Cliffs on the runway

kenthom

When I fly into Billings (KBIL) in the Central Rockies at dusk or night I find mountain cliffs placed all around the airport area. The airport sits on a plateau. It is fine in the daylight. Can this be resolved?

HP Intel ® Core

Quad CPU

Q8400 @226 GHz

8 GB Ram

750 Power Supply

NVidia GTX460 2GB

Windows 7

FSX Gold

I have never posted a screen shot so I will have to learn how to do it. As far as the airport, I am well aware and have been there many times. I have small cliffs and what appear to be, the edge of cliffs on the airport plateau.

I will attempt to take a screen shot and post it......as soon as I learn how.

Hi there,

thanks for posting the screenshot. It clearly shows that we're not talking about the real-world cliffs around the airport but rather some issue with the airport itself, probably due to a conflicting third-party airport file. Run a Windows search of your entire FSX folder for "KBIL". There should be three files in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_CRM05_SCENERY\scenery, plus an "elevation_adjustment" file in \Scenery World\scenery with a backup in \ORBX\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF. Any other file that shows up in the search is not ours and should be deactivated.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers, Holger

Holger, thanks for the reply and it seems to confirm what I have learned. I created a bgl. file for the City of Billings and added some buildings. When I placed that scenery above the ORBX files in the scenery library the anomoly occurred. When the ORBX files were above the City of Billings file then they were not there.

I have added some buildings to other ORBX cities with no issues. I have found that upon restarting MFS the ORBX files return to the top of the scenery library. Is that a normal occurance?

I have read that ORBX airports can be modified with airport designer tools. I would like to remove some military planes from an airport and add my own. Is that done by adding esclusion rectangles using Instant Scenery tools? Will doing that create problems with the airport?

Archived