DX10

teecee

Will DirectX 10 be available for Windows XP?

No. Windows Vista, which has DirectX 10, includes an updated DirectX runtime based on the runtime in Windows XP SP2 (DirectX 9.0c) with changes to work with the new Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) and the new audio driver stack, and with other updates in the operating system. In addition to Direct3D 9, Windows Vista supports two new interfaces when the correct video hardware and drivers are present: Direct3D9Ex and Direct3D10.

Since these new interfaces rely on the WDDM technology, they will never be available on earlier versions of Windows. All the other changes made to DirectX technologies for Windows Vista are also specific to the new version of Windows. The name DirectX 10 is misleading in that many technologies shipping in the DirectX SDK (XACT, XINPUT, D3DX) are not encompassed by this version number. So, referring to the version number of the DirectX runtime as a whole has lost much of its meaning, even for 9.0c. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool (DXdiag.exe) on Windows Vista does report DirectX 10, but this really only refers to Direct3D 10.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb219721.aspx#Will_DirectX_10_be_available_for_Windows_XP

The guy at this site started a project attempting to make DX10 under XP possible, but it was too much work in the end.  they did release some binaries I think....

http://alkyproject.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Matt.

DX10 preview is as far as I know Vista, apart from that fsX was build as an DX9 application, so forcing DX10 on it will have as effect a total drain on the FPS and secondly a lot of stuff within fsX will not display properly, conclusion waste of time and energy.

Also the so called claimed "compatabillity patch" for making fsX to work with DX10 is a nice fairy tale, be carfefull that you do not "import" stuff on your system that could bite you in the end.

The DX10 check box only appears in Vista with a DX10 GPU and SP2, and it does perform better than DX9.  Phil Taylor was saying a 17% gain with equal feature sets, and you can enable light bloom with very little impact.  It took them a several months to bring up the geometry and pixel pipelines under DX10.  There's a lot of poeple that use DX10 mode exclusively now.  As long as your specific add ons work I see no reason not to use it.  Most reputable devs are making them DX10 campatible now.

SO, no DX10 fo rFX?? oh well, I am hoping that the 8800 GTS will bring the textures to light, I am putting one in this weekend.

I have to say here that the Tech support at Carenado has been wonderful, I have driven them almost to the verge on insanity over this issue, and they have remained calm and helpfull all the way through it.. Great company, great staff. Thanks fellas. Teecee.

Without bloom and lower water settings the FPS are quiet similar to DX9. DX10 has an noticeable advantage with very high water and bloom on. The only thing holding me back to use it, is that vsync and AA don't work at all (yet ?). Well, the latest nHancer might be able to tackle this issues. I'll try it this evening. It would be nice because the colors are more vibrant with DX10.

you wanna know something funny ? 

DX10 files are contained in the directX runtime file download and will of seem to run within XP Pro I've yet to see any significant difference in any vission but the files were copied as part of the update (this of course doesn't meant they are actually employed)

you cannot use dx10 preview on XP as XP doesn't support DX10...

For DX10 preview mode in FSX you need VISTA, and DX10 compatible hardware. Then FSX will work in DX10 mode.

Now in DX10 mode on VISTA I have issues with my ATI card doing Vsync because I believe that it has to be called by the application (FSX) which doesn't since sp2..

This is Fixed by using a utility called D3DOverrider. with this on I can force Vsync and triple buffering in DX10.

Hi, I'm new to writing in forums, so bear with me please.

Talking about DX 10, and using it in fsx, has any one used open GL, of late?    It seems better for Nvidia cards.

I always use it in preference to DX 9.

Open GL is capable of showing excellent water in Ill Sturmovic forgotten battles, good waves, crystal clear on the shores, and surf to boot, and that was 4 years ago!

Can DX 10 do the same in VISTA?

If so please post a picture, and I'll upgrade.

I'm a candy nut, and FTX has made my day, but if there is more, I can't wait.

Cheers Birks.

Hi, I'm new to writing in forums, so bear with me please.

Talking about DX 10, and using it in fsx, has any one used open GL, of late?    It seems better for Nvidia cards.

I always use it in preference to DX 9.

Open GL is capable of showing excellent water in Ill Sturmovic forgotten battles, good waves, crystal clear on the shores, and surf to boot, and that was 4 years ago!

Can DX 10 do the same in VISTA?

If so please post a picture, and I'll upgrade.

I'm a candy nut, and FTX has made my day, but if there is more, I can't wait.

Cheers Birks.

hi, FSX was written for DX9 then DX10 later, as such open GL is not an option. I agree OpenGL looks far better in il2. However it's not an option in FSX.

There was this post on the simflight forums: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=230&t=73096&p=451568&hilit=dx10#p451568 where it was postulated that there was software (from a Russian site) that could be installed in WINXP to give the appearnce of DX10.  [CAUTION: But read Wolter's post above first.]  I dl the file but was too chicken to try it out. Some people said it worked others saw no change.

PeterH

And yet, just to throw a spanner in the works,

I have DX10 on my system, because on a performance basis, i get much smoother flying out of it, than DX9. The latter for me is a slideshow, no matter what setting i use.

Ever since installing my OC 8800GTX, DX9 is horriffic.. (stark contrast to my old card, 8800GS where the situation was reversed). So as much as I have beautiful colours, and water, and yadda yadda yadda...i've had to buy a DX10 compatiable AI pack, and my older aircraft are hangered.........

Can't Win....

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few observations and questions re DX10. 

Had a bit of a play with the "preview" mode. I had been having a small problem with my Saitek Yoke resetting the time mode occasionally - sent it back for checkup - they cleared it, and put it down to a small incompatibility problem with the drivers, vista 64, mobo etc etc maybe ...maybe ...maybe - all very inconclusive.

HOWEVER, with DX10 activated, the problem goes away, and Saitek all works perfectly!! This is well and good, and the sim seems to run slightly better (FPS & smoothness) ... BUT, there seems to be a complete absence of FS9 generated textures to load - which leads to all my Carenado patched FS9 models (numerous) to be textureless, and most of the FTXAU Traffic to present as grey/white ghosts. All the FSX stuff works a treat and runs really well.

Is there anything that can be done to get these textures working ( I suspect not, unfortunately) ?

Alternatively, any thoughts on what is present in DX9, (that is absent in DX10)  that would interfere with the operation of the yoke?? Would there be a workaround??

My system is : Striker II NSE, Q9550, 9800GX2 1GB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 850 PSU, Vista 64 HP.

Cheers guys, and have a great Christmas.

Archived