Friendly Flusi reviews NZMF Milford Sound Airport

John Venema

John I have been trying to convert the language used to english with no luck. Would you be kind enough to explain a little as to where and how do I use Google translate . I looked all over the web page I was on and could find no help in translating.

Thanks--Ray S.

Hi Ray (and all interested),

perhaps this might help?

(the entire text is the sole property of the original author. The original text can be found here

/>http://www.friendlyflusi.at/index.php?page=Thread&postID=270802#post270802)

This is an unauthorised translation!

Cheers

Mallard

Today we are headed to the opposite end of the earth. Here, where hobbits and orcs are at home. Where there are more sheep than people and where nature is so overwhelming that one is almost bowled over by the amount of the impressions.

The plants and the animals of New Zealand’s South Island are already unique, but the Fjordland National Park really tops it all.

(excerpt from Wikipedia on Milford Sound)

For most of us this beautiful part of our planet will, due to many difficulties, never be something that we will ever get to see in reality. But for us flight-simmers there is now the possibility at least to virtually explore this part of New Zealand.

As we all know, ORBX/FTX are originally from a place not too far away from this part of the world and they have already produced sceneries that cover the entire North and South Island for FSX and P3D. And as already known from North America we now have the gems added to the scenery through the airports that round off the entire package.

One of these small but excellent scenery addons is now presented with NZMF – Milford Sound. Andreas Hegi and Heiko Glatthorn – and the entire team – have created something magical that really goes to the boundaries of what is currently possible in FSX. The authenticity with which the lovingly created details are presented is phenomenal. One can only say “thank you very much†for this great job!

I guess you can already tell that I am quite enthusiastic about this addon. But since I’m a fan of Down Under, the Kiwi lifestyle that I have had the opportunity to experience first-hand on several occasions I am constantly reminded of this with each virtual flight that I am undertaking here.

But some work has to be done first before we can take off – i.e. downloading and installing the file. Be advised that one absolutely must keep to the instructions prior to the installation and that one has to install and update the regional scenery package first. One should also update the latest library file if this is not already included. Otherwise there might be some problems that can spoil the fun.

Here you can see the necessary basic components for having fun with Milford Sound.

I won’t describe the setup procedure as all information that one could possibly need is described in the attached PDF instructions file. The procedure is not any different form all the other ORBX products.

The booklet quickly explains all one needs to know, i.e. the settings for PCs of various performance levels.

This is how we are welcomed in

or like this

…don’t worry – the doggy only wants to play.

The following images show the various top-down views on NZMF

That the already known Flows are implemented here is taken for granted, sound, creature, people flows etc. provide a lively atmosphere in which lots of flight simmers feel right at home and which awakens the explorer in us all.

Since NZMF is only a little strip at the end of a fjord one will only find a limited range of infrastructure. There is a road from Queenstown and Te Anau which brings tourists in busses who have to be patient for several hours before they finally arrive at Milford Sound. A hotel, piers for whale watching and sightseeing boats, the “airport†with its tower and some barracks. That’s all there is and that’s all one wants here – nature is what counts, and there certainly is a lot of that here.

Taken with another piece of flying equipment from higher up, it shows the area around the airport with the hotel, piers, car park and roads.

The airport itself is quite limited with its tower, apron and static GA. Everything one could expect is there – ranging from the animated broom-swinging airport employee to passengers, pilots and spectators.

The signs, fences and even a garbage bin for organic waste – nothing has been left out.

And here we have the misshapen Dachshund which already welcomed us at the beginning, together with is masters.

Spread out all over the airport we can see helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft shown as static flow. Due to the surrounding environment AI cannot be implemented here.

But we do get lots of things moving in the air and the water – dolphins and orcas as well as birds and butterflies can be chased ;)

Oh yes – and then there are these things called Dandelions which according to the setting panel should be visible from May to October.

Who would have thought that they mean the common flower! [rem.: known in German as Löwenzahn]

As mentioned before, Milford Sound is a very limited settlement with a hotel and the adjoining infrastructure that can be used by the tourists wanting to do their sightseeing by land and water.

There is lots to see, especially with the right aircraft – tubeliners, however, do not belong among them. Piston-rattlers, whirlybirds and water-gliders – that’s what you want to use here. Your virtual flying skills will be put to the test if you want to fly and land unharmed in these narrow valleys.

Since it is such a limited area they did not only design the little airport. There are two additional areas with strips that are no less interesting. One the one hand there is Quintin Lodge, lying at the end of a deep valley with a cascading waterfall but very difficult to approach – especially with larger equipment.

A bit further away, lying on the Tasman Sea there is the Lodge at Martins Bay. Both parts belong to the scenery package and are – of course – livened up with butterflies, great plants and everything what we have come to know from ORBX animated scenery. Sailing boats, static aircraft and buildings typical to the landscape are depicted.

Approaching the short, narrow gravelled runway

The surrounding mountains of this rather complex fjord are modeled as well, as is quite a stretch along the Tasman Sea.

The small lodges and Milford Sound itself, which lends its name to the scenery package, together with its airport provide a complete and harmonious entity with a high recognition value.

What I personally am missing is seeing the occasional cruise ship come steaming up the fjord – something that is quite often seen in real life.

The seasons are not of much importance here, at sea level the temperatures in winter rarely fall below freezing for longer periods of time.

This is why snow textures are not visible along the coast, even in hard winter. The surrounding mountains could, however, have done with some more coating of snow in the winter months between July and September.

If you do not want to fly directly from NZMF then one should try a trip departing from Te Anau or Queenstown.

By the way, both of these airports are enhanced within the NZ SI scenery package and show improved airport buildings and the necessary equipment.

All in all this is a highly recommendable individual scenery that in my opinion absolutely belongs to the South Island. Of course you will have to set your priorities due to its price. But those of you who have found their flight-simming home in this part of the southern hemisphere should not give it a miss.

If I have piqued your interest and you would like to find out more about the product then click here.

Review for FriendlyFlusi by Klaus / ubootwilli

Regards

Klaus

Hi Mallard,thank u for the translate of my Review Milford Sound.

you're the doc of Navy CSI :-)))

Thanks for the translation of my review. My written English is not so good, read and speak not as the big problem for me ... But write, because I miss the exercise and the grammar.

Let's see if the next time I review my grandson can help me, or somebody else.

best greetings from good old germany

Klaus Peter / or sub (ubootwilli)

it 's translate bye Google

Archived