Playing FSX from External Hard Drive

damian01

Not in a satisfactory manner. If you have an eSata or USB 3 HDD you may be able to keep some types of scenery on it without too much of a speed penalty. USB 3 is just slightly faster than eSata but not faster enough to give any marked difference. Too slow for Photo Scenery tiles to load without stutters.

Bottom line certainly not recommended. You would do better adding another internal HDD or increasing the size of your current drive if their is no room for an extra unit. 2TB Seagate Barracudas are quite cheap now. WD Caviar Blacks are faster...just...but more costly.

On a personal level I cant speak too highly of WD CBs, I have nine of them over several machines as extra drives.

HHhiHiHi Arnie, thankyou for the advise I'l look at getting another internal HDD. Also as i'm still quiet new to the FSX scene, what is the best type of PC to have in order to get the most out of the FTX add ons? Damian Thankyou for the advise

On a personal level I cant speak too highly of WD CBs, I have nine of them over several machines as extra drives.

Hello

Can I just clarify what you mean here?

I assume since you have nine of them (my HDD of choice too I have a good few) you like them; do you mean you can't speak highly enough or you actually do mean you can't speak too highly?

I ask because I hope I am not bottle-necking my system - If you know anything I don't please could you elaborate?

Thanks in Advance?

eSata == Sata2 (i.e. 3Gbps headline speed). USB has protocol overheads that would reduce your throughput somewhat. Thus an external eSata drive should be fine, I'd stay well clear of a USB 2 drive and very cautious of USB3 drives.

I'd deftinatley want the fastest speed HDD for any high HDD use application like FSX. Some of those texture files are huge and will lag if the HDD isn't fast enough to load them. FSX scenery files (Especially Orbx ones) will require a very fast HDD to push the textures through to the Video card and ultimatley your screen. A USB HDD is somewhat slower than an internal one. Most PC's can hold at least 2 HDD's internally. I'd get a good large HDD to put FSX on, and leave the Operating System on the other disk.

If you do any video editing, I'd leave the USB External drives for that kind of thing.

Archived