Corrupted terrain.cfg?

MarkH

I am hoping this is not a catastrophe.

(1) I just had a computer crash while running FTX Central. When I first ran FTX Central after that I got an error saying that something (I know, I didn't write it down) could not be opened because another process was accessing it. Trying again, I now get the error 'terrain.cfg has no [LandClasses] section'. I found a terrain.cfg in ...Scripts/FTX Central/Work but it appears to be empty (actually it appears to have a lot of white space characters in it rather than any text).

(2) Further to this, when I try to run FSX, it will not start and gives me an error saying that FSX must have a valid scenery.cfg file to run, and that I should uninstall and reinstall FSX. There is a scenery.cfg in the FSX folder, and it appears to contain sensible-looking text.

(3) Finally, I checked the file system on my FSX drive and there were no errors.

Before I do anything stupid (like reinstall FSX), is this likely to be something just Orbx-related that I can fix by reinstalling something simple?

Hi Mark,

sorry to hear about your predicament. It does sound like some of your FSX files got corrupted during the crash but if it's limited to terrain.cfg and scenery.cfg you should be able to recover without a reinstallation.

The terrain.cfg file in \ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work is a backup of the FSX default version. Not sure why it doesn't display properly for you but you should be able to open it in Wordpad or Notepad and see its content. I would suggest making a backup of the current terrain.cfg in your FSX folder and then replacing it with a copy of the default backup. Then run FTX Central and the FTX block of entries will automatically get reinserted. If you have other add-ons that also add to terrain.cfg, like UTX, Tongass X, VancouverPlus, VictoriaPlus, etc., you'll need to run their respective setup tools or repair options as well.

The scenery.cfg file in the main FSX folder isn't the active version but rather an internal FSX backup. The active version resides in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX. Check whether that folder perhaps contains a backup generated by another add-on that you can use to replace the corrupt file. Otherwise you'll need to start with a copy of the default backup in the FSX folder and then re-insert all your third-party scenery entries. FTX Central will do this automatically and other add-ons' configurator tools may too, otherwise you'll need to do it manually via the scenery library menu.

Good luck and feel free to ask specific questions.

Cheers, Holger

I will have to add back my EU stuff to the library but I should be able to figure that out.

Woo, didn't even have to do that! I just restored the scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg as suggested, and that sorted things out.

• 2 months later...

This morning at our FlightSim Club in the Seniors Centre, we had exactly the same occurrence.  Both the scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg files were cleaned out. Did a system restore and managed to recover the scenery.cfg but not the terrain.cfg, so will try the solutions mentioned here and also take my own file along and see if that works..

Three days ago I installed Scotland, ScotlandX, Tipella and Tongass Fjords on the Club's computer.  Everything working okay this morning flying around Scotland, then went to FTXCentral, changed to North America, and computer froze when FTXCentral was reconfiguring.  Had to switch off computer then found these problems.

Will keep you posted

Nigel

Vancouver

Hi Holger

When we left the FlightSim Club last Friday, we had inserted a downloaded modified terrain.cfg file (by Richard Ludowise and Luis Feliz-Tirado) into the FSX root directory, but FSX was still not booting up correctly, with no sea showing only land.

Sunday I went back to the Club computer but before I booted up FSX, I switched several times between North America and Europe in FTXCentral, as someone on the ORBx forum had done.  It booted up perfectly with all shorelines showing.

I then replaced the terrain.cfg file with my own copy, since it incorporates entries for my various sceneries, and most of the sceneries on the Club computer are the same as mine. It  seems to be working fine now.

However, what caused the problem in the first place – any ideas?

Nigel

Vancouver

Hi Nigel,

not sure why FTX Central froze but it had probably something to do with the issue that affected scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg.

The modified default terrain.cfg doesn't have any of the custom entries required by FTX, UTX, VancouverPlus, and others. Thus, when starting from it (or any other default version) you'll always need to cycle FTXCentral at least once, run the UTX Setup panels, and run a repair of VancouverPlus to get those custom entries properly re-inserted. Or, as you've done, use an existing backup copy that already contains those additional entries (note: any superfluous entries will be ignored).

Cheers, Holger

Archived