Solid State disk

mikee

Hello, i need your opinion concerning Solid State Disk . Which one is the best for fsx :

KINGSTON HyperX 3K Portable External Hard Drive-480 GB(black)SATA 6.0 Gb/s or 512GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SATA 6Gb/s (SATA III) ? As far as i know FSX is more cpu dependant. Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thank you, Mike

mikee, as my signature reveals, I recently upgraded my rig. In doing so, I opted for the Samsung SSD 512 GB as the main drive. Not only doees Windows load in a matter of seconds but contary to other's sugestions I have found that MFSX loads in mere seconds as well. I couldn't be happier.

My hardware supplier was full of praise for the realibity of the Samsung product.

mikee, as my signature reveals, I recently upgraded my rig. In doing so, I opted for the Samsung SSD 512 GB as the main drive. Not only doees Windows load in a matter of seconds but contary to other's sugestions I have found that MFSX loads in mere seconds as well. I couldn't be happier.

My hardware supplier was full of praise for the realibity of the Samsung product.

Thank you for your reply mra, I understand that MFSX loads faster but how about frames did you see any improvement or not ?

There will be NO improvement in frames/sec.

This is in-line with what you would expect. Disk loading does not limit FPS.

Either disc will function fine in FSX. Given that I own some of the M4 drives, I would personally go that way, or an OCZ Vertex4.

The key figure is not the 6Gb/sec SATAIII capability, it is the sustained read speed (usually approx 500Mb/sec for this generation of drive)

There will be NO improvement in frames/sec.

This is in-line with what you would expect. Disk loading does not limit FPS.

Either disc will function fine in FSX. Given that I own some of the M4 drives, I would personally go that way, or an OCZ Vertex4.

The key figure is not the 6Gb/sec SATAIII capability, it is the sustained read speed (usually approx 500Mb/sec for this generation of drive)

Thank you very much Ian for your fast reply, I have found one Crucial M4 ssd 512gb 2.5" sata 6gb/s in a very good deal , its read speed is up to 415Mbps, would this be any problem because as you mentioned above , speed up to 500Mb/sec ?

I have an OCZ Revo PCI-e 240gb, but it was horrendously expensive.

I think I paid about 800 bucks for it, but for FSX, I've never had better.

I also run the OCZ Max IOPS drive, but the Revo is much quicker. It could also be the 3960x that it's running with, tho....

Frank

• 2 months later...

This thread makes it clear that SSD's load FSX faster than HD's, got it. I may have missed something else that I want to know about.

Do both Windows 7 and FSX have to be on the same SSD?

If FSX is on an SSD and Windows 7 is on a separate HD that is the boot drive, will FSX still load faster and get the benefits of the SSD?

Does having FSX on a SSD reduce micro stutters?

Because of all the contradictory information circulating I would appreciate your indicating if you have experienced what you include in your reply or if you are reporting back what you have heard or read.

Thanks for your help and keep the oily side down.

This thread makes it clear that SSD's load FSX faster than HD's, got it. I may have missed something else that I want to know about.

No, I have Win 7 on an SSD and FSX on a HD

If FSX is on an SSD and Windows 7 is on a separate HD that is the boot drive, will FSX still load faster and get the benefits of the SSD?

The answer to that question, at least for me, is a big YES!! Keep in mind FSX load times are also affected by other things( number of add-ons, scenery complexities, etc) but for me the improvement was a drastic one. FSX now loads in about a third of the time then prior.

Does having FSX on a SSD reduce micro stutters?

I will have to let someone else chime in here.

Because of all the contradictory information circulating I would appreciate your indicating if you have experienced what you include in your reply or if you are reporting back what you have heard or read.

Thanks for your help and keep the oily side down.

George,

I hope this information helps!!

Gary

Many thanks Gary for the very useful information. You have cleared up all that I asked about based on your experience.

Now, I hope someone will come in and take up the micro-stutters. I am already running an i-7 at 3 Mhz and an increase to 4 MHZ will not add much. With autogen at very dense and unlimited frame rate I get 25 FPS or more now outside of places like downtown Seattle. Limiting the frame rate yields no more smoothness. The 12 GB of ram is more than enough.

Am I hitting the hardware limits that result in the micro-stutters?

In my view, the difference between one SSD and another is tiny compared to the difference between a mechanical HDD and even the slowest SSD. I'd say go for the biggest SSD in the price range you can afford.

Running P3D off a dedicated 120GB SSD here - it doesn't improve frame rate or reduce blurries when the system is overloaded, but it does reduce the initial load time quite a bit.

As for micro-stutters, I got them all the time in FSX. With P3D and a few tweaks (usepools=0, fps locked at 30, Vsync set to Adaptive - Half Refreshrate and a few others) they're gone. It's not totally smooth all the time (because of my older system), but when I'm seeing 15 FPS over Seattle, it looks smoother than 25 FPS with constant micro-stutters and lurches.

George, I strongly recommend to keep the system and the "data octopus" FSX on different drives. Just a question of hygiene to your operating system.

With autogen at very dense and unlimited frame rate I get 25 FPS or more now outside of places like downtown Seattle.

25 fps near the well-known frame-killer Seattle - you can be truly satisfied. A little bit of traffic added (50% air, 16 % car, 40 % water) brings me down to 15-20 - glad it stays smooth.

Jimmie and Gerold,

You have given me good basic information and I will use it. Again, many thanks. The Samsung Pro SSD's seem to be the most highly recommended and now I just have to get the money together (story of life).

Jimmie, the following information that you gave, (usepools=0, fps locked at 30, Vsync set to Adaptive - Half Refreshrate and a few others) are things I do not recognize at all. Searching my system turns up none of it. The Nvidia Control Panel also gives me nothing. Could you please give me a little more information about where to look on my system for these settings and what to do after I get there?

As always, one question leads to another and I appreciate your patience and help.

George

Archived