New User Support Issue

robertg102

Order Number 473022 / FSPilotshop (March 12th, 2013)

I'm a new user and just installed FSX and ORBX Canada Northwest V1.0. FSX runs fine but does not recognize ORBX when I search for "Add On Scenery". I assume that's where the ORBX files would be visible. I have installed both FSX and ORBX in the default directories and only have one HD in my system.

Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Orbx does not use the addon scenery folder.. it has it's own folder.. neither does it need to be "activated", once installed it should run... if you are not seeing the scenery you must be doing something wrong.. I am not on the team, so one of them will be able to help you further.Teecee.

It looks like you're still at the default FTX settings. Hopefully you didn't try to manually add in any of the Orbx folders in the FTX scenery library. One of the items installed, in an "Orbx" folder in your Start Menu, as well as on your desktop (an option IIRC), is a program called "FTX Central". Open it and you'll see a "Default" choice and a "North America" choice. Choose "North America" and then "Apply" to load the correct folders mentioned by teecee. You do NOT check or un-check folders in the FSX scenery library to "active" the scenery. There's way too many. BTW, if you're flying outside the Orbx scenery area, use FTX Central to switch back to "Default" which has the effect of removing all the Orbx libraries out of the FTX scenery library. Otherwise, you'll probably have some issues when you fly outside the Orbx area.

Thank you so much for your help on this. I've waited a long time to get to this point and am frustrated that I can't get ORBX working. When installing both FSX and ORBX NA, I just used the default settings when loading both programs. Here's a list of things that are happening:

1) I did check "North America" and then "Apply"

2) I can see the 4 or 5 ORBX Weather options in FSX Free Flight / Weather Tab which tells me that ORBX did properly install

3) I did move the 4 or 5 ORBX files in FSX Settings - Scenery Library tab to the top of the Layers thinking that might have been the issue. Should I move those back to the bottom of the list?

4) Once ORBX is installed, what's the proper protocol for getting to the ORBX NA Scenery? Maybe that's my issue. I was assuming that when in Free Flight, you would choose the "Add On Scenery" instead "Search Defalut Scenery" option under the "Current Location" tab. When I click on "Search Add On Scenery", I don't see any of the ORBX files or options. Is that the correct way to open ORBX? Maybe that's my problem.

Is there any type of FAQ, outside of the manual that I can reference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Robert,

welcome to Orbx!

Actually, there's nothing for you to do once you have installed PNW or any other Orbx product. Assuming that the installation was successful -- and it sounds that was the case -- there should be five FTX entries in your scenery library menu. Each time you run FTX Central it will check for their presence and correct order. By default those entries should be at the top of the menu list but you can change that, if you have other add-ons that require to be at higher display priority, with the insertion point tool described in the PNW manual and here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/28291-adding-a-scenery-library-insertion-point-ftxcentral-step-by-step/

Other than that it's just a matter to familiarize yourself with the extent of the PNW coverage area and then pick an airport and day/time to go flying. Since our regions fully replace the default landscape the difference should be very apparent right away.

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger. Many thanks for your help with this. I'll double check everything you've suggested. In the meantime, could you please reccomend a good default airport in PNW that I could use as a starting point please sir? Perhaps that's been my problem all along.

Hello Holger: I did what you suggested and everything worked perfectly. The supporting documentation was a huge help, especially the screen shots. As a newbie, including that documentation, along with the original user manual, would be very helpful for future newbie's in my opionion.

Great product and great support! Thanks to the others that chimed in as well!

Archived