RAF Museum Colindale, London

Bassman

Just returned home after six weeks on the continent, United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.

A highlight was a visit to RAF Museum at Colindale (London).

A brilliant display of numerous aircraft and RAF memorabilia.

If you ever visit UK this is a must see, very easypublic train transport and no entry fee!!!to the museum.

There are a couple of gimmicky simulations that do incur a fee, but you can give a miss as they are more like amusement park rides.

Anyway, kudos to the management and members of the museum.

Ah, RAF Hendon. Those were the days. I was posted there in 1967 when the museum was being built. I was a supply wallah dealing with the procurement of stuff.(shelves, cupboards, chairs and tables etc; nothing exciting) I left the air force in 1972, just before the museum opened. I've always promised myself a visit but never got round to it.

I managed to get my wife to accompany me round Duxford so I very much doubt she'd be up for Hendon!

I've always promised myself a visit but never got round to it.

Several years ago I used to live in your neck of the woods and was glad I went to the museum at Hendon when I had the chance as it would be an overnighter for me now.

You must go! It's one of the best air museums I've been to.

Steve

I used to love spending time there when I was a kid, living within a twenty minute drive had its advantages. One of my favourite things was to spend several rotations of Elgar's Nimrod standing, fixated on the wreckage of the Spitfire that had been recovered from a lake somewhere. It's been a while since I last visited though ~ I'll pencil that one into my action plan for my next holiday period.

I,ve been there last February , with my son and my father,(actually this is my third visit). It is a fantastic museum with excellent displays, from WW2 aircraft to modern fighters and helis....All flight enthusiast must visit it someday.

Archived