KSFF - Birds and Gulls Sounds - Is This Correct?

fltsimguy

I have been flying around Spokane for a couple of hours on and off, lots of circuits and I notice that I have sea gulls and some other chirping birds sounds on the tarmac at Felts and over the waterfalls near downtown.

The birds sounds are very loud, and the sound loop is very short and repetitive.

Is this supposed to be part of this scenery?

There is no ability to turn on and off in the controller that I can see.

I actually do like environmental sounds but these seem particularly annoying to me, too loud and very short sound loop. Particularly when flying over the waterfalls downtown I would not expect to hear birds, perhaps waterfalls.

come to think of it there might be some water sounds mixed in there as well.

Regarding my question above and ability to shut off sounds? Or modify to something softer?

Hi,

this scenery is fantastic! Btw as I fly over the falls in what I suppose is Spokane downtown, I hear a loud noise of gulls, way too loud probably. Maybe a sound file in FSX/Sound folder? When I load up ORBX scenery I don't have any other scenery in my config scenery.

Cheers

Fabio

G'day Bryan,

There are no environmental sounds included in either KSFF nor NRM, so perhaps you have another addon that may be interfering? Do you have any other non-ORBX scenery packages installed that may be causing the issue?

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad...I thought as much...however in total I have some 500+ addon scenery packages, payware and freeware installed.

What I will try to do is see if I can find the sound file and fx file that might lead me to the origin of the sound.

I will also look for eastern washington, and spokane area airports but to the best of my knowledge for this area all I have is Orbx enhancements.

Interesting that another user has also heard the gulls. That tells me that its not just the Christmas rum and eggnog talking.

Any other users check this out and hear anything?

Follow-up!

1. Unchecked in scenery library KSFF ie not activated. And, rebooted FSX to start at KSFF with my default plane. No bird or environment sounds at airport of downtown.

2. Checked in scenery library KSFF ie activated. And, rebooted FSX to start at KSFF with my default plane. Immediately, the birds started up, same loop. Flew to downtown, birds faded away and then returned very loudly over the waterfalls and spokane river area downtown.

3. Checked all my sceneries, sound files, fx files. could not find the offending files. I have a Yakima scenery installed, checked it there are no sounds associated with that one either.

I am almost at a total loss on this problem.

I am thinking that I have heard these sounds somewhere before....and I am suspecting Misty Moorings addons. But why would they play at Spokane and only when Orbx scenery is activated?

Damn peculiar (says Captain Kirk, aboard the Enterprise)!

All I know is that these sounds are very very annoying and I would like to stop them.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I found the offending sound file:

"FSAddon_sounds_gulls.wav"

I will have to check which FSAddon package uses this file, perhaps several do.

However, this does not explain how this file becomes activated with the installation of KSFF. I am suspecting object flow or something triggering this. And it activates it in two different locations.

I also think I hear a water ocean wave sound.

I traced this back to Vancouver +

fx_HS_V+_FSX_sounds_gulls2

Now to find out why it is activating when KSFF is activated.

Perhaps Holger knows?

Hold that though...I don't think I have quite figured it out yet.

G'day Bryan,

I seem to recall (but couldn't find a direct link when searching for) a recent freeware birds add-on for PNW - this wouldn't be related to by any chance would it? There shouldn't be any reason any KSFF-related files are calling sound effects at all, unless another (non-ORBX) product has replaced a default FSX file with a modified version? Just for my curiosity's sake, could you disable waterfalls in the CP and see if this changes anything?

Cheers,

Jarrad

G'day Bryan,

I seem to recall (but couldn't find a direct link when searching for) a recent freeware birds add-on for PNW - this wouldn't be related to by any chance would it? There shouldn't be any reason any KSFF-related files are calling sound effects at all, unless another (non-ORBX) product has replaced a default FSX file with a modified version? Just for my curiosity's sake, could you disable waterfalls in the CP and see if this changes anything?

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad, the add-on your referring to I believe is "Birds in PFJ". That package does not have any sound files related to the birds but just draws upon the default "birds" objects available and locates them in and around 100 odd airports. The problem I recently found out about this addon was the it causes (and I don't understand why, something to do with the boundary box of the objects I think) autogen suppression. It did so for me at Bella Coola so I deleted it. Incidently, I then added my own birds and there is no autogen suppression so go figure.

Anyway, I'll try your suggestion and report back as that makes sense because there are waterfalls immediately adjacent to both places where the sound effect occurs.

I disabled the waterfalls as you suggested, restarted FSX at KSFF and the gulls sounds were NOT present at the airport nor downtown. That seems to suggest a correlation!

What do you think? Are the water effects controller somehow interacting with sound effects?

Bryan

I would be really interested in know if anyone else who has purchase KSFF and also has Vancouver +v3 might have similar results.

Argg, now this "tasks" me. Gets me wondering what modified what exactly. Well it's late here now, I'll have to take a look at this again tomorrow. I should be able to see what you are doing exactly and what files your calling on and related to the files that might be the problem. As I mentioned earlier most certainly the gulls sound file IS the sound that I am hearing.

I'll have to check that it's not one of my own masterpieces somewhere that is messing with my mind.

Argg, now this "tasks" me. Gets me wondering what modified what exactly. Well it's late here now, I'll have to take a look at this again tomorrow. I should be able to see what you are doing exactly and what files your calling on and related to the files that might be the problem. As I mentioned earlier most certainly the gulls sound file IS the sound that I am hearing.

I'll have to check that it's not one of my own masterpieces somewhere that is messing with my mind.

Hello Bryan , i have exactly the same problem, annoying bird sounds! I have installed a non-orbx scenery which is the Aerosoft's Gibraltar, and i am pretty sure that the sounds are the same!!! I have no idea what is going on or why this is happening. I can hear the same sounds when i select to fly KSFF! This is very weird and i do not know how to fix it (except if i unistall aerosoft's addon) and see if this fixes the problem! Do you have this scenery installed as well?

Hi guys,

just for the record, since I've made the sound and effect files in question and placed them in Vancouver+ and Tongass Fjords X: neither product alters the default effect files and instead adds three custom effect files starting with "fx_HS_V+_FSX_sounds_ ...". Since these effects then reside in the global \Effects folder any other third-party placement file can reference them, deliberately or by mistake.

The default waterfall effects -- fx_WaterFall.fx and fx_WaterFall_Small.fx -- also call a sound file ("Waterfall-LRG.wav") but that's different from the custom Vancouver+ seagulls sounds. The date stamps of the default waterfall files are July 27, 2006 and August 14, 2006, respectively.

Cheers, Holger

Morning Holger. That's what I need. I more or less knew which files they were but the date stamp info will be helpful.

I'll have only a bit of time this morning to look at this on my setup as grandkids school concerts are taking the priority today as they should.

I'll report back on anything I find.

I have a freeware Gibraltar only.

OK hear is what I found:

1. I have the correct waterfall.fx files with the correct date stamp and calling the correct reference to waterfall-LRG.wav

2. I have also a file in fx immediately below those two called "fx_WaterFallSplash.fx" which has a Display Name=Niagara Small Falls and calls a [sound] file called "wavebig1.wav"

The wavebig1.wav file sounds very similar to the sounds I am hearing, a wave crash and gulls screeching and bird calls. I think this is it.

Does the KSFF waterfalls call "fx_WaterFallSplash.fx" because if it does then it is activating the above file and therefore I (we) would get this gulls sound?

If not, then there is some other issue.

CONFIRMED!

I replaced the fx_WaterFallSplash.fx sound call which was calling wavebig1 to industrial machine noise.

I turned on the CP waterfall effect and rebooted FSX.

I now have industrial machine noise instead of gulls.

So the waterfalls must also have a waterfall splash effect using the above fx file.

So then the question is: what sound is this effect calling? Is it the wavebig1? And if it isn't then what should it sound like? If there are no gulls then this sound file has been overwritten to something other than the original.

The FIX might be to remove the above fx file from the bgl for these effects.

Another might be to edit the above file and replace the call to wavebig1 to waterfall-LRG.

Or if mine has somehow been corrupted then get the correct sound call for this effect and edit the file.

My fx_WaterFallSplash.fx file looks like this.

[Library Effect]

Lifetime=5

Version=2.00

Display Name=Niagara Small Falls

Radius=200

Priority=5

[sound]

FileName=wavebig1.wav

MinAttenuationDistance=300.00

Looping=TRUE

So if I remove "wavebig1.wav" and replace it with "Waterfall-LRG.wav", then all is well for this scenery.

New x_WaterFallSplash.fx would look like

[sound]

FileName=Waterfall-LRG.wav

MinAttenuationDistance=300.00

Looping=TRUE

Hi Brian,

actually, the default fx_WaterFallSplash.fx file doesn't have any associated sound effect meaning if you wanted to restore the original you should remove the [sound] section. Only fx_WaterFall.fx and fx_WaterFall_Small.fx call the default Waterfall-LRG.wav.

Let us know if you ever figure out what add-on actually replaced the default version.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Brian,

actually, the default fx_WaterFallSplash.fx file doesn't have any associated sound effect meaning if you wanted to restore the original you should remove the [sound] section. Only fx_WaterFall.fx and fx_WaterFall_Small.fx call the default Waterfall-LRG.wav.

Let us know if you ever figure out what add-on actually replaced the default version.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger, I also have a default FSX backup on another drive and checked those files and found out exactly what you have noted. So, ultimately the FIX is to restore the original file, which I have done.

But the question remains, how did this file get modified? This may be an impossible task. I will look around but I'm not too keen on spending tons of time looking for the needle in the haystack when just getting a new needle does the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Bryan.i'm having the problem but will probably have to wait for a patch.i'm not very confident when it comes to doing repairs needed to fix the problem....cheers Bill

Bill, check you PMs I can help you through it. The problem is not Orbx in nature so there will be no patch to fix it.

Archived