Power Supply

Joshua_Stone

Hi guys, this christmas im thinking of buying a new rig and specing it up a little to run the upcoming release of YPJT. The kit im looking at is as follows.

Processor:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU, 3.0 GHz, FSB 1333MHz, 6MB L2 Cache, Socket LGA775

Motherboard:

All in One MB, ATA133, DDR*2, PCIE16X*1, PCI*2, 100Mbps LAN, USB 2.0*6, PS/2*2, Serial*1.

Video Card:

256MB 3D Video Display (Shared Memory, Integrated)

Sound:

3D sound integrated AC'97

Memory:

1GB DDR2 PC5300(667MHz)

Case:

ATX Midi Tower 350w PSU

Im planning of buying a sound card, faster ram (DDR 800 3GIG), graphics card (GTX280 or 8800GT). Im planning of having a huge hard-drive for music pictures movies, etc. and the other for FS XP only.

The question i ask is is the 350W powerful enough to run all this, and will the motherboard take PCI-E2 16x?

thanks

Josh  :)

The question i ask is is the 350W powerful enough to run all this

Simple answer: NO!

and will the motherboard take PCI-E2 16x

By the looks of this:

PCIE16X*1

I would say no. if the * means PCIE16X times 1, then it looks like the mobo only have one single PCIE slot and from what information you have given I can't say for sure if it is PCI-E2 or 1

interesting NO statement

I have a 350W power supply and I run

Intel Duo 8400

P35 mainboard

4GB DDR-800 (4x1GB)

3 HDD

1 x DVD RW

12cm FAN to cool the drives, and the usual fans on the MB.

9600GT

all  6 USB2 ports populated.

What issues should I be expecting?

The video card is the main draw, and you have a relatively weak one.  If you have no issues then your power supply is fine.  On the other hand a GTX260 is said by nvidia to pull up to 185 watts its self, and a GTX 280 240 watts.  A highly overclocked card could be higher.  Your 9600GT consumes a maximum of 95 watts. 

@ Josh, I would get a GTX 260 as a bare minimum on a new system build, as that's where the best performance per dollar is.   I've got a the GTX260 with 216 shaders, and with my overlock it beats the performance of a stock GTX280.

Gurdy the 350 Watt would I suspect be on the top edge of what it is capable of as far as good regulation/Load goes , I make t a policy to never fit a PSU that isn't capable of at least 30% above to nominal load for a PC I'm building for a client so this will allow some expansion without placing the PSU under sufficient load that the temperatures start to rise excessively.

Having plenty of airflow is good but don't forget if the PSU is running within %5 say of it's design limits then it could fail rapidly prematurely.

Antec makes the best power supplies, so I would stick with them if you want the best, though you will pay more.  If you want one at a better price BFG makes some nice ones.  Personally I would get an Antec True Power Trio 550 (TP3-550) at a minimum, though I use the TP3-650 myself.  These will have the 20pin + 4pin for modern motherboards as well has 2 6pin connectors for the GTX 260 you are looking at.

OK.. i think I will be looking to get a new PSU myself. Reccomendations guys? Value for money  :D

Hi Gurdy, there's a couple of things I noticed when upgrading two PSU's recently which may be worth thinking about -

First - there are some available now which have plug in leads so you don't end up with heaps of superfluous cable inside the case to interfere with air flow, and

Second - it seems that as you go from 650W up there is a change from providing a four pin secondary power lead to an eight pin secondary which is provided for on hungrier mobos - eg my ASUS Striker formula II board has an eight pin secondary power plug, but my spare 650W PSU which I intend to fit to it only has a four pin supply available (in addition to the main 24 pin source of course) so will only be filling four of the holes (which is provided for by ASUS with a removable plastic blanking cap).  I don't know how significant this is - maybe Mozz or another of our well informed sources will be able to cast more light on it.  ;) 

Value for money - my last three have been Coolermaster which have been reliable and not too exxy.

Complete System

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 CPU

GA EP45 DS3 Pro Motherboard with Heatpipe

4G DDR II Kingston PC6400 800 MHz

2 x 750G HDD Samsung SATA II with 32mb Cache

Geforce GTX 280 PCI Express

Case 220mm Side fan 650W Power and USB in front

Logitech Ps II Keyboard and Ps II Wheel Mouse

22" LG 2252TQ 2ms 10K:1 LCD Monitor

20 Speed DVD RW LG or Pioneer

Built in Gigabit LAN, 12 Port USB 2.0, 8 Channel Audio Firewire

Windows® Vista™ Home Premium SP1

System includes  2yr parts  5yr labour limited  RTB warranty

Option:  upgrade to 3yr on site warranty for extra  $99.00

Includes:

On -Site Repair

Nation Wide Coverage

Parts & Labour Covered

No Repair Bills

Freight to WA about $130.00 includes GST and Insurance

All up $2,503

Shop around for the best prices Joshua.

upgrade to 3yr on site warranty for extra  $99.00

Freight to WA

All up $2,503

the price includes the freight and the onsite warranty.  you can also just purchase the tower if you already have a monitor and stuff.

Archived