[NOT A BUG] On approach to R35 Maryborough, Queensland

John York

re the rivers dried up to this pale yellow colour because its summer?

Best wishes

John

That is not a dried up river - that is a fair representation of a lot of rivers down here but they are nearly all different mainly because of the sediments that they pick up

Qld has a lot of summer rainfall

Hi JohnY,

seems your roads are a bit off the track there ;D

as for the river, looks like the muddy water they have down there, special for the Crocks, so they can grab ya easyer :D;)

Could you please be so kind and give us the exact coordinates for that spot, this so we can put it in the to repair list for the Dev's :D

many thankx in advance :)

Thanks for your replies Anthony, Quinn and Uhu.  That explains the rivers.  I didn't realise.

With regard to the coordinates of those roads Uhu, as I have no ordnance survey maps of Australia I'll need to do the circuit from Maryland Airport and read the coordinates given by the shift and 'z' system. If that will do, can you tell me please how I need to express them, eg a coordinate for the approximate centre of the area or four for the rough square/circle within which these roads appear, or even figures for the beginning and end of each road?

As you can tell, I've never done anything like this before and remember, I can't fly helicopters, they make me spin, ;D so none of the coordinates will be exact because they'll represent where the aircraft is rather than what I can see, if you see what I mean!

John

Hi Wolter

You asked for the 'exact spot'  but that's difficult to find for a road or area, so I'm doing the best I can by providing the figures for the roads affected from one end to the other.  Hope it's ok for your techies.

Ok, here you go; 

Lat.S                                                               Lon.E

Road running from...................................................25 deg. 32.72' - 32.00'......................................152 deg. 42.69' - 41.77'

And very long road with its off shoots from..................25 deg. 44.29' - 30.96'......................................152 deg. 35.08' - 42.51'

Tell me; (a)   Is this what you wanted and is there some way I can do it better for you?

(B)   Would you prefer me to notify you of any anomolies I find in future (Redline will tell you I seem to have a nose for them! ;D) somewhere other than this particular forum?

Best wishes

John

Hello John,

in regards to your original question, "... do these roads look right to you?": I agree that the different directional patterns look odd but it's the typical clash of residential roads "baked" into the generic ground texture with the vector roads (the ones with the lampposts) placed on top. It's one of the inherent trade-offs in FlightSim and there's very little developers can do about it.

The vector roads represent the real-world transportation network based on geographic data. If we were to remove them you wouldn't have anything to navigate by nor would there be road traffic.

The generic roads are part of the airphotos we used to make the ground textures from. People have suggested removing any roads from the generic textures but that would look odd too because then you'd have only building sites with no road access. Further, if we increased the density of the vector roads we'd have more issues with them suppressing autogen buildings or cutting through building footprints. Like I said, it's a trade-off.

Having said that, in some areas we actually removed some of the vector roads because the visual clash with the underlying texture was too much. I wouldn't count the area from your screenshot among those but if you find places that really stand out by all means do report them and we'll look into it.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger.

Yes, I suspected it would be the usual clash with the inherant landclass that was the cause of the seemingly misplaced roads so I was surprised that Wolter asked for the details, I quote; Could you please be so kind and give us the exact coordinates for that spot, this so we can put it in the to repair list for the Dev's '

Silly me, I thought maybe a break-through had been made.

Ah well, one day maybe. :)

And at least I learned something I didn't know before - how to get a top down view - but what I'll use it for I have no idea! :-\

John

Hi Holger.

And at least I learned something I didn't know before - how to get a top down view - but what I'll use it for I have no idea! :-\

John

If you ever start doing scenery design John you'll find that you spend most of your time on the computer in top-down/slew mode rather than doing any flying  ;)

Cheers Tony

I've no intention of doing that Tony, firstly because at one phase of my life I was involved in aerial photography interpretation and have no further interest in it, and secondly because following that road all that way in top down mode made me feel slightly sick.  Now, I simply like pictures and that sort of photography as a lifetime hobby, along with sim flying and other time consuming stuff like golf, and when I get the inspiration, writing.

Best wishes

John

Archived