Orbx Recommended FSX Hardware

yallu

There's a lot of great HW info here. Great comments from the FTX devs as well. But it's all spread out there in different threads and re-asked many times. So to make it simple, I was wondering if it was possible for Orbx to maintain 2 or 3 different computer components recommendations sticky for the FSX simmers:

1. The ultimate computer for FSX (jaykay style)

2. Not ultimate but not budget either for FSX

3. Best budget computer for FSX

Something simple along the lines (just a dummy sample):

GPU: GTX 280

CPU: 2 x Core Quad 9650

MOB: Intel 5400

HDD: 10000 RPM RAID-0

PWR: 700W

FPS: 40-60 (target FPS range you should be close to with this combo)

Etc. Mayby a line of text telling why these components together give a good FSX performance.

These threads tend to become wars so mayby lock the topic or make it clear it's just Orbx opinion :). Propably too much to ask, but what the heck, I'll do it anyway... :)

Yeah, I've been through the threads but can't find (for me) a concise summary of the three best options.

I'm about to upgrade my computer to get the best out of FTX and would really appreciate some advice from gurus like John and Wolter.

In essence I want to fly with the sliders maxed out as much as possible so that I can fully enjoy scenery such as YMML.

Could they or someone spell out what system I should be getting, what it's likely to cost and recommend a supplier in Aust or NZ.

I'm determined to have it up and running before Red is released so I would be grateful for some help asap.

Many thanks.

FrankĀ 

Hi Frank,

it is not easy to just tell you what to get, it depends for a great deal on what your budget is and what your personal preferences are.

out of the top of my head I would go for the following:

Asus MoBo (Striker II Extreme)

Quad core Intel processor (the fastest one you can get/afford)

4 gig DDR3 RAM (

minimal 800 watt PSU (BeQuiet)

A large case for plenty of cooler fans

nVidia 280 Vidcard (1 Gig)

Creative SoundBlaster Sound card

XP SP3

As for pricing and where to get it would be a bit of a guessing game for me as I'm not in New Zeeland and haven't got an idea wich store is best for acquiring :

a. the hardware

b. the knowledge to build such a system

c. the support they could / can offer.

This is what I got last July and that did set me back 2,300 Euro's, wich at the current rate of exchange would be approx. 5,028.93 NZD, wich is quite some money !

mobo~ ASUS Striker II NSE

CPU~ Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 s775

CPU Cooler~ Scythe Mugen CPU Cooler

RAM~ 4Gig Team eXtreem DARK RAM DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800 C7-7-7-21-2T

HD's~ 4 x Seagate Barracuda 500G SATAII 7.200rpm (setup as 2 RAID 0 Arrays)

VCA~ EVGA-GeForce 9800GTX SC 512MB

PSU~ BeQuiet 700W ATX V2.2 PSU Straight Power, 24/20pins, active pfc, 2xpci-e, 8xsata, 4x12V Rails

SC~ Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

DVDR~ 1x Samsung DVD RW+/-DL SH230P black

OS~ Windows XPproSP3 UKversion

case~ Antec Performance One P182

Hi Frank,

There was some extensive testing done at the ORBX premesis with a Vista 64 system and an XP SP3 system (identical hardware), at the end of the day the extra investment on the Vista 64 didn't cut it as far as I know and the XP SP3 system still outperformed the Vista one ::)

and I'll bet you there will chime people in that do not agree with this .........lol :D

best is maybe to ask John Venema as he did test out the contraptions ;)

Being a pain i know but why do we still talk in inch's for LCD computer (New Tech) monitor when for TV's (old tech)its (mostly) cm's?

Why do we still use feet and knots in aviation? (that's a rhetorical question) I was educated in the pounds shillings and pence days, learned decimals, can think, kid myself that I'm half intellegent, and so who cares? Call them inches, call them metres, use a calculator, work it out in your head - it's all part of this crazy world we call homeĀ  ;D

Archived