FTX Global Question

ba43

Hi John,

I am planning on getting FTX Global and I apologize if I missed this information elsewhere, but I believe that you said Ground Environment X would not be compatible option since its another FSX texture replacement product.

If somebody who currently owns GEX has several GEX regions installed, would FTX Global have any kind of regional selection to it available? Maybe something like that might be an option in an update down the road?

Thereby being able to have FTX textures in play in areas of the world except where a region of GEX already is used.

Or will it be FTX Global for the entire world and that means a choice of GEX or FTX in the same region?

I am curious how this will work since I have GEX for North America but also want to use FTX Global as well if I can in other regions where I don't have GEX.

Brad

You uninstall GEX completely. It uses "regions" which are in fact just six lots of complete replacement sets of FSX textures. They did it that way because of restrictions in the FSX SDK in terms of landclass variants available. Problem is, that means a lot of wasted disk space as you swap regions in and out, not to mention the fragmentation issues it causes and the time it takes in loading regions as you traverse the world.

We get around that completely by using our custom lclookup.bgl that allows us to implement many more classes than FSX default has. We are in a manner of speaking, making a new simulator default. Once you install FTX Global you don't need to use any other 3rd party texture sets because we cover the whole world.

Additionally we will make FTX Global control our standard full-featured FTX regions and not need them to be switched if you have FTX Global installed.

People have been asking for Orbx to make our own simulator; this is our way of doing just that. The beauty of our approach is that FTXG will constantly evolve, grow, improve and get better and better every month.

Getting FTX Global is like saying "I am choosing the Orbx Platform and not going back". You are making a commitment to use our textures the world over and we believe there are tens of thousands of our customers who will make that choice, effectively crowdsource funding a new simulator.

We get around that completely by using our custom lclookup.bgl that allows us to implement many more classes than FSX default has.

If that is the case, how will FTX Global relate to landclass products that are based on the regions and texture system used by FSX as explained in the FSX Terrain SDK?

Will FTX replace cold grassland with cold grassland, or something completely different? Can the added classes be used by products outside of the ORBX FTX sphere?

If that is the case, how will FTX Global relate to landclass products that are based on the regions and texture system used by FSX as explained in the FSX Terrain SDK?

Will FTX replace cold grassland with cold grassland, or something completely different? Can the added classes be used by products outside of the ORBX FTX sphere?

Yes of course we will make it compatible with LC products but also use custom LC to go further.

Getting FTX Global is like saying "I am choosing the Orbx Platform and not going back". You are making a commitment to use our textures the world over and we believe there are tens of thousands of our customers who will make that choice, effectively crowdsource funding a new simulator.

Well, count me as one 'not going back.' I said before this will be like FSXI. FS is a great foundation to build the future on. Other sims are missing too many features, or just don't look right for me to even consider. Giving FS a global make-over will really make it sing. Can't wait.

Archived