D 

Dom 

Archived