Is Re-Setting fsx.cfg Safe (& Useful)?

Lepres

My PC has good specs with most settings to max, though there are the occasional micro-stutters, especially when viewing left or right in VC. Read that deleting / resetting fsx.cfg can work like a charm. Is this safe? Is it really helpful?

Thanks.

To remove any dormant 'tweaks' that might be hindering performance yes, as a lot of tweaks may do something on their own but when combined can cause bad performance

And yes its completely safe, you will only need to reset your slider settings

Safe yes useful, well that depends on your point of view, it is one of the safest ways of diagnosing many issues relating to the config. Just rename it from fsx.cfg to fsx.cfg.BAK and you can form your own opinion.

I have never understood this mechanism in detail but I have read about this in several forum messages (including this forum).

What exactly happens when I rename the fsx.cfg to fsx.cfg.BAK f.e. and restart FSX afterwards ? Will there be a new fsx.cfg generated by FSX with default (?) settings and what have I lost?

Due to recommendations in the guidelines I have also saved a dedicated Orbx fsx.cfg, a fsx.cfg dedicated for The Netherlands and a fsx.cfg special for the Beechcraft Duke.

Is anything lost when loading one of those after a new generation ?

Can someone explain this to me or point to an article or...

Thanks in advance.

-Fred-

Thanks Wolter, that's clear, but what happens to the settings for add-on planes e.g. Are those settings also lost due to non-default settings, or are those settings not part of the fsx.cfg file at all.

I am not familiar what's in the fsx.cfg file ???

Any clue, link or document for a detailed explanation of that file is welcome.

Cheers,

-Fred-

Archived