Installed Tas freeware, Bris YBBN now a swamp

petfy

I installed the freeware Orbx Tasmanian demo, and now the land class scenery around Brisbane airport (YBBN) has dramatically changed. To me it now appears that the airport is floating in a swamp rather than the normal default FSX green field.

If I use FTX central to set the scenery back to FSX, Brisbane airport returns to normal.

If I purchase any Orbx scenery, is this going to happen to other airports not in that scenery section?

I have no Orbx or any other scenery packages. Nor any third party packages such as AI aircraft.

This is an straight "unmodified" FSX install on Win 7, with then the freeware holgermesh, and then the freeware Orbx Tasmania packages installed.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am now having this problem at other airports, but at only certain times of the year.

Here is my theory.

When FSX cant find scenery/texture tiles for a particular area, it will use random ones from near the area, hence YBBN land textures having water and marsh textures superimposed.

Today, 1 June 2013, the same thing is happening with YPAD YPPH YMML YSSY YSBK YMEN but not YBCS YBMK YBRM. Overseas airports dont have the problem either. I note that the season is "fall" in the time of year box and setting it to any other time of year stops the problem. So why does it happen to some airports and not others.

I put forward that it only happens to areas that have a common texture class area with an ORBX area, thus the ones that have this problem share a temperate land class with the Tas ORBX area, but those that do not have the problem dont share the common land class (ie Tropical). I suspect that ORBX is interfering with FSX airport land textures at certain times of the year, possibly when the date (ie 1 June) does not correspond with the season (ie fall, which actually should be winter).

Any comments?

Figured that I had missing airport ground textures, so tried a FSX repair, but that left me with FSX having a fatal error immediatly on start up. Restored it from a backup. Do not want to completely reinstall as it would be the third in four weeks.

Can live with the error, as long as I remember to set the season to summer or spring in Australian temperate zones.

Hopefully FTX Global will fix it by adding its own textures for the missing(?) FSX textures.

Reinstalled AU Gold (previously purchased, Tas demo previously removed) as the simforum thread (above) suggested, but this had no effect.

What I did find was that in the FTX Central with Australia activated, that this problem occurred, but with FSX Default activated. there was no problem.

So....... it is not a missing FSX texture file, but a missing FTX texture file. Anyone got any ideas which one, and how I get it?

FSS0186309

Only seems to be a bright yellow texture that is playing up. At YBBN in summer (making it look like a desert) and at YSSY in winter.

With the iminent release of FTX Global, this could all be just academic.

This is YSSY on 3/6/13

xeyfW.jpg

However, if you set the date to May, the correct light yellow texture is displayed (as it should be). So the correct texture is there (not deleted).

It is not confined to airports. Flying south from YPKG some distance, the scenery becomes horrendous (as it is the same light yellow texture).

Will not be able to respond to forum for a few days.

Archived