Adding to Orbx Melbourne - Points of interest.

Capnsully

Gaaaa, I haven't touched Blender for many, many months. It's coming back quickly though!

I love the Orbx and OZx stuff, but feel it can feature a few more VFR points of interest - hence this post. I've never built an FSX object, having done quite a bit of Xplane scenery fiddling only, but the learning curve should be ok. Then again, one of you scenery gurus might tell me that it's not possible to just pop a few items on top of the Orbx stuff? I'll join up over at OZx too.

This is the major shopping centre near YMMB, 'Southland', so big it crosses the highway with a 'retail bridge'. It's not far from me so I went for a 30 min walk around the eastern 'block' for some piccies. Wish me luck, if it goes ok I'll start doing more. I might try the same shape in Sketchup too, that's so much easier!

Posted Image

Ugh, we all need to appreciate our devs! This took me a lot longer than I thought, probably just outta practice! Not 100% accurate, but hey, I'm not charging. The important thing is that this building should be immediately recognisable from any angle. i'll cross the road and get the images for the western end of the building soon. I have no idea if it's too hefty in details - it has 600 triangles but only uses about a sixth of a 2048 texture.

If I can get the bridge height just right, it'll make a great aerobatics target or a deadly Dodosim heli challenge!

Posted Image

Thanks! I'm keeping room for any other major landmarks, like Mordy Pier, Academy, oh also i'm yet to texture the western block of southland, though that looks fairly bland. So the texture file will slowly be filled as I go along. Took pics of the Macca's nearby too. The aim of this will be to keep fps impact to minimum.

Funny, I see many FSX sceneries use multiple textures, whereas X-Plane only allows one per object. So I've got a strict discipline ingrained!

Archived